Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

Great review of the Abraham, Tim. :) I agreed with much of what you said (I'm getting a bit tired of the PoV chapter structure myself, and did think some of the characters weren't as deep as in other books I've read), but I did enjoy book #2 a lot more, and will hopefully be able to read the third one soon, which is supposed to be awesome. :D

Thanks, that's good to know. Can't remember if you said or not, have you read The Long Price?

Too far, Tim, too far.  :(    :no: You gone done made this personal now!   :mad:

Oh no! Forgot there was more of you Malazanites  :hide:  Don't worry you'll be in Sanderson's corner soon. Muahaha!  :hyper:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that's good to know. Can't remember if you said or not, have you read The Long Price?

I haven't, no, but I'd be willing to give it a go since I've enjoyed the Dagger & Coin quite a bit. :)

Oh no! Forgot there was more of you Malazanites   :hide:  Don't worry you'll be in Sanderson's corner soon. Muahaha!   :hyper:

:lol: Perhaps I could be the bridge between the two sides? :D

:lol: Perhaps I could be the bridge between the two sides? :D

I'd call Hedge and Fiddler, get some Moranth munitions, and let them have some fun :giggle2:

Nah, I'm sure you'll like Sanderson, Laura.  I wish I could get as excited about his books as others seem to.  I've tried (I've read four) and enjoyed parts of each of them, but something about them in general just doesn't work for me :shrug:  Maybe it's something about the way he let his religious beliefs seep through into all of them :shrug:  I suppose you could say he's an 'oxymormon' :giggle2:   I expect I'll still be tempted to give Words of Radiance a go at some point, even though I should know better by now  :rolleyes:

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask you: have you read anything by Joe Hill? I've been eyeing his stuff up for a while but haven't spoken to anyone who's actually read any of it . . .

Yeah I've read all his novels so far, I've reviewed Horns and NOS4R2.

I started with Heart Shaped Box which was good but I'd say Horns and NOS4R2 are better.

Nah, I'm sure you'll like Sanderson, Laura.  I get excited about his books to.  I've enjoyed them,  something about them in general just does work for me.

Straight from the horses mouth!! (abridged version)

I suppose you could say he's an 'oxymormon' :giggle2:  

:rolleyes:

:doh:

:giggle2:

Yeah I've read all his novels so far, I've reviewed Horns and NOS4R2.

I started with Heart Shaped Box which was good but I'd say Horns and NOS4R2 are better.

Oh, nice reviews. :) I was planning on starting with HSB too, but really like the sound of NOS4R2 (would you believe I only just figured out what the title was? :giggle2: )

ETA: The post doesn't like having your names above the quotes, for some reason . . .

ETA2: Never mind, they've re-appeared now!

Edited by Signor Finzione

^ Not consciously, but it's still a handy list to have, and I've also enjoyed showing it to other keen readers. :smile:

I do that too :lol:

I finished Patriot Games by Tom Clancy, which my first book of his I've read. It was OK, the main problem is that it was simply too long and slow. Tonnes of unnecessary scenes with pointless dialogue. The action, when it eventually happened was really good and not over the top. I would have given it 9/10 if the others scenes hadn't pulled it down to a 7/10. I think I will read a couple more of the Jack Ryan books, but not just yet. I certainly preferred it to Jack Reacher.

I also finished part 1 of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It is good, not brilliant, the series certainly has potential. Some characters are much more interesting than others but he clearly has plans for them all. Going to have a break before reading the next half.

Edited by Timstar

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Way of Kings part one :). Will you write a review when you've read the second part?

Yeah I will, can't really write a review for the first half of a book. Probably won't get around to it until after the reading circle book which will be after Excalibur by Bernard Cornwell.

Glad you enjoyed the Sanderson, Tim. Just out of curiosity: what's the closest thing you'd compare it to?

Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not sure I've really read enough fantasy yet to make a good comparison, but his magic systems are always unique and interesting and Stormlight is no exception. Though the first Mistborn is still my favourite of his so far.

Hmm, that's a good question. I'm not sure I've really read enough fantasy yet to make a good comparison, but his magic systems are always unique and interesting and Stormlight is no exception. Though the first Mistborn is still my favourite of his so far.

I've heard a lot about his magic systems from a lot of different people - I'm expecting big things from old Branders! :giggle2:

Good to know Mistborn is your favourite - The Final Empire is on my 'try and read soon' pile. :)

I do wonder about his preoccupation with magic systems, and the need to explain everything.  Sometimes, to me, it makes the magic make less sense when it's explained in such detail.  I don't remember Tolkien ever explaining the magic in LotR, and it made it all the more magical, imo :shrug:

Out of the four of his books I've read, I think the first Mistborn is the one I liked the most, too.  There was much I did like in The Way of Kings, believe it or not.  I liked the setting for the battles, and I liked the whole idea of the bridges, which gave it the feel of a WWII movie, like they were landing craft on D-Day (although those sequences did get a little repetitive over the course of such a long book), and the shards, or whatever they were called.  I loved the artwork, which gave the book a very polished feel and was quite exciting.  I just wish the character development hadn't been so predictable.  It was a shame that the most interesting character didn't appear very much.  I'm assuming he's being saved for a later point in the series  :shrug:

It was a shame that the most interesting character didn't appear very much.  I'm assuming he's being saved for a later point in the series  :shrug:

Is that Szeth? He's my favourite and he has hardly been in it but like you say he must have more importance later on.

The artwork is great and I do love the bridge scenes.

I know what you mean about the explaining but it doesn't bother me as much. Especially in Mistborn where it is completely new and unique and so integral to the story that it needs the explaining.

Apologies for the lack of updates, I've had a crazy week, been working overtime at the weekends and we've also had an offer accepted on a house :) So we've been looking into mortgages and solicitors... boring adult stuff  :blush2:

Ooh how exciting! Is it a nice house? Where is it? :)

Apologies for the lack of updates, I've had a crazy week, been working overtime at the weekends and we've also had an offer accepted on a house :) So we've been looking into mortgages and solicitors... boring adult stuff :blush2:

A new house! How exciting!

Set a room aside as a library? :giggle2:

Edited by Devi