Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

9780007196142.jpgShaman's Crossing - Robin Hobb

Synopsis

Young Nevare Burvelle is the second son of a second son. Traditionally in Gernia, the firstborn son is heir to the family fortunes, the second son bears a sword and the third son is consecrated to the priesthood. Nevare will follow his father – newly made a lord by the King – into the cavalry; to the frontier and thence to an advantageous marriage, to carry on the Burvelle name. It is a golden future, and Nevare looks forward to it with relish.

For twenty years King Troven's cavalry have pushed the frontiers of Gernia out across the grasslands, subduing the fierce tribes of the plain on its way. Now they have driven the frontier as far as the Barrier Mountains, home to the enigmatic Speck people. The Specks – a dapple-skinned, forest-dwelling folk – retain the last vestiges of magic in a world which is becoming progressive and technologised. The 'civilised' peoples base their beliefs on a rational philosophy founded on scientific principle and a belief in the good god, who displaced the older deities of their world. To them, the Specks are primeval savages, little better than beasts. Superstitions abound; it is said that they harbour strange diseases and worship trees. Sexual congress with them is regarded as both filthy and foolhardy: the Speck plague which has ravaged the frontier has decimated entire regiments.

All these beliefs will touch Nevare's training at the Academy; but his progress there is not as simple as he would wish. He will experience prejudice from the old aristocracy: as the son of a 'new noble' he is segregated into a patrol comprising other new nobles' sons, all of whom will encounter injustice, discrimination and foul play in that hostile and deeply competitive environment. In addition, his world view will be challenged by his unconventional girl-cousin Epiny; and by the bizarre dreams which visit him at night. And then, on Dark Evening, the circus comes to Old Thares, bringing with it the first Specks Nevare has ever seen…

Review

This was my first Robin Hobb book, I have been eager to check out her work for some time. Shaman's Crossing is the first book of the Soldier Son trilogy which is, to date, her only work (under the pseudonym of Hobb) that is not set in her Realm of the Elderlings for which she is most famous and contains 15 novels and counting. So, as I picked up the entire trilogy for 50p on Kindle, I thought I might as well get these done and read before starting her major work. I was aware that these books aren't her best and don't match up to other trilogies like Farseer, so like always I approached it with an open mind.

We are first introduced to Nevare at 8 years old, he's a naive child and he learns some harsh lessons about race and prejudice early on. It then skips to him at 14 where he see his Father take a rather unorthodox approach to his training by sending him off with Dewara, a plainsman of the Kidona tribe. The training is brutal with the added fact that Dewara is an old enemy of his Father's so he doesn't know if the toils and hardships are part of his training or part of Dewara's revenge. This is also where we are introduced to the mystical aspect of the book with the Shaman's Crossing and the Tree Woman on the other side.

After this we skip ahead again to Nevare at 18 years old and he sent off to the Cavalla Academy which begins very much like a boot camp. Here the rest of the story is played out. The first person POV puts the reader firmly in Nevare's shoes, we feel all his pain and suffering, the tedious drills and marches he is forced to endure. The best supporting characters come in the form of Nevare's fellow cadets at the academy, but Dewara and his Father are also great but don't appear in it that much.

Hobb has clearly taken her influence for this series from 19th Century America, from the Cavalry academies to the shunned native tribes who are forever been forced away from their homes to make way for civilisation. There is magic, but it is only seen a handful of times and in the 'real world' with the Shaman's Crossing appearing to exist only in a dream like dimension. So I've no doubt that it both aspects will be expanded on more in the subsequent novels.

The book starting out very promising with Nevare's training and the start of the academy is interesting too but then it lags for a quite a long time and very little of significance or development happens as he progresses through his first year. It is not until the end of the year and near the end of the book that it picks up pace again and the events at the start with the Crossing and Tree Woman become relevant.

A number of interesting concepts and a promising start to a nice self-contained trilogy but it suffers a lot from the lack of editing in the middle.

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review :)! I haven't read any of Robin Hobb's books yet and really should. I'm glad you liked the book, it certainly sounds intruiging, though it's a shame of the middle. I hope you'll like the next two books in the trilogy better :).

A number of interesting concepts ... but it suffers a lot from the lack of editing in the middle.

I've found that with a couple of her books, too (the last Farseer book - gads, it goes on and on and on - and the first Liveship book, specifically).  Seems to be quite common in fantasy, unfortunately.  It's like they've taken all this time creating a world so they feel the need to spend much longer in it than they need to :shrug:

I've found that with a couple of her books, too (the last Farseer book - gads, it goes on and on and on - and the first Liveship book, specifically).  Seems to be quite common in fantasy, unfortunately.  It's like they've taken all this time creating a world so they feel the need to spend much longer in it than they need to :shrug:

Yeah it seems that way, at least her writing is generally strong, even if a little padded.

Edited by Timstar

Great review :)! I haven't read any of Robin Hobb's books yet and really should. I'm glad you liked the book, it certainly sounds intruiging, though it's a shame of the middle. I hope you'll like the next two books in the trilogy better :).

Didn't I see tonnes of them on your shelves?

Great reviews Tim. :)The Fade sounds really interesting - I've been looking at some of Wooding's other books since reading Retribution Falls - and I'm glad you enjoyed Shaman's Crossing. I've only ever read Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, and was a bit underwhelmed by it - and, as Steve says, the last books drags on and on and on (and on, and on, and on :giggle2: )

I came across this the other day and thought you might like it. It's one of those Reddit things to count how many fantasy series' you've read. I got 35. :D

Only 23 :( but I must have at least 50 or so on my TBR pile with more on my wishlist lol, maybe one day I'll get close to 100

This was me too, own more of the titles then read so far.

Didn't I see tonnes of them on your shelves?

x

Yes, I haven't read any of them yet :blush2:.

@ the list

Oh dear, I have more of them on the TBR than I've read! I'd better get on it. I've saved the list, like Laura, I might have to add some to my wishlist :P.

replay.png Replay - Ken Grimwood

Synopsis

At forty-three Jeff Winston is tired of his low-paid, unrewarding job, tired of the long silences at the breakfast table with his wife, saddened by the thought of no children to comfort his old age. But he hopes for better things, for happiness, maybe tomorrow . . . But a sudden, fatal heart attack puts paid to that. Until Jeff wakes up in his eighteen-year-old body, all his memories of the next twenty-five years intact. If he applies those memories, he can be rich in this new chance at life and can become one of the most powerful men in America. Until he dies at forty-three and wakes up in his eighteen-year-old body again . . .

Review

As I didn't enjoy been in the dwindling minority of people of BCF who hasn't read Replay, I thought I had best crack on with it. And after reading so many reviews I knew, more-or-less, what to expect. Yet I was still thoroughly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, I loved how the reader is with Jeff every step of the way. From his initial confusion to the realisation of the potential, then his growing frustration and ultimately fear.

This is very much a story that states, it is the journey that's important, not the destination. It gets you thinking on multiple levels, not just the obvious one of what you would do if you could replay your life over again, but also how would you live your life knowing you will die at 43 and all accomplishments reset?

I found myself really sympathising with Jeff, which I thought was great as you would be so easy to make a story like this and have the reader be bitter and envious towards him.

Especially when he knows the replays are getting shorter and shorter and that he is going to one day die and not wake up again. It would be so easy for the reader to be petty and say 'Who cares, he's lived long enough!' But as we live our lives knowing and accepting we are going to die, it must be so difficult having all the potential and possibilities of living forever suddenly taken away from you. Grimwood really puts the reader into Jeff's shoes in this and many other ways.

A relatively short but completely remarkable read. Thought-provoking and life-affirming.

Overall 9/10

triffids.jpg The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

Synopsis

When Bill Masen wakes up blindfolded in hospital there is a bitter irony in his situation. Carefully removing his bandages, he realizes that he is the only person who can see: everyone else, doctors and patients alike, have been blinded by a meteor shower. Now, with civilization in chaos, the triffids - huge, venomous, large-rooted plants able to 'walk', feeding on human flesh - can have their day.

Review

Written over 60 years ago The Day of the Triffids captures the cold war paranoia perfectly, with the Russians genetically modifying a new plant species that walk and has a deadly 10 foot stinger. But the world adapts to them easily enough and many keep them as household plants as they only need pruning once a year to keep them harmless. But when a meteor shower turns 99.9% of the population blind the triffids become a more significant threat as the humans become helpless.

The story starts off really well, as we are introduced to the protagonist Bill Masen and he has no idea what has happened and he gradually learns that everyone has gone blind, as he wanders the streets we see the effect this has people as some go mad, some despair and some turn violent. Here he meets Josella, another person with sight and the two band together to help others and find sanctuary.

After this I found the story got a bit dull, it doesn't centre around the Triffids but a band of people they meet who attempt to start a new society with new principles better suited to this world. The end gets a bit better but never as good as the start of the novel, which is a shame. This is still a great read and I would recommend to most people. More of a social commentary then a survival novel but full of ideas and vivid imagery. My biggest gripe is that the triffids never become much of a threat to the protagonists, although they are slowly taking over we don't really get to see the effect of this and people need simply cover their skin and the triffids can't harm them.

An interesting read and my edition was only 230 pages long.The start was easily 10/10 but the rest pulled it down unfortunately.

Overall 8/10

PebbleInTheSky.jpg Pebble in the Sky - Isaac Asimov

Synopsis

The first novel of the Galactic Empire, the period between our own time and the universe of Asimov's "Foundation" series. This novel places an ordinary man in the path of little-understood phenomena being investigated at the Chicago Institute for Nuclear Research.

Review

Pebble in the Sky is about a normal man, Joseph Schwartz, in the twentieth century who, unknown to all, is transported several millennia into the future via an experiment with nuclear material. He reaches Earth but everything changed: people, language and even the planet's crust. Finding out that 'Earth' humans are shunned and feared by the rest of the galactic empire, even to the point that they are not allowed to live past 60, poses a particular issue for Schwartz as he is 62. There he is subjected to a risky experiment that can increase his synapses' velocity and make him smarter. The fact that the experiment is illegal brings many consequences not only to Schwartz, but also to the planet.

In the context, the Galactic trilogy is part of the "Greater Foundation" series. Of which, other than I, Robot, I have read none. Don't ask me why I decided to start with this trilogy, as I can't remember. I wasn't particularly impressed, the concept was good and interested but the delivery falls very flat. The characterisation is poor and given that Schwartz's character is clearly the link for readers to get into the story, he fails to live up to his potential. The supporting characters are fairly bland and two-dimensional. 

But it is not all loss, the story is interesting and even gripping at points but it fails to hold for more than one or two pages at time before going to back to bland tedium.

Overall 6/10

triffids.jpg The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham

Synopsis

When Bill Masen wakes up blindfolded in hospital there is a bitter irony in his situation. Carefully removing his bandages, he realizes that he is the only person who can see: everyone else, doctors and patients alike, have been blinded by a meteor shower. Now, with civilization in chaos, the triffids - huge, venomous, large-rooted plants able to 'walk', feeding on human flesh - can have their day.

Review

Written over 60 years ago The Day of the Triffids captures the cold war paranoia perfectly, with the Russians genetically modifying a new plant species that walk and has a deadly 10 foot stinger. But the world adapts to them easily enough and many keep them as household plants as they only need pruning once a year to keep them harmless. But when a meteor shower turns 99.9% of the population blind the triffids become a more significant threat as the humans become helpless.

The story starts off really well, as we are introduced to the protagonist Bill Masen and he has no idea what has happened and he gradually learns that everyone has gone blind, as he wanders the streets we see the effect this has people as some go mad, some despair and some turn violent. Here he meets Josella, another person with sight and the two band together to help others and find sanctuary.

After this I found the story got a bit dull, it doesn't centre around the Triffids but a band of people they meet who attempt to start a new society with new principles better suited to this world. The end gets a bit better but never as good as the start of the novel, which is a shame. This is still a great read and I would recommend to most people. More of a social commentary then a survival novel but full of ideas and vivid imagery. My biggest gripe is that the triffids never become much of a threat to the protagonists, although they are slowly taking over we don't really get to see the effect of this and people need simply cover their skin and the triffids can't harm them.

An interesting read and my edition was only 230 pages long.The start was easily 10/10 but the rest pulled it down unfortunately.

Overall 8/10

Interesting review, Tim.

I think the Triffids themselves, though fascinating, are more of a means to an end than the villain of the peace.  Despite the book's name the story isn't really about killer plants running amok, it is more about the perilous nature of life during the Cold War (which as you say, is something that is captured very well) and the survival of mankind after a catastrophic event.  The Triffid's play their part in this, but by and large mankind's fate is of his own making, the Triffids are largely an interesting mechanism to help that story along.

Invisible Man! Looking forward to your review on that one. I gave away my copy and I've been wondering if that was a mistake. I hope you enjoy! :)

PS. I've just recently read about all the problems you had, I'm sorry you've had such a crappy time. I hope things are now looking up and you will find better and bigger things soon! :friends3:

Great new books! I hope you enjoy them all :)! I liked Misspent Youth but I much prefered other books I read by Peter F. Hamilton later on (such as the Night's Dawn trilogy). I was quite a bit younger when I read it and hadn't read much science-fiction yet so I probably missed out on some references etc.