Laura's Fantasy Reviews 2014

Signor Finzione

I'll have to look this one up :)!

:) Apparently it gives a bit of backstory about Durzo Blint (one of the main characters from the NA trilogy). I imagine you could probably read it as a standalone, so maybe reading that first will give you an idea of whether you'd like the others. :)

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Apparently it gives a bit of backstory about Durzo Blint (one of the main characters from the NA trilogy). I imagine you could probably read it as a standalone, so maybe reading that first will give you an idea of whether you'd like the others. :)

x

Sounds good :)!

Review: 'The King's Blood' by Daniel Abraham

post-11030-0-55633000-1389523944_thumb.jpg

War casts a shadow over the land dragons once ruled. Only the courage of a young woman with the mind of a gambler and loyalty to no one stands between hope and universal darkness. An age of madness and death approaches, with only a few doomed heroes to stand in its way.

The high and powerful will fall, the despised and broken shall rise up and everything will be remade.

And a jaded mercenary and renegade priest begin a terrible journey with an impossible goal: destroy a goddess before she eats the world.

The King’s Blood is the second book in Abraham’s Dagger and Coin series, and it follows on nicely from the events of The Dragon’s Path. Our favourite characters – Marcus Wester, Cithrin, Dawson, Clara, Geder – return to carry on the story, which takes a somewhat darker turn here than in the first book. I have to say, I’m really enjoying what I’ve read of this series so far.

I’ll start by saying that the blurb is a little misleading: the ‘young woman’ it mentions (Cithrin the banker) is still an important character in The King’s Blood, but, aside from in one particular instance, she isn’t a hugely pivotal part of the story. Instead, the central plot follows a city’s gradual descent into civil war, which we see from two main PoVs, each on a different side of the conflict. These two characters (who will remain unnamed for spoiler purposes) are really well-written: in The Dragon’s Path they were both likeable for different reasons, whereas now we’re presented with a different side to them. Both have their reasons for doing what they do, but it’s difficult to decide which is right and which is wrong. A much darker tone is layered over the story by the ambiguity of the characters and the fallout from their decisions, and I think it sets up the rest of the series brilliantly.

One of my favourite POV characters is Clara Kalliam, who receives a lot more page time here than in the first book. Clara is the middle-aged wife of Dawson Kalliam and mother to four children, and her main purpose is maintaining the house and participating in social events with other wives of the rich and powerful. This doesn’t sound like the makings of an interesting character, but in reality it’s a breath of fresh air from the morally ambiguous mercenaries and barbarians and thieves and soldiers that populate (and dominate) so much of modern fantasy. She has a unique perspective on events; she’s a very brave and sympathetic character, and the way she deals with her trials and tribulations while still remaining gracious is lovely to read about. She’s the only character I can say I’m 100% rooting for, especially as she appears to have put a bit of steel in her spine by the end of this book: I’m particularly looking forward to seeing what she does next.

The other main plotline, of course, is that of Marcus (the ‘jaded mercenary) and Kit (the ‘renegade priest’), who have just embarked on a quest to find a magic sword and kill an evil goddess. Agreed, this sounds like the clichéd plot of an old role-playing game: but somehow, we don’t mind, probably because we want to see these two cool characters paired up on a wild adventure. The fact that Abraham acknowledges the cliché with a few dry remarks from Marcus just makes us wonder how he’s going to mess around with our expectations, and personally I can’t wait to see if/how he does it.

My rating: 4/5

Edited by Signor Finzione

Updated reading plan:

Daniel Abraham – The Dragon’s Path

Daniel Abraham - The King's Blood

James Barclay – Cry of the Newborn

James Barclay – Dawnthief

Peter V Brett – The Desert Spear

Peter V Brett – The Daylight War

Terry Brooks – First King of Shannara

Miles Cameron – The Red Knight

Bernard Cornwell – The Winter King

Stephen Deas – The Adamantine Palace

Stephen Donaldson – Lord Foul’s Bane

David Eddings – Pawn of Prophecy

Jennifer Fallon – Lion of Senet

Richard Ford - Herald of the Storm

Teresa Frohock - Miserere

Guy Gavriel Kay – The Lions of Al-Rassan

David Gemmell – Sword in the Storm

John Gwynne - Valour

Douglas Hulick – Among Thieves

Ian Irvine – A Shadow on the Glass

Paul Kearney – Hawkwood and the Kings

Mark Lawrence – Prince of Fools

Anne Lyle – The Merchant of Dreams

Anne Lyle - The Prince of Lies

Elizabeth Moon – The Deed of Paksenarrion

Mark Charan Newton – Drakenfeld

Terry Pratchett – Guards! Guards!

Terry Pratchett; Neil Gaiman – Good Omens

Anthony Ryan – Blood Song

Brandon Sanderson – The Final Empire

Michael J Sullivan – Theft of Swords

Adrian Tchaikovsky – Empire in Black and Gold

Brent Weeks – The Broken Eye

Chris Wooding – Retribution Falls

I don't think that's bad progress to say we're only two weeks into the new year! Although I now have a job and am back to working full-time, so I imagine my reading progress will be on a steady downward slide from now on . . .

I also think I'm going to cave fairly soon and buy the next in Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin series - which will be yet another victory for the TBR. :giggle:

I'm not a massive fantasy reader but just want to jump in and say The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell is a fantastic book! Helps to be a fan of all things Arthurian, but it really is wonderful.

I'm quite interested in the Arthurian legend, but the main reason TWK found its way on my TBR is because of glowing reviews by Steve and Tim (and now you!). I really must get to reading it sooner rather than later. :)

I don't think that's bad progress to say we're only two weeks into the new year! Although I now have a job and am back to working full-time, so I imagine my reading progress will be on a steady downward slide from now on . . .

x

That's great progress! Good luck with the job :).

x

That's great progress! Good luck with the job :).

Thanks very much! :) 

What job is it you do? if you don't mind me asking?

'course I don't mind. :) It's just an office job, handling personal injury claims for a big insurance company (Allianz). Sounds boring, but there's loads to learn and some of the cases are really interesting! My last teaching job was just so stressful I decided to move onto something else. :)

'course I don't mind. :) It's just an office job, handling personal injury claims for a big insurance company (Allianz). Sounds boring, but there's loads to learn and some of the cases are really interesting! My last teaching job was just so stressful I decided to move onto something else. :)

I love the Allianz insurance ad lol. The one where they all say Ahhhh after messing something up.

Edited by Devi

:lol: You all make me laugh. :lol:

I hadn't even heard of Allianz until my brother-in-law got me the interview. I was then informed (rather disapprovingly) that they were one of the biggest insurers in the world, and that they insured the James Bond and Harry Potter films, and satellites in space, etc., etc., . . . TBH I'm just glad to finally be back on somebody's payroll, and to have a job I can leave behind at the end of every day. :D

I love the Allianz insurance ad lol. The one where they all say Ahhhh after messing something up.

It's awful, isn't it? :lol:

Had an accident?

Stubbed your toe?

Stung by a wasp?

or just couldn't make the toilet in time?

You deserve money!

That's solicitors, silly! Insurers hate them almost as much as you do. :giggle2:

:doh: d'oh, although insurers are a close second.  :P

:P They can do what they like as long as they pay my wages! :giggle2:

Your sarky comment ('stung by a wasp?' etc) did make me laugh though. The sols really are money-grabbing barstools! Did you know that they put claims in for people who haven't even contacted them? With motor claims, you find that certain garages sell people's details to the solicitors, who then don't even let the person know until it's all been put through. They're just desperate for a cut of the claim money. Bloodsuckers! :giggle2:

:P They can do what they like as long as they pay my wages! :giggle2:

Your sarky comment ('stung by a wasp?' etc) did make me laugh though. The sols really are money-grabbing barstools! Did you know that they put claims in for people who haven't even contacted them? With motor claims, you find that certain garages sell people's details to the solicitors, who then don't even let the person know until it's all been put through. They're just desperate for a cut of the claim money. Bloodsuckers! :giggle2:

That's ridiculous! but it doesn't surprise me. I hate the idea of a compensation culture, where there is always someone to blame for every accident even though the definition of an accident is that it is no ones fault.

I was saying the exact same thing at work today! It's why we have to call it 'collision' rather than 'accident', because 'accident' implies there's no one to blame. Even though in reality they're almost ALWAYS accidental - no one would crash their car on purpose, after all. :unsure:

Although, with the amounts they can get paid for such minor 'collisions', I can see why someone might be tempted. :lol:

Review: 'Miserere' by Teresa Frohock

10193060.jpg

Exiled exorcist Lucian Negru deserted his lover in Hell in exchange for saving his sister Catarina’s soul, but Catarina doesn’t want salvation. She wants Lucian to help her fulfil her dark covenant with the Fallen by using his power to open the Hell Gates. Catarina intends to lead the Fallen’s hordes out of Hell and into the parallel dimension of Woerld, Heaven’s front-line of defense between Earth and Hell.

When Lucian refuses to help his sister, she imprisons and cripples him, but Lucian learns that Rachael, the lover he betrayed and abandoned in Hell, is dying from a demonic possession. Determined to rescue Rachael from the demon he unleashed on her soul, Lucian flees his sister, but Catarina’s wrath isn’t so easy to escape.

In the end, she will force him once more to choose between losing Rachael or opening the Hell Gates so the Fallen’s hordes may overrun Earth, their last obstacle before reaching Heaven’s Gates.

As someone whose reading generally consists only of ‘traditional’ fantasy, I have to say that, for me, Miserere is a strange one. The premise is interesting: instead of just having Heaven, Hell and Earth, there is also a fictional dimension called Woerld, which acts as a sort of barrier between Hell and Earth. In Woerld, all of Earth’s established religions work together in harmony to prevent the rise of the Fallen, and Templar-esque holy warriors known as Katharoi help in the ongoing fight against evil.

Woerld exists outside of space and time: Miserere is set on Woerld in the year 5873, yet a portal opens up and Lindsay, a girl from our present day America, is dragged through into Woerld. In Miserere, this is how many of the Katharoi are brought into being: worthy individuals, always children, are chosen to make the one-way trip to world to become Katharoi, leaving their own lives behind forever. It’s revealed that Lindsay is to be the ‘Foundling’ (basically the Padawan) of Lucian, one of the main protagonists, and a large part of Miserere is centred around around their relationship.

Rather than write the story from Lindsay’s point of view in the manner of so many other ‘fish out of water’ or ‘farmboy’ tales, Frohock more or less chooses to maintain the adult PoVs throughout; I think this was the right decision, as it still gives opportunity for explaining the world to someone who is unfamiliar, but it’s less patronising since we’re sharing the PoV of the person who knows rather than the person who is ignorant. A lot of the things Lindsay is forced to witness and experience are fairly dark and unpleasant, and as such the chapters from the child’s PoV can be a little jarring and uncomfortable – which I’m guessing is the intended effect.

I found the mish-mash of genres to be a bit disorienting at first, especially the way the author casually tosses around references to the world we live in, such as the way mobile phones can be used on Woerld for a short time before being corrupted by demons and used as Hell portals. Miserere combines elements of urban, grimdark and traditional fantasy, as well as SF and horror; the presence of holy warriors and Inquisitors give it the feel of historical fiction, while the time in which it’s set implies that it’s actually a dystopian novel; and the sheer amount of religious imagery (not to mention to plot and the setting) give it a distinctly biblical feel.

I’m in no way religious, and so I imagine there’s a huge amount of religious nuance that was completely lost on me. I’m also unsure of how much of the imagery in the story is taken from the bible and how much has sprung from the author’s imagination; whichever it is, the vivid imagery is one of the novel’s strongest points. The Sacra Rosa, a rose bush that circles an entire city and wreaks destruction on the Fallen, Day of the Triffids-style, was one of my favourite images; I also particularly enjoyed the brief flashes we’re given of the Hellscape, and the Simulacrum is also a pretty creepy image. I really like how she draws on religions and legends from all over the world and brings it all together; and I recognised enough of it to give the book a sense of authenticity. I did also really like well how the title, 'Miserere' ('have mercy'), resonated with the events and characters of the book.

One thing that did disappoint me was the ending, which was far less climactic than I expected. A large proportion of the books feels like it’s setting up for the ‘good vs evil’ battle implied in the blurb: there are long sections where not much actually happens, and the payoff for going through this wasn’t all that that rewarding. I did get the sense (I hope) that there will be another book about Catarina’s retribution, so perhaps that will have the epic conclusion I was expecting from this one.

Regardless of the book’s flat moments and slightly weak ending, the characters were strong enough to keep me interested throughout. Rachael in particular is an awesome character: she is a holy warrior and a Judge who was abandoned in Hell by the man she loved, and returned possessed by a Wyrm. She’s a strong, believable character who has her own important role in the story, rather than just functioning as the ‘main’ character’s love interest. 

Although the blurb of Miserere makes it sound like a love story in a fantasy setting, it’s far from conventional. I was very unsure when I first began to read it – and it probably didn’t help that I read it in fits and starts over the course of a week – but it grew on me, and now that I’ve reached the end I actually want to read more. Strange but true.

My rating: 4/5 

(Yes, Steve, another one! :lol: )

Edited by Signor Finzione