Laura's Fantasy Reviews 2014

Signor Finzione

Well, it's not your fault I didn't enjoy it. :lol: I would probably have enjoyed it more if it were the sort of thing I normally read. I'll probably get hold of NOS4R2 in the future - many fantasy novels I read tend to be around the 800-1,000 page mark, so I don't mind long novels. :)

Hear, hear! Nothing wrong with a long book, as long as it's enjoyable :).

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy them :). I've read upto Carpe Jugulum (number 23), that's the next unread one for me. It's been on my 'TBR-soon' pile for a while now, I'm not sure why I haven't started it really, I guess I've felt more in the mood for other things. I find with Pratchett you have to be in a certain mood, but maybe I should just read it some time. I enjoyed all the other Terry Pratchett books I read. I own enough of them so I should just get on with it :giggle2:.

In publication order, starting from the beginning of the series, I've only read as far as Pyramids (#7) (with my next unread one being Guards! Guards!), but I've also read Hogfather (#20), The Truth (#25), Thief of Time (#26), Night Watch (#29) and Going Postal (#33). However, I now own quite a few of the series, and should really "just get on with it" as you say. :giggle2:

I totally agree that you have too be in the mood for him! :giggle2:

Well, it's not your fault I didn't enjoy it. :lol: I would probably have enjoyed it more if it were the sort of thing I normally read. I'll probably get hold of NOS4R2 in the future - many fantasy novels I read tend to be around the 800-1,000 page mark, so I don't mind long novels. :)

Well, I did vote for it :blush2: Here is my review of NOS4A2, I like longer books too.

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12425-annas-books-for-2014/page-5#entry386665

So did I! :lol:

Isn't it odd how it seems to be called NOS4A2 in the US but NOS4R2 in the UK? :unsure:

I have been wondering about which one was correct, but now I know why I was so confused! If I looked it up on an US website it'd give me the US title and the UK website the UK title. I generally prefer if it's one title for the whole world, a lot less confusing.

Very odd how they have changed the title. Even if the pronounciation is different, it seems a bit confusing to change the title.

In trying to get the desired pun of Nosferatu, it was necessary to change it in the UK otherwise it doesn't really work.

There have been many more instances of whole titles completely changed for much more trivial reasons than that. :)

There have been many more instances of whole titles completely changed for much more trivial reasons than that. :)

This is very true. Quite annoying! Especially when you think at first 'oh a new book by this author' and then it's just an older one under a new title.

Review: 'Horns' by Joe Hill

Worse still, when he makes physical contact with a person, he can see every dark secret and every nasty thing they’ve ever done. However, this quickly becomes repetitive, with every single person he meets wanting to either hurt or have sex with someone they know.

This is the point at which I gave up - I wasn't in the right mood to carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been pretty busy this week re-decorating the kitchen and living room with the husband and the mother. Here are a couple of pictures (not all that interesting, but we rarely have visitors and it seems a shame not to show it off :rolleyes: ):

10712702_10154770993760416_2650263206388

1510448_10154770993945416_31800289842015

We also went into Manchester yesterday, where I accidentally bought some books from the Works on their '3 for £5' deal. For some reason Kili decided she wanted to guard them:

1932454_10152897949434497_81873188836418

Room looks great, Laura.  You did far better than my DIY disaster yesterday :lol:

And yay for the The Last Kingdom and Morningstar :exc:  Shame about the Brooks, though.  Kili seems to agree - she's pointing to it with a disapproving look on her face  :giggle2:

Room looks great, Laura.  You did far better than my DIY disaster yesterday :lol:

And yay for the The Last Kingdom and Morningstar :exc:  Shame about the Brooks, though.  Kili seems to agree - she's pointing to it with a disapproving look on her face  :giggle2:

Nah, she always looks like that. :lol:

The room looks good, Laura :)! Kili looks so cute. I hope you enjoy all your new books :)!

Thanks Gaia! I'm sure I will . . . in 47 years when I get around to reading them. :giggle2:

Love the wallpaper! Kili is so cute.

Thanks Devi! She's also very heavy. :lol:

I haven't been around here very much lately - that pesky 'life' thing has been getting in the way, and any spare time I have has been spent on trying to get my stuff organised for NaNo (still haven't been able to start on the actual writing yet . . . :rolleyes: ).

As you can see, Fili has been very helpful: she does this every time I try and sit down to write:

1527093_10152900720089497_76921672770636

. . . and this . . .

10394547_10152900720084497_3555934659039

. . . which has been slowing down the writing process somewhat. :giggle2:

Have you had time for any reading?

Not really. :( I finished the first Harry Potter book a few weeks ago but haven't got round to writing a review yet, and I've been reading my current book for what feels like forever! I read a few pages on my lunch break each day, but that's about it.

Bring on the Christmas holidays. :rolleyes:

Awww! Fili is so cute! But it's also hindering, of course :P.

I haven't done much writing either, my computer seemed to think that this was a good time to start acting weird so I had to reinstall Windows and everything else.

I hope you'll have more time for yourself soon, at least during the holidays!