Laura's Fantasy Reviews 2014

Signor Finzione

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you get the internet sorted!

What sort of car are you looking for? My last car was rubbish - and I spent a fortune on repairs and maintenance - so I ended up getting a very reliable, yet very dull Yaris. Would like to get a nicer car at some point, but just want something reliable.

Thanks BB! I've actually thought about getting a Yaris for the exact same reason. :lol: I've currently narrowed it down to the Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1 and Ford Ka. I just want something small, easy to drive and reliable. :)

Well, you say it's your internet, but I reckon you've been abducted by aliens.  It's the time of year for it :yes:  :hide:  :giggle2:

Quite possibly! :rolleyes:

Good luck with your internet and with the car, Laura :)!

Thanks Gaia! It seems to be okay today, but I suppose I shouldn't speak too soon in case I jinx it . . . :giggle2:

Karl is rather cute!

Thanks! He is indeed. :D

I hope he doesn't do what my mate Karl did and have a whirlwind romance and move to Liverpool  :lol:

:lol: I hope so too! I'll be keeping him under lock and key to make sure . . .

I love Karl!

Congratulations on the new car :D!!

Thanks guys! I love him too. :D

Karl is so cute! I always name my cars :smile:

Me too! My last two were called Kitt and Karr. :)

Nice car! Hope you enjoy it! Bet it smells nice too. :smile:

It smells gorgeous and new. :wub: It only had 28 miles on the clock when I got it!

Very cool, did you get it on finance in the end?

Thanks, yeah I did. I part-exed my old one and paid some deposit money, and will pay the rest monthly over five years, after which it will be mine. I even got them to reduce the monthly payments by telling them I was going to finance it with a bank loan as the interest rate was better. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Review: 'Memories of Ice' by Steven Erikson

Erikson%2B-%2BMoI.jpg

The ravaged continent of Genabackis has given birth to a terrifying new empire: the Pannion Domin. Like a fanatical tide of corrupted blood, it seethes across the land, devouring all who fail to heed the Word of its elusive prophet, the Pannion Seer. In its path stands an uneasy alliance: Dujek Onearm's Host and the Bridgeburners ­ each now outlawed by the Empress ­ alongside their enemies of old including the grim forces of Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, and his Tiste Andii, and the Rhivi people of the Plains. 

But more ancient clans are gathering. As if in answer to some primal summons, the massed ranks of the undead T'lan Imass have risen. For it would seem something altogether darker and more malign threatens the very substance of this world. The Warrens are poisoned and rumours abound of the Crippled God, now unchained and intent on a terrible revenge...

Memories of Ice, the third book in Steven Erikson’s Malazan Book of the Fallen, leaves the events of the previous book behind and returns instead to the continent of Genabackis, which was the location of Gardens of the Moon. Many characters from the first book re-appear here, such as notable favourites Anomander Rake, Quick Ben, Kruppe, Tool, Toc the Younger, and Whiskeyjack and the rest of the Bridgeburners. Mixed in with these are several new additions: there’s Hetan the randy Barghast, Gruntle the grumpy caravan guard captain, Kallor the immortal grudge-holding warrior, Itkovian the tragic servant of a lost god, the mysterious and unflappable Lady Envy, and of course the sinister pair of necromancers known as Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. All of these characters are thrown together as a result of a dubious alliance against a malign empire known as the Pannion Domin.

The characters, both new and old, are incredible, and many of the novel’s best moments are character-centred rather than action-driven. Quick Ben’s casual confrontation with the necromancers, Rake’s late-night conversations with Whiskeyjack, Lady Envy’s continuing attempts to exact obedience from her companions, and just about anything involving Kruppe – all contribute to make Memories of Ice feel like a living, breathing part of the Malazan world, rather than just the next step of the story. That’s not to say that the action falls flat, of course: Erikson gives us a plentiful share of the usual fast-paced battles, awesome warrens, explosive weaponry and bickering gods. He also introduces many new elements: some of these are simply brilliant, while others are downright terrifying (we now have K’Chain Che’Malle stalking the world, lightning-fast dinosaur-like undead beings with blades for arms. Yikes!).

But Memories of Ice isn’t all action and horror. Erikson’s capacity for beautiful tragedy, honed to a fine art inDeadhouse Gates, is also deftly applied here: he has a real knack for twisting the knife in your heart before you even realised you’ve been stabbed with it. There are so many small moments which left me blurry-eyed, more so because I wasn’t expecting them. And then there’s the humour, just as deftly placed, a welcome complement to the pathos seeping through the whole tale. The segments following Lady Envy and her motley companions are a delight to read, as are Kruppe’s befuddling monologues and Picker’s interactions with her disparate squad of soldiers, particularly Antsy.

However, a lot of the book is spent following an army on the march, and as such many of the locations (campfires, command tents, hilltops) become quite repetitive. Erikson also seems to have suddenly acquired the desire to explain things in detail, and to re-cap or clarify things that have already happened. While this isn’t necessarily a bad thing – in fact, I reckon Gardens of the Moon might have benefited from this in places – it does occasionally feel as though a huge chunk of the book is taken up with conversations between characters regarding something that has just been described, and it sometimes feels as though we’re having to experience some events several times before moving on. It’s as though, upon proof-reading the book, the author slotted in an “exposition inside a command tent” scene wherever he thought his characters’ motives weren’t 100% clear.

I think it’s this repetition that contributes to the relatively slow pace of the novel. Despite the fact thatMemories of Ice contains two major – no, epic – battles, along with several exciting skirmishes and powerful displays of magic, I think it suffers from being just a little bit too long. Erikson takes almost 1200 pages to do what he could probably have accomplished in 900, and while I would usually disagree with the concept of “too much” Malazan, I have to observe that this is the first time so far during my re-read of the series that I’ve felt a tiny bit disappointed. I always remembered Memories of Ice as my favourite of the series, full of undead monsters, creepy necromancers, gritty warriors and epic conflict. What I didn’t remember was the sheer volume of command tents, hilltop parleys, and Ganoes Paran’s stomach pain. 

It really says something about Erikson’s writing that, despite all of these gripes, Memories of Ice still remains one of the best books I’ve (re-)read this year. The last 200 pages or so more than make up for the slow patches scattered throughout, and I doubt anyone familiar with the series would be able to read them without blurry eyes and a wobbly bottom lip. Contrary to my own recollection, Memories of Ice is not quite as enthralling asDeadhouse Gates . . . but, as with the other books in the series, it touched me in a way no other series has ever quite managed to.

5/5

Brilliant review, Laura  :smile:   My opinion of the book has dropped a bit on this re-read but, yeah, when it's good it's amazing  :smile:

Great review, Laura :)! I'm glad you enjoyed it, though it's a shame it dragged a bit in places.

Thanks! I still decided to give it 5/5 because I've thoroughly enjoyed it in the past, and have a feeling I wouldn't have struggled with it had I not been reading it in fits and starts over the course of three weeks. :)

Review: 'Horns' by Joe Hill

8727968.jpg

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with one hell of a hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples.

Once, Ig lived the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned American musician, and the younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, Ig had security and wealth and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had the love of Merrin Williams, a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

Then beautiful, vivacious Merrin was gone - raped and murdered, under inexplicable circumstances - with Ig the only suspect. He was never tried for the crime, but in the court of public opinion, Ig was and always would be guilty.

Now Ig is possessed with a terrible new power - with just a touch he can see peoples' darkest desires - to go with his terrible new look, and he means to use it to find the man who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge; it's time the devil had his due.

As its October, I fancied dipping into a horror novel. Aside from a few teenage forays into King and Herbert, I’m something of a stranger to the genre, but Joe Hill’s work has appealed to me for a while now. I own both Horns and Heart-Shaped Box, but decided to go with Horns as it’s the subject of the group read on BCF. 

The main impression I had of the majority of the book was “meh”, which is as close as I can get to a verbal shrug of indifference.

It’s unfortunate: Horns actually starts off very promisingly. Hill throws us right in at the deep end by having the protagonist, Ig, discover his new predicament – that a nice sharp pair of horns have begun growing out of his forehead – on the very first page. He then proceeds with the story logically and rapidly, with Ig taking a visit to the walk-in centre and accidentally discovering the side-effects of his new pointy accessories: that people he talks to now confess their darkest desires to him without prompting. Worse still, when he makes physical contact with a person, he can see every dark secret and every nasty thing they’ve ever done. However, this quickly becomes repetitive, with every single person he meets wanting to either hurt or have sex with someone they know.

After learning that Ig’s girlfriend was murdered a year ago, we’re then treated to long sequences of flashbacks from the early days of their relationship. I have to admit that much of this had me sighing and flicking forward to see when each chapter would end. However, much later on in the book, the flashbacks do become quite poignant, as they reveal just how tragic and probably avoidable many of the events really are. I wasn’t overly-enamoured with Ig as a protagonist, but began to like him more towards the end of the book, when the pace picked up and he began to embrace his new knowledge.

I’m a bit disappointed that Horns wasn’t actually scary in any way –after all, I only really picked it up because I fancied a good scare – but it makes up for a lot of that in dark imagery and even blacker humour. It’s not spectacular – in fact, I think it’s one of the weaker books I’ve read this year – but it’s a fairly short, easy-to-read novel with a solid story and a great ending.

3/5

Review: 'Equal Rites' by Terry Pratchett

833422.jpg

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby's sex...

The third Discworld novel waves farewell to Rincewind and Twoflower, and introduces us instead to one of the most popular recurring characters of the series: Granny Weatherwax. Granny is a witch, dwells in a remote mountain village named Bad Ass, and is an expert in the field of headology; she is allergic to cats, despises ‘jommetry’, and is wary of people originating from ‘forn parts’. Granny raises goats, grows mysterious herbs, and can inhabit, or ‘borrow’, the minds of animals. She can stare down the toughest of men, engage in shapeshifting duels, cure sick people and deliver babies; but when suddenly faced with a curious little girl who is much more than she seems, Granny is at a bit of a loss. 

Esk is the eighth daughter of an eighth son, and, due to a mix-up when she was born, has inherited a staff of power formerly belonging to a wizard. When she begins to show signs of magic, Granny Weatherwax takes it upon herself to train Esk in the ways of Witchcraft (herb-growing, medicine making, distilling alcohol, cleaning the kitchen table); but she soon comes to realise that Esk was never meant to be a witch. No, her power is a Wizard’s power, and the only way she can learn how to control it is by travelling to the Unseen University to train amongst wizards. And this is a problem, because there has never been a female wizard in the history of the Discworld: it’s against the lore.

The novel follows Esk’s eventful journey to Ankh-Morpork and fraught introduction to the Unseen University. However, while the story is ostensibly about Esk, the majority of page time is given over to Granny, one of my favourite characters of the series. It’s full of comic moments, such as when Granny falls into a bear pit whilst trying to jump-start her broomstick; and in some ways Equal Rites is more about the journey of a very old woman learning lots of new things about a world she’s never really visited. As Granny would say derisively, ‘most people have never set foot outside their own head’, and we come to realise that this actually also applies to Granny herself.

Equal Rites is short, light and a lot of fun. The pacing isn’t rushed, but nor does it meander too much, and while it lingers a little on Esk’s first forays into magic this feels necessary for the development of both Esk and Granny’s characters. One thing I will say – something I feel applies to many of Pratchett’s books – is that he’s great at beginning stories, but I sometimes get the sense he doesn’t always know how he plans on ending them. The beginnings of most of his books are excellent, but as he’s dragging us along through the twists and turns it can feel as though he’s inventing the plot as he goes along. That’s the case here with Equal Rites, or so it seems to me.

That said, it’s a nice refreshing read, and would be a great starting point for those unfamiliar with the series.

4/5

Great reviews, Laura! It's a shame you didn't enjoy Horns more. I agree it wasn't very horror-ish but I enjoyed the story otherwise. I'm glad you liked Equal Rites, your review makes me want to read a Discworld book (which I really should do at some point). Are you going to (re-)read the whole series eventually?

Great reviews, Laura! It's a shame you didn't enjoy Horns more. I agree it wasn't very horror-ish but I enjoyed the story otherwise. I'm glad you liked Equal Rites, your review makes me want to read a Discworld book (which I really should do at some point). Are you going to (re-)read the whole series eventually?

That's the plan, yes! I'm reading them in publication order (rather than grouping them together under the separate storylines), and am looking forward to getting around to the ones I haven't read before. :)

I certainly preferred Heart-Shaped Box over Horns, it felt more like a traditional horror/suspense novel. Though NOS4R2 is my favourite book of his.

I gave up on Heart-Shaped Box, but I may give it another try. NOS4R2 sounds good though, and is on my TBR pile.

I imagine I'll give Heart-Shaped Box a try in the future, since I own it (only paid £1.99 for it!). I agree, NOS4R2 does sound more appealing - I've had it on my wishlist since reading Tim's review.

NOS4A2 is great, definitely my favorite, but can be daunting in size, yet goes by pretty quick.  I'm sorry you didn't like Horns, Laura :cry:

Well, it's not your fault I didn't enjoy it. :lol: I would probably have enjoyed it more if it were the sort of thing I normally read. I'll probably get hold of NOS4R2 in the future - many fantasy novels I read tend to be around the 800-1,000 page mark, so I don't mind long novels. :)

That's the plan, yes! I'm reading them in publication order (rather than grouping them together under the separate storylines), and am looking forward to getting around to the ones I haven't read before. :)

I hope you enjoy them :). I've read upto Carpe Jugulum (number 23), that's the next unread one for me. It's been on my 'TBR-soon' pile for a while now, I'm not sure why I haven't started it really, I guess I've felt more in the mood for other things. I find with Pratchett you have to be in a certain mood, but maybe I should just read it some time. I enjoyed all the other Terry Pratchett books I read. I own enough of them so I should just get on with it :giggle2:.