Tunn 300's 2014 Reading Log

tunn300

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After being really intrigued by 'The Shock of the Fall' and hearing good things about it I decided to pick it up on kindle and make a start on it today. I also picked up J.A. Kearly's first Carson Ryder book - The Hundredth Man as he is an author I have always looked at but never tried and this book is free today on the UK kindle store.

The Executioner - Chris Carter

51y0a2v1HvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis - Amazon

Inside a Los Angeles church, on the altar steps, lies the blood-soaked, decapitated body of a priest. Carefully positioned, legs stretched out, arms crossed over the chest, the most horrifying thing of all is that the priest's head has been replaced by that of a dog. Later, the forensic team discover that, on the victim's chest, the figure 3 has been scrawled in blood.
At first, Detective Robert Hunter believes that this is a ritualistic killing. But as more bodies surface, he is forced to reassess. All the victims died in the way they feared the most. Their worst nightmares have literally come true. But how could the killer have known? And what links these apparently random victims?
Hunter finds himself on the trail of an elusive and sadistic killer, somone who apparently has the power to read his victims' minds. Someone who can sense what scares his victims the most. Someone who will stop at nothing to achieve his twisted aim.

Review

This is the second book in Chris Carter's Detective Hunter series. I read the first last year after it had been sitting on my shelf for an awfully long time and I had managed to pick up books 2 and 3 in the series at some point on Kindle (probably as they were in some sort of deal) before even reading the first.

I did enjoy the first book but looking back on my review felt Carter often added extra paragraphs of background that were not necessary. I certainly didn't feel that this time and the action was incredibly fast paced and tense. I was desperate to always read on and come a little closer to finding the identity of the killer. The violence is again extremely graphic and described in minute detail from page 1 onwards, so if that's not for you avoid this author. 

I felt I learnt more about Hunter and his partner on this case and am looking forward to moving on to book 3 at some point this year.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

I've still yet to read The Executioner and The Death Sculptor.

I really enjoyed The Night Stalker, but found the Crucifux killer whilst an enjoyable read, a bit obvious.

Edited by dex

Have had such a busy few weeks I have hardly been on here. Have had a couple of interviews over the past two weeks that have required lots of prep and kept me mightily busy. Fortunately I got one of them and so have a new job starting in September.

During that time I have been reading a little here and there of the shock of the fall and have managed to finish it tonight. I now have just over 2 weeks off so plan to get some reading done in that time.

I will post a full review soon and now need to decide on my next book.

Congratulations on your new job :cows:

Thanks!!

I decided to take a trip to the local library yesterday and came away with Stone Bruises by Simon Beckett. Will hopefully get a chance to make a good start on it today.

Edited by tunn300

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer

514gHYK88IL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis - Amazon

‘I’ll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name’s Simon. I think you’re going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he’ll be dead. And he was never the same after that.’

There are books you can’t stop reading, which keep you up all night.

There are books which let us into the hidden parts of life and make them vividly real.

There are books which, because of the sheer skill with which every word is chosen, linger in your mind for days.

The Shock of the Fall is all of these books.

The Shock of the Fall is an extraordinary portrait of one man’s descent into mental illness. It is a brave and groundbreaking novel from one of the most exciting new voices in fiction.

Review

I picked this up on kindle about a month ago as it appeared to be everywhere, was getting really good reviews and had just won the Costa books award. 

The book is told from the point of view of a young man who is currently receiving treatment for mental health issues. He tells us the story of his life to that point including the death of his brother Simon. We get to see how this tragic event effects his whole families life forever and possibly why he suffers from some of the problems he does. 

The author worked in a mental health hospital and so these parts of the story ring really true and really make you think about these people and their place in society. I did enjoy the book overall but my reading of it was very broken as I had a lot going on at the time so I don't know if that's why I felt I could never truly get into the story. It certainly didn't live up to my expectations and I don't feel it will stay with me for any length of time. 

Overall I wouldn't really recommend this book as a must read but also wouldn't say its a bad choice if you find the subject matter interesting. 

7/10

I've just read it and really, really, loved it. I read it in two sittings and couldn't put it down (but then I didn't have to put it down ... I had literally nothing else to do and was wanting to fill time.) It's a shame you didn't like it better tunn ... I'm used to agreeing with you wholeheartedly .. I don't trust my own opinion of it now  :D

I should really write my review while it's fresh in my head :blush2: 

I've just read it and really, really, loved it. I read it in two sittings and couldn't put it down (but then I didn't have to put it down ... I had literally nothing else to do and was wanting to fill time.) It's a shame you didn't like it better tunn ... I'm used to agreeing with you wholeheartedly .. I don't trust my own opinion of it now :D

I should really write my review while it's fresh in my head :blush2:

We do normally have very similar views on books and in this case I am sure it is you who is right. I really didn't do the book justice in the way that I read it and so may have to give it a re-read at some point in the future.

I really didn't do the book justice in the way that I read it and so may have to give it a re-read at some point in the future.

I felt like that about The Goldfinch  Donna Tartt, i wasn't really in the right frame of mind & had a lot going on when i read it & so i didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would. Anyway i've hung on to it with the intention of rereading it at some point in the future  :smile:

Poppyshake - good to hear you enjoyed it so much, i'm sure i'll get round to reading at some point myself, probably when it starts appearing in the charity shops  :D

Congratulations on your new job. :smile:  

Tunn

Congrats on your new job !

I also bought Shock of the Fall for my kindle, but have yet to read it . I'll get to it one of these days !

Congratulations on your new job :)! I hope to read The Shock of the Fall pretty soon. It's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much as Poppyshake did.

Many thanks for all the congratulations. I am very excited to start. 

I am now just over half way through Stone Bruises and its very different from anything Beckett has written before. 

I finished Stone Bruises last night and I have to say was disappointed by it overall. I will post a full review soon. Trying to choose between Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen and Doctor Sleep by Stephen King for my next read.

Stone Bruises - Simon Beckett

514f8Zd-MVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis - Amazon

'Somebody!' I half-sob and then, more quietly, 'Please.' The words seem absorbed by the afternoon heat, lost amongst the trees. In their aftermath, the silence descends again. I know then that I'm not going anywhere...

Sean is on the run. We don't know why and we don't know from whom, but we do know he's abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated, lonely part of rural France at the height of a sweltering summer. Desperate to avoid the police, he takes to the parched fields and country lanes only to be caught in the vicious jaws of a trap. Near unconscious from pain and loss of blood, he is freed and taken in by two women - daughters of the owner of a rundown local farm with its ramshackle barn, blighted vineyard and the brooding lake. And it's then that Sean's problems really start...

Review

I picked this up whilst browsing in the library as I have read all of the authors previous work. Beckett is known for his David Hunter series of books however this is his first stand alone that does not feature Hunter.

I found the book fairly quick to read and I was intrigued to find out the ending but felt it really lacked the depth of the Hunter series. Hunter is a great character that clearly uses science to explain all his findings and workings on a crime scene. This book however felt to me more of a drawn out short story. I think it would have been fairly good as a short story but I found the way it meandered towards are fairly inevitable conclusion a little dull. I kept thinking I am sure it will get good soon but then it was over. 

I certainly wouldn't recommend this as a book to start with Beckett on as the Hunter series is so so much better in my opinion and I hope he takes us back there for his next book. I am not sure I would even recommend it to a real Beckett enthusiast like myself. 

6/10

I am into the final hundred pages of Bad Monkey and hope to finish it before I am back to work on Monday. I have really enjoyed it and it has remined me how brilliant Hiaasen is after reading the woeful Trap Line at the start of the year. 

I have made a start on The Radleys by Matt Haig today. It was either a Richard and Judy book or a Book Club tv programme book from a few years ago that caught my attention and has been sitting on my Amazon wish list since. I saw it in the library and felt intrigued enough to give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been so busy finishing work I am ding for a course that I haven't been on here in a while! I have still tried to put aside some regular time for reading and am into the final hundred pages of 'The Radleys' by Matt Haig. After a really promising start it has faded away rather quickly though. Am aiming to finish it before the month is out though. My work is due in on the 2nd of June after which I will catch up on reviews and hopefully see my reading pick up again.

Shame about The Radleys, i haven't heard of that book but i've read a few books recommended by Richard & Judy & enjoyed them  :smile:

Good Luck with the studying, my eldest son is in a similar position to you. He graduates this year & is desperately trying to finish his assignments so is spending most of his time at the Uni library, coming home in the early hours of the morning & living off junk food & coffee.

Shame about The Radleys, i haven't heard of that book but i've read a few books recommended by Richard & Judy & enjoyed them  :smile:

Good Luck with the studying, my eldest son is in a similar position to you. He graduates this year & is desperately trying to finish his assignments so is spending most of his time at the Uni library, coming home in the early hours of the morning & living off junk food & coffee.

Thanks Kidsmum. I managed to finish The Radleys last night in a bit of a reading burst. I am afraid I didn't really rate the book overall and was a little disappointed as I agree that the Richard and Judy books are usually a great read.

My next book will be Who is Tom Ditto by Danny Wallace as I requested it from the library and it has now come in stock. Need to find a time to go and pick it up as life is a bit hectic at the moment and am not sure I will get to make a start on it before my June deadline.