Tunn 300's 2014 Reading Log

tunn300

I almost bought it from Amazon earlier in the week but didn't realise they no longer do free delivery on items unless you spend over £10. 

Wow - I didn't know this!  :o  I must have misread the email because I thought it only applied to orders without books, CDs or DVDs on them.   :blush:

I haven't ordered anything from Amazon yet in 2014!  :angel_not:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's definitely going on my wish list after that glowing review! :D

I really hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

Oh my .. it's better than Gold! :wub: Claire .. you bought this for me (the combined genius of your generosity and my impeccable taste :D) so I need to read it soon and then put it on a pile for you.

Great review tunn .. it was definitely on my 'soon to be read' list but it's just got a great big shove in the right direction :smile: I can't wait now.

Poppy can't wait to here your thoughts on it too. I feel after saying that I owe Gold a re-read at some point this year just to be sure but this book is incredible. 

Flicking through this review, I suddenly realised that I'd bought this book a while ago on a whim/recommendation or whatever. I can't think why, but it's just going to have to move right up the list to be read on that review. On your head be it........!  ;)

Really - great review, love the enthusiasm, definitely one to investigate! 

Oh dear... lots of pressure there but I am pretty confident you will enjoy it. 

Wow! I'm intrigued to read it now. :)

Do!! It's brilliant.

Wow - I didn't know this!  :o  I must have misread the email because I thought it only applied to orders without books, CDs or DVDs on them.   :blush:

I haven't ordered anything from Amazon yet in 2014!  :angel_not:

I double checked earlier and this is what it says when you click on eligible for free super saver delivery link on books. 

"A minimum total spend of GBP 10.00 is required for an order to qualify for Super Saver Delivery."

It's over 25£ here, which is a huge improvement over 'never any free delivery' which they had some years ago.

Wow, £25 is still a fairly large order of books though. At least it's improving. 

I double checked earlier and this is what it says when you click on eligible for free super saver delivery link on books. 

"A minimum total spend of GBP 10.00 is required for an order to qualify for Super Saver Delivery."

Thanks for alerting me to the fact then.   I guess I won't be ordering from Amazon very often any more!  :)

I have managed to finish Love From Both Sides this evening, it was fairly amusing and easy going and a full review will follow soon. I think I am going to start one of my new paperbacks next.

x

I'm glad you liked it :)!

Wow, £25 is still a fairly large order of books though. At least it's improving.

x

That's very true. Generally I tend to save it up over a period of time, ie. when the times comes I want to order a birthday present for someone, then I order a book too if there's a specific book or books I've been planning to get for a while. Amazon's books are generally cheaper for me than most other book sites that deliver here and I like that they usually give me a tracking ID so I can see where the package is and when it'll arrive. They also have good information on the books (ie. covers and size). I don't usually preorder books because if you buy just one you have to pay the shipping which can cost as much as the book sometimes.

I decided to start Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock yesterday and have raced through the first half of the book. I am desperate to keep reading on and find out what happens so think I will probably finish the book at some point over the next couple of days.

I have finished Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock after a good reading session this morning. I now have a couple of reviews to catch up on and will hopefully do that later this evening. I also now need to choose what to read next too.

Love From Both Sides - Nick Spalding

51w3uS5HNxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis - Amazon

Sometimes, the hardest part of finding love is keeping a straight face...

For Jamie Newman, being a single guy isn't proving to be much fun, especially when confronted with a sexually belligerent divorcee and a goddess so far out of his league she might as well be a different species.

Mind you, being a girl in search of love isn't a bowl of cherries either. Just ask Laura McIntyre, who's recently contended with a horny estate agent on a quest for light relief and a rabid mountain bike enthusiast with a penchant for lycra that leaves little to the imagination.

When Jamie and Laura bump into one another (quite literally) it looks like their luck may have changed - but sometimes finding the right person is only the start of your problems...

Love... From Both Sides is a warts-and-all romantic comedy for everyone who knows how tricky the quest for love can be.

Review

I picked this book up after seeing Spalding's latest book, Love Under Different Skies, for sale at Tesco and thought it looked intriguing. After a little research I found that it was book 3 in a series involving two characters who meet, fall in love and possibly out again. I then saw Athena reviewing book 3 and she said they were amusing and so at 99p on kindle I took the plunge. 

The book is written in  very modern style with alternate chapters being from each of the character's points of view. Jamie writes his as an internet blog whilst Laura's is a diary to her mum. The main story follows the path of any predictable rom-com where these two characters who are destined to be together just keep on missing out or messing things up. That part of the story was fairly standard. What I did like about the book at the time were some of the situations both character's got themselves into on various blind dates, speed dating etc. Quite a few made me laugh out loud, much to the annoyance of my wife. However a few weeks on now and the only one I can really remember is the 'toilet bin' incident which if you read the book will probably stay with you forever. 

I think that fairly sums up the book for me, it was fun while it last but was never really going to stick in my mind. It was a nice and amusing way to pass a few reading sessions but I am not in any hurry to go out and get the next book in the series. I probably will read it at some point but have other books much more tickling my fancy before.

7/10

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - Matthew Quick

51cOK-egGIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis - Amazon

How would you spend your birthday if you knew it would be your last?

Eighteen-year-old Leonard Peacock knows exactly what he'll do. He'll say goodbye.

Not to his mum - who he calls Linda because it annoys her - who's moved out and left him to fend for himself. Nor to his former best friend, whose torments have driven him to consider committing the unthinkable. But to his four friends: a Humphrey-Bogart-obsessed neighbour, a teenage violin virtuoso, a pastor's daughter and a teacher.

Most of the time, Leonard believes he's weird and sad but these friends have made him think that maybe he's not. He wants to thank them, and say goodbye.

Review

As soon as I saw this book when doing my weekly shop I snapped it up. I am a great fan of Qick's other novel, Silver Linings Playbook, and was eager to read this. 

The book follows Leonard on one particular day, his eighteenth birthday, but includes lots of flashbacks to scenes in his life up till now. Leonard is not a happy young man and has decided today will be his last on Earth. We find out the numerous reasons for this as we read through and I certainly found myself sympathising with Leonard enormously. The book uses one particular technique with letters which I haven't seen used before but I won't discuss as that would spoil part of the book for anyone wanting to read it.

Its difficult to say much more about the book other than I was hooked and desperate to get to the ending, reading it in just a few reading sessions. It is a fairly short book and is fast paced. When it did near the end I genuinely didn't know which way it was going to go. 

All in all I do recommend this book and it does raise interesting and worrying issues. It is certainly not a book to read if you are not prepared to feel it pull on your emotions and bring you down with it a little. 

8/10

Ok March is underway and I have caught up with my reviews. 8 books before the end of Feb is some achievement considering I only managed 12 in a whole year just a couple of years ago.

I have started The Rosie Project as my next book and at just over a hundred pages in I am really enjoying it.  

Tunn

You're doing great so far this year . Good job !  I'm glad you gave the review of Leonard Peacock . It sounds like a really good book, but maybe not one to read if you are in a down mood, huh ?

Keep up the good work  :)

Great reviews! I'm glad you liked Love From Both Sides, even if it wasn't so memorable to you (I do agree about the toilet bin scene, I still remember it!). Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock sounds pretty interesting. Congrats on reading 8 books already, well done :)!

Tunn

You're doing great so far this year . Good job ! I'm glad you gave the review of Leonard Peacock . It sounds like a really good book, but maybe not one to read if you are in a down mood, huh ?

Keep up the good work :)

Certainly not one to read when down, think it may send you even further down.

I have finished The Rosie Project this evening and thought it was fantastic. I will post a full review soon. I also picked up book 3 of the year in the shape of The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith as it was only 99p on kindle.

I also received my prize from the February crime month section on the site. Was very grateful for that.

I'm glad you liked The Rosie Project! I've just recently ordered it so I look forward to reading it. I hope you enjoy The Cuckoo's Calling, the book is on my wishlist, or if not, it should be. I hope you like your prize, too :).

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

41QGRY4ZM2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Synopsis - Amazon

'I'm not good at understanding what other people want.'

'Tell me something I don't know . . .'

Love isn't an exact science - but no one told Don Tillman. A thirty-nine-year-old geneticist, Don's never had a second date. So he devises the Wife Project, a scientific test to find the perfect partner. Enter Rosie - 'the world's most incompatible woman' - throwing Don's safe, ordered life into chaos. But what is this unsettling, alien emotion he's feeling?

Review

There is a lot of buzz around this book at the moment and as soon as I saw it and read the synopsis I immediately wanted to read it. 

The books follows Don Tillman, a university lecturer and a man looking for a wife. It is clear from early on that Don has a form of Autism and the whole book is told from his perspective so we get to really understand his thinking. In a similar vein to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time I really feel the author does a brilliant job of writing as the lead character. Don has set patterns and rules that he lives by and I enjoyed every minute spent in his company. The complications for Don begin when Rosie enters his life. She throws his routines and patterns into turmoil with her happy-go-lucky nature. Together they embark on a project to find Rosie's true farther and this inevitably also draws them closer together.

I found the book highly amusing and not in a laugh at Don way but more laugh at the situations themselves. I also found Rosie a very interesting character. The book is incredibly entertaining and well worth a read. I am subtracting one mark as I wasn't a huge fan of the ending but would highly recommend this book. 

9/10

So I managed to win the draw for the February crime and thriller prize in this site. Last week, The Lost by Claire Mcgowan arrived through my door and I was thoroughly pleased. Much to my shock today I returned home from work to find another package which contained Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes. So two new crime books, I am thoroughly chuffed and thanks to Michelle for organising the prizes.

Great review of The Rosie Project :), I think I'll read it soon, it sounds like I'll really enjoy it. (I've just received it but haven't catalogued it yet as I'm waiting on the other books I ordered).

Congrats on the prize :)!

I decided to start The Executioner today, which is the 2nd book in the Detective Robert Hunter series by Chris Carter. I read the first book in July last year and enjoyed its fast paced action. I really like this one so far and again it is incredibly fast paced and making me want to read on. I am currently at 37% through the book in just over a day.