Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for taking the time to read my review :smile:

Nice to see that you enjoy The Humans  :smile: . (That's a great Matt Haig quote too  :D .)

Thanks!  The book had so many good quotes!  And really, what doesn't go with wine?

I forgot all about The Humans. Guess I need to start a list of books I want to read instead of waiting until the last minute. What is your next read by CRH?

I was going to recommend it to you :smile: Yes, come to the dark side of the list :P Um... I'm pretty sure it will either be either Becoming Chloe or another called Jumpstart the World.  Both I want to try for the monthly read a thons as they are short.  But I will definitely get to Where We Belong next year as well. 

I like your take on The Humans, it goes on my list!  :)

It's clever and witty, I think you'd like it.  Probably only take you a day or two. 

promises.jpg

Title: Promises of London: A Short Story

Author: Hugh Howey

Pages: Estimated 4

Genre: Fiction

“Book” # 71 for 2014

This is my very first piece of writing from Wool author Hugh Howey.  I have been looking forward to reading Wool in 2015, however, I discovered a myriad of Kindle Singles by him, including one about a robot defying his program (Glitch) at 5,000 words!  A lot of the Singles rarely go beyond 30 pages or so and I though, what do I have to lose and bought some (ok, almost all I could find).  It seems Howey has some sort of knack for them.   Even the 550 page Wool was initially published in 5 installments.

Instead of a synopsis, here is what he had to say about Promises of Love:

This is a short story about a man seeking closure. It can be read in ten minutes. Please don't purchase this expecting a novel for your dollar.

This story was written in a small cafe on the corner of Bleeker and Grove in New York City on Tuesday, May 27th. The idea came to me yesterday while walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I saw the locks on several of the small cables on the bridge. I remembered my time in both London and Paris, taking pictures of all the love locks on bridges there. And I thought about all the couples those locks represent. I wondered how many are still together.

Maybe this story isn't worth your dollar. If I could price a work on Amazon for less, I would. It is what it is. I hope this will be the first of many short pieces that I write and publish in a single day while recording what I'm thinking and where I am when I write them. For those who take the plunge, I hope you get your money's worth. Thank you for all of your support.

-Hugh

I think that is pretty cool.  I felt that I could spare 10 minutes (ok, I spent 9) on a short story by a writer constantly recommended to me.  I liked this piece.  It seems like it was a free write, with good proof reading as there are no grammar issues at all.  As Howey cautions, don’t expect a novel.  It was just a story he wrote one random day, about a very random act.  I think it was a pretty good introduction to his writing style, even if it isn't his typical dystopian/ post apocalyptic genre. 

Edited by Anna Begins

glitch.jpg

Title: Glitch (Kindle Single)

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: 15

"book" 72 for 2014

From Amazon:

When a robot defies his programming, is he broken? Or is he something else?
A short story of 5,000 words.

My comments:

Another home run by Hugh Howey, this time in science fiction and as an official Kindle Single.  This time, it is odd, not like Promises of London.  It’s pretty techy, about a team of robot engineers who compete in bouts with other robots, but Howey leads us through it, not sounding far out there.  And it totally pays off.

Edited by Anna Begins

hike.jpg

Title:  The Walk Up Nameless Ridge

Genre: Science fiction

Pages: est. 18, (39 minutes audio)

“Book” # 73 of 2014

This is my third Hugh Howey Kindle Single and certainly not my last.  I am a huge fan of the short story and am totally in enamored with this author who can say so much in so few words.

Synopsis (from me, Amazon):

Hugh Howey conjures Jon Krakauer in this slim psychological profile about sky-scraping ambition set on a 60,000-foot mountain on an alien planet somewhere in an unnamed galaxy.

Edited by Anna Begins

I've been trying to decide which one of Hugh Howey's novels to dip into, but I'll have a go with one of his short stories (probably Glitch) to see if I like his style.

I've been trying to decide which one of Hugh Howey's novels to dip into, but I'll have a go with one of his short stories (probably Glitch) to see if I like his style.

From what I have heard I, Zombie or Wool are his shinning achievements, but I enjoyed Glitch for what it was/ is, as well as the others.  If you are interested in Wool, know that it originally came out in monthly installments of around 110 pages each (the book is 550 pages).  I'd assume they would be broken into the segments in the Wool omnibus.  At least I hope so, because I plan on reading the installments separately, maybe one per week. 

Also, on the 14th of December, his book The Shell Collector comes out.  It sounds good (apocalyptic) and is only 229 pages.  I believe the protagonist is female.  :exc: (I love a good female protagonist!) I think I may start out with that as my first full length story, as I want to save Wool for next year.  I have so many books I want to read- ahhhh!  :readingtwo:

Edit: I also responded below.

Edited by Anna Begins

97265ad9-5ab1-4e2f-99c5-f9e5c5bdfd0f.jpg

Genre: Thriller

Pages: est. 44

"Book" #74 for 2014

It’s all a build up, typical Jack Reacher until you get a “Maybe it’s Vampires?” and puzzlement sets in.  Anger and disbelief, as how can Lee Child ruin a whole Jack Reacher canon in 44 pages?  Then it sort of gets put together, Reacher playing detective.  Curiosity gets the better of you and you press on, keeping in mind that there is only ___% ahead.  It is a far-fetched plot and too short, actually, best to have not been written at all.  It’s a half hour I won’t get back.

Amazon ratings are all in different minds with these Reacher Singles and Short Stories, I was apprehensive about reading these to begin with, now I am not so sure I want to continue with them!  This is my first Jack Reacher Kindle Single/ Short Story.

Synopsis (From Amazon):

Jack Reacher is on the road, hitching a ride with some earnest young Canadians who are planning a hike through some of the last unspoiled wilderness in North America in the dense forests of Maine. They part ways after sharing a hot meal, and Reacher checks out a quiet town surrounded by countryside serene enough to cool even his raging wanderlust. But not for long. First the trail is suddenly and inexplicably closed. Then the military police show up in force. Maybe it’s a drill. Or maybe it’s trouble—the kind of trouble that always finds Reacher, no matter how far he travels off the beaten path.

Edited by Anna Begins

mitosis.jpg

Title: Mitosis (A Reckoners Story)

Author: Brandon Sanderson

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: est. 35

“Book” #75for 2014

Mitosis continues after the end of Steelheart, The Reckoners are now building the structure of the city of Newcago.  To say more, could spoil the end of Steelheart.  This is not a stand alone Kindle Single and should follow the full length Steelheart, ahead of Firefight, due out January 6th, 2015.  This is a great little short story- a brief interaction of the core characters and then right into the action at an unsuspected time.  Sanderson's Mitosis sets out what it is supposed to do- wet the appetite for January.  And I can't wait!

Recommended for Steelheart fans... Steelheart highly recommended (Steelheart is one of my top 3 of 2014).

Edited by Anna Begins

cotton.jpg

Title: Old Girls in Low Cotton (Kindle Single)

Author: Helen Childress

Genre: Fiction

Pages: est. 42

“Book” #76 for 2014

This is a fun story right from the first lines.  I think one of the reasons I liked it, was because it was so much like a one act play.

Synopsis:

Somewhere people act normal -- but not in the Downy Mount Mobile Home Park, where recently widowed Marfa Bacot lives with her mother-in-law Lulu, who cleans from hell to breakfast and has her make-up tattooed on so she's always ready for the rapture. As if it's not crazy enough inside the trailer, Marfa has to deal with the other eccentrics who populate the park, from the runaway polygs stockpiling water for the end of the world to the man who hears from extra-terrestials through V-8 cans to the domineering Don Ella, who runs the park with an iron fist and attendance-mandatory parties. Marfa dreams of a new life on her own outside Flagstaff, but first she'll have to let go of her old one.

Helen Childress wrote the movie "Reality Bites."

Thoughts:

I loved the paragraph and those like it:

I sit in the recliner and look at the movie on TV, same as her.  It’s too late for us to say hi now.  We passed that exit four minutes ago.

Or dialogue like:

She goes into a cry.  “All I do is try and try and break my hump and look what I get for it.  Natural Vanilla Bean.”

“Hey, you better just hold it in the road.  It’s still ice cream for God sake, it’s still vanilla,” I tell her.

Fact is, I could quote the whole thing.  The relationship between Marfa and Lulu is just an amazing amount of character work.  I can even visualize it on stage.  I found it highly worth my time.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm glad you enjoyed most of these short stories that you read :)! It's a shame about the Jack Reacher one though :(. But I'm glad the other ones were good. It's good to know Mitosis takes place after Steelheart, so I won't spoil myself and read the short one first (I don't own either, yet, at the moment). I'm glad you liked Hugh Howey's short stories, they sound pretty interesting! I hope you enjoy The Shell Collector when you read it :).

I'm glad you enjoyed most of these short stories that you read :)! It's a shame about the Jack Reacher one though :(. But I'm glad the other ones were good. It's good to know Mitosis takes place after Steelheart, so I won't spoil myself and read the short one first (I don't own either, yet, at the moment). I'm glad you liked Hugh Howey's short stories, they sound pretty interesting! I hope you enjoy The Shell Collector when you read it :).

Thanks! :)  I can't wait for more Hugh Howey!

deepdown.jpg

Title: Deep Down (a Jack Reacher Short Story from A Wanted Man)

Author: Lee Child

Pages: est 44 pages

“Book” 77 for 2014

It was the end of the read a thon, at 18:00, so I thought I’d give another short story a go.  I own this one, it is an addition to A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher #17).  It was on the read a thon pile, so I picked it up.  And thankfully, it doesn’t take long to for Child to slide into the familiar formula with an undercover Reacher.  

(Amazon) The assignment that awaits him: The army is meeting with its Capitol Hill paymasters for classified talks on a new, state-of-the-art sniper rifle for U.S. forces. But vital details about the weapon are leaking—straight from the Capitol and probably into the hands of unidentified foreign arms dealers. 

Woohoo!  Reacher and military guns!  (And there are FOUR women involved?  For Reacher?  In 44 pages?)

Yup. 

This is a good one.

Edited by Anna Begins

Try The Walk Up Nameless Ridge as well, they are both very different, but oddly similar at the same time.  I like the ease of his writing- he isn't complicated (Atwood, cough cough :giggle2: ).

suicide.jpg

Title: Second Suicide

Genre: Science Fiction (the kind with tentacles)

Pages: est. 22

“Book” 78 for 2014

I wonder, sometimes, if this is not me.  Holding a tentacle up in front of the mirror, turning my eyestalk and studying these webbed ears, these bright green eyes with their space- black slits, I become convinced they belong to some other.

Yes, Hugh Howey is serious.  The length of the story is so short, and by this point, I now see the mastery of Howey’s short story writing.  His writing subjects are vast and well thought out, his stories impeccable.  Second Suicide is like, the alien version of Starship Troopers, but for adults.

Synopsis (mine)

A story that takes place on an alien ship eight days before an Earth invasion.  Told in first person.

Edited by Anna Begins

highfeat.jpg

Title: High Heat (a Jack Reacher Short Story from Never Go Back)

Author: Lee Child

Pages: est. 73

Book #79 for 2014

Ohhhh ya!  Reacher is at it right from the first lines, this time at barely 17 years old.  In High Heat, we get a good description of Reacher (his navy blue eyes *swoon*), but not much more about the young and ever still, elusive Jack Reacher.

It’s a sweaty 100 degrees in the summer of 1977 in New York and Reacher is on his way to meet his brother at West Point.  Typical of Reacher, he meets several women in the process and beats up lots of guys.  In a blackout. 

There is a main story line and then a very small one that is VERY far fetched.  The ending doesn’t make much sense.  But the beating up parts make up for it. 

I once saw a online reviewer on Amazon named Reacher Creature.  I wish I had thought of that. 

Edited by Anna Begins

From what I have heard I, Zombie or Wool are his shinning achievements, but I enjoyed Glitch for what it was/ is, as well as the others.  If you are interested in Wool, know that it originally came out in monthly installments of around 110 pages each (the book is 550 pages).  I'd assume they would be broken into the segments in the Wool omnibus.  At least I hope so, because I plan on reading the installments separately, maybe one per week. 

I liked Glitch, and I'll try Half Way Home next. The Shell Collector looks too.

Try The Walk Up Nameless Ridge as well, they are both very different, but oddly similar at the same time.  I like the ease of his writing- he isn't complicated (Atwood, cough cough :giggle2: ).

:D Cheeky! .... :blush2:  ..... :giggle2:

Blimey, seems that Howey has written a lot of books in a short time! :o  

I liked Glitch, and I'll try Half Way Home next. The Shell Collector looks too.

:D Cheeky! .... :blush2:  ..... :giggle2:

Blimey, seems that Howey has written a lot of books in a short time! :o  

:giggle2:

I have put Half Way Home on my list for next year and I pre-ordered The Shell Collector.  I've never done a pre- order with Amazon before as I usually buy from book to book as I read them, and I always read the sample first.  Not with Howey though, he seems pretty consistent.  He does write a lot, but I have been pleased that all his short stories on Amazon are so professional.  I'm glad you liked Glitch, I think I will read Peace in Amber today.