Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

I must get around to reading a Catherine Ryan Hyde following all these recommendations!

If / when you do, I hope you enjoy the book you pick :)

I totally will.  I didn't know if I should wait to read the review til I read the book or read the review before I read the book!

Hmmm, that's up to you! If you read the review first (no spoilers), you might have higher or lower expectations, which could cloud your judgement of the book or make it more enjoyable. But if you read it after, the review might be less interesting to read? I don't know :shrug:, I don't mind if you prefer to wait though :). Do whatever you like :friends0:.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mazerunner.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 386

My synopsis:

Thomas wakes up in a dark box that is hurling him to a bright light that turns out to be an agricultural glade filled with only boys and is surrounded by a stone maze.  Paraphrasing from Amazon:  Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze.  Is it the way out of the Glade?  Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

My thoughts:

Well, it is one heck of a book.  It exceeded my expectations.  I especially liked specific characters, I thought some were more developed than others, but the few main characters that are in the book are good ones.  Like the rest of the group in our reading circle for the Dashner series, I am anxious to rip through these books and finish as fast as possible. Most- if not all- in the group read are ahead of me. The Scorch Trials, will be up next, as Gaia said, The Maze Runner left a provocative ending, I find it as a possible stand alone or the first book to the trilogy.  I can only hope The Scorch Trials are as good as The Maze Runner.

I found some parts reminiscent of Divergent, but most of all Lord of the Flies.  It reminded me of a mash of the two.   Recommended. 

Great review Anna! Another for the wish list...!

Yes, I would say it deserves a spot on the TBR... quite enjoyable.  As is the sequel.  Haven't gotten to the 3rd or prequel yet, but hope to finish by Thanksgiving (the 27th), so I can start some new books before the year is over- I want to read A Time to Kill by John Grisham and Revival by King.  And I will stick A Christmas Carol in December somewhere!  Perhaps the Read a thon.

scorch.jpg

Title: The Scorch Trials Maze Runner series #2)

Author: James Dashner

Pages: 370

Genre: Science fiction/ dystopian

Age Range: YA

Dates: 11/13- 11/17

Book # 68 for 2014

From Amazon (partial):

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch. 

My thoughts:

Dropping you right back into the sense of nervous calm left at the end of The Maze Runner, James Dashner's The Scorch Trials has you already feeling goose bumps as you know not all is right in the dormitory where a handful of left over teenage boys from The Maze slumber.  And so begins a chain of events that lead them to a new test.  And no, Dashner doesn't have you weary of their troubles or tired of the Trials.  In fact, you skim the next Chapter just to make sure a beloved character is still alive or just to find out how the current Chapter will end, scan to the end of pages in the hope of a glimmer of what is next.  What is The Scorch?  And when will the Trials finally end?

I assure you, as soon as this review is finished, I will be headed off to read the third book in the Quartet, The Death Cure.

Recommended. 

I'm hoping by tonight :smile:  :readingtwo:  I am quite busy today though!  Doctors, nails and school, hopefully in that order.  Now I am running late lol....

Edited by Anna Begins

helloneath.jpg

Title: Hell on Earth: Brutality and Violence Under the Stalinist Regime

Author: Ludwik Kowalski

Pages: 140

Genre: Essay/ Article/ History

Dates 11/20- 11/22

Book #70 for 2014

I picked up this piece because I was looking for an easy read in between The Death Cure and a day of tiredness. I know, categorizing this book as easy is a little crazy, but it is more the manner in which it is written. While it took me 2-3 days to finish it, I did so at a leisurely pace, during the Huger Games marathon's intermissions, waiting in the car, at school during a rest period. 

Dr. Ludwik Kowalski is a physicist from France, who's father died in Siberia's Kolyma gulag camp.  Kowalski set out for answers and what became of his research was published online at Montclair State University's website as the essay Alaska Notes.  The result was a number of posts by other professors and re-research on the authors part, which was turned into Hell on Earth.  Written like a dissertation paper, the piece has some harsh parts, but are dealt with manner of fact, not in an emotional telling. 

The book is broken down into 7 sections, most of them dealing with Kowalski asking questions and trying to find answers, questions dealing with Marxism and Communism, Marxist Ideology in the Soviet Union, the reality of life in the Soviet Union, Stalin's ideologies and how they were carried out.  Again, this began as an essay and is written in an outline type format, so these are all easy sections, especially if one has a knowledge of Russian History and Communism.  In fact, you almost need one, as the book explains very little of the meanings of these subjects, only exploring the ideologies.

Hell on Earth finsihes with posts by the professors that commented to Dr. Kowalski's online posting of Alaska Notes, and his responses.  This got on my nerves, as I felt like I was reading an internet comments section.  However, the piece does what it sets out to do: Ask questions and find answers if possible, or ideas of answers if possible.  Most of the questions raised remain questions, as really, is there any answer to went on during this terrible period of time?  To what extent man's inhumanity to man exists and can be carried out?  The author captures this hopeless feeling, and on the whole, it is a piece that makes you feel;  desperate, but thankful that part of history is over.  And you are left hoping it doesn't or isn't going to repeat.

Edited by Anna Begins

Thanks for the review, I find anything about the cold war and soviet history very interesting. As you mentioned that it was laid out like a dissertation paper I decided to see who published it. It's published by a company called Wasteland Press who are a self publishing company so it sounds like it could have done with some more editing.

It's published by a company called Wasteland Press who are a self publishing company so it sounds like it could have done with some more editing.

Yes, there were some errors, but I was able to over look them.  Mostly it would be a / where the first " would go for a quote.  Other than that, there were not too many, not as bad as one series of self published Kindle Shorts I've read (Looking at you, Zombie Apocalypse 1-5), that one even got our and are wrong :banghead: I'd say the format was the most annoying but if you can accept it for what it is, then it is an just an ok piece.  If you like Soviet History, Anne Applebaum has two books out, which I read last year (Gulag and Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944- 1956).  Gulag won a Pulitzer.  I think these two books would be more your thing.

Great review! It wouldn't be my kind of book, but I'm glad you liked it :).

Thanks- I really wanted to explain just what it was, that was a little difficult, since it was so different.  Still, I put more effort into this one than others, so thanks for the complement!  No, It surely wouldn't be your thing ;) But thanks for reading it anyway :smile:

deathcure.jpg

Title: Death Cure, Maze Runner series final #3

Author: James Dashner

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: 354

Dates: 11/16- 11/ 20, 11/22

Book #69 for 2014

So, this is a hard one to explain and a hard  one to review.  Dashner wraps up The Maze Runner series with The Death Cure, but  I don't know, I felt the second 1/2 to be predictable and boring.  It's hard to write up a synopsis for this, as it is spoiler-y and Amazon or Goodreads doesn't describe it very well either, perhaps because it is the 3rd book in a trilogy.  Well, it is a quartet officially, the 4th book being an after the fact prequel, that has completely different characters.  I have yet to make up my mind if I will read it.

All in all, I recommend the series as a whole.

It's a shame the second half of the book wasn't as enjoyable for you :(. It is hard to review without spoilers! My offer still stands to tell you what happens in The Kill Order but if you feel up for giving the book a go (since you already own it), I'd say go for it.

humans.jpg

Author: Matt Haig

Title: The Humans

Pages: 321

Genre: Science Fiction

Book #66 for 2014

Dates read: 11/7-11/10, 11/16 and 11/24

Matt Haig is brilliant in this dark comedy about an extraterrestrial learning to live on Earth in a human body.  That is my synopsis. (Amazon and Goodreads gives too much away imo).  The book is really about love, finding the alien concept of compassion and desire, the human concept of mortality; and the screwed up things we do to the people in our lives and how we fix them (or not).  Light, short and easy to read, The Humans will put a smile on your face while giving your mind pause. 

Sent to Earth to erase/ delete a major mathematical problem solved by abducted Host body, Andrew Martin, the alien must deal with Martin’s dysfunctional family problems, getting along with the family dog and- amongst others trials- deals with that hideous human appendage: the nose.  Ultimately deciding between life on Earth or a return to its home planet, he wrestles back and forth with newly found and half welcomed human emotions and feelings.

Oh ya, and throughout his mission, the Vonnadorian’s want him back.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm glad you enjoyed this book, great review! I've got the book on my wishlist :).

I think you'd really like it, it is very original and fun.  I have one of his others, The Radleys, on the list for next year.

Edited by Anna Begins

Glad you enjoyed The Humans. :smile: Interesting cover, which I haven't seen before.

Hey!  Thanks for stopping in Claire and BB!

I loved that cover too, especially when I read the book about the "proboscis".  <Bonus points, I spelled that right :giggle2:

I'm glad you enjoyed it too, Anna!  I've bought it for one of my friends for Christmas, I loved it that much, I want to share it around. :D

I think I might do that for one friend as well!  I have one that would love that underlying storyline of human psychology.