Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

peace-3.jpg

Title: Peace in Amber: The World of Kurt Vonnegut

Author: Hugh Howey

Pages: 41

Genre: Science Fiction (Aliens) mixed with autobiographical elements (seriously.)

Abandoned

Ok, I am a 1/3 of the way into Peace In Amber and now I know why I am having trouble with this short story.  First of all, I can tell it is brilliant.  Howey mixes in elements of Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse- Five with his true life experiences of being in Manhattan on September 11, 2001.

However, I am having trouble with this book because- according to some vague memories and my Kindle- I have read Slaughterhouse- Five- but for the life of me, cannot remember it.  I specifically do not remember the Tralfamadorians.  And it really makes a difference.  I would recommend this if you have read Slaughterhouse- Five, as it is a brilliant piece to these Howey short stories I have been reading; I can’t wait to read it to the end… after I read Slaughterhouse- Five again.

Edited by Anna Begins

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered The Shell Collector.  I've never done a pre- order with Amazon before as I usually buy from book to book as I read them, and I always read the sample first.  Not with Howey though, he seems pretty consistent.  He does write a lot, but I have been pleased that all his short stories on Amazon are so professional.  I'm glad you liked Glitch, I think I will read Peace in Amber today.

I'll definitely try The Shell Collector (I'm trying kindle unlimited now, so TSC is on my wishlist, as 23 other books.. and 8 on my kindle fire already....  :sarcastic: .... :giggle2: )  i hope that you enjoy TSC, as it's only a few days now :exc: .

I'll definitely try The Shell Collector (I'm trying kindle unlimited now, so TSC is on my wishlist, as 23 other books.. and 8 on my kindle fire already....  :sarcastic: .... :giggle2: )  i hope that you enjoy TSC, as it's only a few days now :exc: .

Please let me know how you like Unlimited!  There seems to be a lot more books on it now than when it started.  I am just beginning The Shell Collector now :)

katherines.jpg

Title: An Abundance of Katherines

Author: John Green

Genre:  Fiction

Pages: 279

Book #80 for 2014

Although just graduated from high school, Colin has dated 19 Katherines.  This book centers on Katherine the 19th, with flashbacks to Katherine the 1st.  While reeling from the break up with “Katherine XIX” as he calls her, Colin takes a summer road trip with his best friend Hassan, ending up in middle- of- nowhere Gutshot, Tennessee. 

It should go without saying that Katherine drank her coffee black.  Katherines do, generally.  They like their coffee like they like their ex-boyfriends: bitter.

John Green is hilarious in his writing of Colin, a child protégé (not a genius), who speaks eleven languages and loves anagramming.  Several threads weave themselves in and out of the story, each character enjoyable and the story moves quickly, as Colin searches for the correct mathematical Theorem for relationships… is there romance in geometry?

You can love someone so much, but you can never love people as much as you can miss them.

Recommended from page 1, through the end of the author’s note and the mathematical explanation at the appendix.

I'm glad you liked this book! I have it on my TBR. Nice review :)! I plan to read at least one John Green book next year, I might read this one!

If you read An Abundance of Katherines, you will probably end up reading more John Green, because it is just that good!

shell.jpg

Title: The Shell Collector

Author: Hugh Howey

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: 282

Book 81 for 2014

I wish I could say that reefs were all around me, but the threats I feel all lie within.

Prepare to fall in love, not just with the way this story is told, but fall in love with the ocean and love itself.  Hugh Howey’s The Shell Collector is difficult to describe, but in a good way.   Howey’s style is not unfeeling, yet is basic and beautiful all at the same time.  For example: a first time dive becomes a world of wonderful abyss and abandonment.  Howey speaks in first person, female, and with such ease, I only just noticed it about 45% in. 

My synopsis:

32 year old Maya Walsh meets the mysterious Ness Wilde after she plans a series of journalistic articles for The Times newspaper on his family’s oil empire.  The empire that helped the oceans flood and sea life to begin dying.  Maya is also a shell collector, shells having become rare now that sea life is near extinction.   Hess owns a private beach, laden with shells.  Invited to his home, Maya starts the interview of his family dynasty, but can she resist Hess, his passion for the sea and his shell beach?

*Make sure you read til the very, very end.

If you read An Abundance of Katherines, you will probably end up reading more John Green, because it is just that good!

That sounds good :D!

I'm glad you liked The Shell Collector :)! It sounds like a read I'd enjoy too, hence why it's on my wishlist (as you know :giggle2:). I'm glad you've been enjoying a lot of Hugh Howey's books :).

Please let me know how you like Unlimited!  There seems to be a lot more books on it now than when it started.  I am just beginning The Shell Collector now :)

Yeah, I thought I would give Unlimited for the first free 30 days, and it does seem to have a better choice of books now. I've now got 30+ books on my wishlist (just by browsing through the Unlimited lists), so I'll give it a go for a few months anyway. I think that it will be well worth it, especially if anybody who is a voracious reader.

suns.jpg

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns

Author: Khaled Hosseini

Genre: Historical Fiction

Pages 379

Khaled Hosseini once again describes his native land in beautiful detail, weaving the story of two women, Mariam and Laila.  (Synopsis summarized from Amazon).  A Thousand Splendid Suns spans thirty years of the history of Afghanistan, as Mariam and Laila endure ever escalating dangers around them-in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul.  They come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other.

Hosseini shows how a woman's love for her family can move her to shocking and heroic acts of self-sacrifice, and that in the end it is love, or even the memory of love, that is often the key to survival.

A stunning accomplishment, A Thousand Splendid Suns is a haunting, heartbreaking, compelling story of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love.

Recommended if you liked And the Mountains Echoed.  Not graphic like The Kite Runner.

Edited by Anna Begins

secondson.jpg

Title: Second Son (a Jack Reacher Kindle Single)

Author: Lee Child

Genre: Thriller

Pages: 40

Book 83 for 2014

His second son was a whole different can of worms.

In Second Son, Lee Child gives us glimpse of Jack Reacher and older brother Joe’s childhood- well, their early teen years- on a military base in Okinawa.  Even at thirteen, Reacher is his full grown, 6 foot 5 self, and yes, drinks coffee with the same gusto.

This is a really short story, a Kindle Single, later attached to the US’s version of The Affair (Jack Reacher #16).  At first, it seems ridiculous that Reacher could solve all the obstacles presented in the Single, but when the explanation comes, it is pure Reacher.  Everything (including the girl) just drops into his lap.

Synopsis:

1974. Even at thirteen, Jack Reacher knows how to outwit and overpower anyone who stands in his way. And as the new kid in town, that’s pretty much everyone. 

When his family’s future appears to come crumbling down, it’s the youngest Reacher who rises to the occasion with all the decisive cunning and bravura that will one day be his deadly trademark.

Recommended if you are reading The Affair, I wouldn’t spend $2 on just this single.  It is one that could have gone unwritten, but one I felt did not waste my time.  Almost any time with Reacher is a good time

winters.jpg

Title: Winter’s Bone

Author: Daniel Woodrell

Genre: Fiction/ Thriller

Pages: 225

Well, this story takes place in the Ozark Mountains, in the central part of the US.  Mainly a hunting and foraging society, the usually low income culture of the Ozarks is very distinct.  Link to that below. 

The Ozark dialect of the book takes some getting used to, as does the lifestyle.  Because of the language, the book doesn’t flow very well.  I found what I believe to be some plot holes and also some things that didn’t make sense.  Sometimes, it was a language barrier or a cultural one, others, I  :hide:  think it was just the writing.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, as it made the main character more interesting), I kept seeing Jennifer Lawrence in her role of Ree, and really, that was what carried me through this book.  The whole “Hatfield and McCoy” family feud is way overdone and little sympathy is given to impoverished and overburdened 16 year old Ree. 

An interesting note is that Daniel Woodrell has lived in the Ozarks most of his life.  That part of Winter’s Bone is the most colorful and interesting, the part that is sticking with me.  Woodrell paints a bleak picture, for sure.

No, I haven’t seen the movie, but now I really want to.  If only to see Jennifer Lawrence make this story work.

Synopsis from Amazon:

Ree Dolly's father has skipped bail on charges that he ran a crystal meth lab, and the Dollys will lose their house if he doesn't show up for his next court date. With two young brothers depending on her, 16-year-old Ree knows she has to bring her father back, dead or alive. Living in the harsh poverty of the Ozarks, Ree learns quickly that asking questions of the rough Dolly clan can be a fatal mistake. But, as an unsettling revelation lurks, Ree discovers unforeseen depths in herself and in a family network that protects its own at any cost.

More on Ozark culture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks#Culture

Edited by Anna Begins

Hi Anna, I know you've read the Atwood Oryx and Crake trilogy, so just wanted to ask a question. My reading group have MaddAddam for our next read, but I know it's the final book in the trilogy. Do I have to read the first two books before I start it, or can I read it as a stand alone?

Hi Anna, I know you've read the Atwood Oryx and Crake trilogy, so just wanted to ask a question. My reading group have MaddAddam for our next read, but I know it's the final book in the trilogy. Do I have to read the first two books before I start it, or can I read it as a stand alone?

Wow- that is quite the choice for a reading group!  I would say that MaddAddam should be read in the trilogy and is not a stand alone.  The whole series creates SUCH a whole different world, you sort of need to know what Atwood has already going on.  It's a hard question because I struggled with this trilogy so much, I hate getting anyone involved in it and would just recommend staying away from it :giggle2:

;) At the very least, you could probably get by, just reading Year of the Flood and not Oryx and Crake.

Thanks Anna, that helps!  I've had a look and the first two aren't exactly short books, but I think I'll either do the whole trilogy, or email the leader of the group and say that it shouldn't be read as a stand alone, and see if she wants to change the book choice.

I think that would be a good idea.  After you brought it up, I went back to MaddAddam and it does give a healthy rewind of events, on Kindle, it says 5 minutes.  But then- BAM!  Right into it,  So, GL if they stick with it! 

Great reviews, Anna. I haven't read Winter's Bone yet, but we saw the movie.....thought it was powerful. Very good.

Woodrell's Bayou Trilogy was excellent.

I was looking at the trilogy last night.  I am in almost to the middle in the movie.  I was watching it before bed and wanted to stop before a certain part :)  I like that almost all the dialogue so far, has come from the book.  Although, they changed two major things right off.

Edited by Anna Begins

carol.jpg

Title: A Christmas Carol (audiobook)

Author: Charles Dickens

Narrator: Tim Curry

Pages: 108

Length: 3 hours and 33 minutes

As promising as it sounds, A Christmas Carol narrated by Tim Curry, is just ok.  I guess I was looking for more dramatization.  In any case, Curry’s voice is nice to listen to and this was a great way to enjoy this classic re read, one that may become an annual read.  This was a free book through Amazon and the audio was Immersion Reading for $1- $3 more, I can't remember.  It was a good deal anyhow and I enjoyed it while wrapping presents.

From Amazon:

This version of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, masterfully narrated by Tim Curry, was available for a limited time last year, and now it's back. This one-of-a-kind performance puts a unique spin on a treasured classic. Tim Curry performs this timeless holiday story in a deliciously dark tone, returning it to its Dickensian roots with a vivid imagining of Victorian London and just the right touch of outrageous fun.

A Christmas Carol opens on a bleak and cold Christmas Eve as Ebenezer Scrooge is closing up his office for the day. As the story progresses and Christmas morning approaches, Scrooge encounters the unforgettable characters that make this story a classic: Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, and, of course, the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come.

ender.jpg

Title: Ender's Game (The Ender Quartet series Book 1)

Author: Orson Scott Card

Genre: Science Fiction

Pages: 251

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is only six years old when recruited for an elite military battle school, to eventually Command his own team against another alien attack.  Seeing it as an opportunity to get away from his older, ruthless brother, Ender joins up, leaving his loving parents and a dear sister.  While in battle training, Ender spends time in an alternative universe with a role playing type game that gives him access to fairyland and the end of the world.

The dystopian world created by Card is vivid, the book legendary, it’s been on my to be read list for a few years now and it was a Christmas gift from the lovely Gaia, who picked it from a list of 5, thinking I would enjoy it. 

I did, but it took me to the very end.  Probably because of the heavy focus on training scenes.  I think I was expecting a lot more character insight as well, such as in Starship Troopers.  In fact, I think I had the preconceived notion that it would be like Starship Troopers.  It is not.  Card makes it his own world and Ender an original protagonist, surrounded by a circle of memorable characters.  I did see Anakin Skywalker in this role (Phantom Menace), as I thought the idea of a 6 to 11 year old unknowingly setting out to save the world was a bit far-fetched.

I might give the sequel a try next year.  Ender’s game won the Hugo Award in 1985.

Edited by Anna Begins