Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

I'm glad to hear you like the Phrynne Fisher books.  I loved the TV series, and bought the first book to see if I enjoyed it.  Not read it yet, but it's always nice to hear when someone likes something that you have on your shelf. :)

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad to hear you like the Phrynne Fisher books.  I loved the TV series, and bought the first book to see if I enjoyed it.  Not read it yet, but it's always nice to hear when someone likes something that you have on your shelf. :)

Indeed. :smile:

I especially liked how the author conveyed the thoughts of the characters, which you can`t do in the TV show unless you have voice-overs, oslt.

Congrats on the new books :)! I hope the flooding will be over for you soon. Nice photos though :). Nice reviews :), you've read a lot of books! I've read 39 books so far this year, so we're neck-to-neck (not that it's a race, it just thought it nice to mention it). I'm amazed by your speed reading. I'm glad you enjoyed some of your books if not all of them. Happy reading :readingtwo:!

Oh my thats so scary! I hope there isn't damage to your house. Cat doesn't look too happy at being stranded on the porch.

Wow, Pixie

You had some major reviews piled up there ,didn't you ?  You've gotten tons of reading done .

I'm so glad the flooding may be done now. That looks pretty dangerous !

It`s a split-level house ( 3 storeys at the river side, 2 on the road side ) so it`s no problem getting out of the house ( though getting anywhere with flooding throughout town and diversions, etc - that`s another issue ) - they`re still searching for someone who went missing during the floods. :unsure:

Congrats on the new books :)! I hope the flooding will be over for you soon. Nice photos though :). Nice reviews :), you've read a lot of books! I've read 39 books so far this year, so we're neck-to-neck (not that it's a race, it just thought it nice to mention it). I'm amazed by your speed reading. I'm glad you enjoyed some of your books if not all of them. Happy reading :readingtwo:!

Ooh, you`ve read lots too ! Congrats !  :D

Most of my books have been around 250 pages though ; I also have 3 Mighty Tomes on the go ( about 1/3 through the English Lit guide at page 300-ish , page 99 of an Alan Bennett book and page, erm, 3 of a Saki collection ).

Oh my thats so scary! I hope there isn't damage to your house. Cat doesn't look too happy at being stranded on the porch.

Some damage to `waterproof` plaster but only cosmetic really.

Yes, the Little Furry One didn`t like being unable to access her garden and the field, and did a lot  of running about, climbing and squeaking in the house. She could still get out at the front, but had a neighbour`s cat peeping in at her catflap, so didn`t feel safe. Flooding takes a lot of territory away from the cats and they`re all squished into one area. :smile:

I'm so glad you and your family are safe.  That would be a bit too close for my taste!  

Poor kitty-cat!  He looks more than a little put out by the whole thing.  You're right about the territorial thing.  Especially if they've been given the freedom to be a roving wildcat, staking out a kingdom (as my indoor/outdoor cat has been) this sort of thing can be quite stressful!

:cat:

It`s a split-level house ( 3 storeys at the river side, 2 on the road side ) so it`s no problem getting out of the house ( though getting anywhere with flooding throughout town and diversions, etc - that`s another issue ) - they`re still searching for someone who went missing during the floods. :unsure:

x

Awww :(, I hope they find the person alive and well but..

Ooh, you`ve read lots too ! Congrats !  :D

Most of my books have been around 250 pages though ; I also have 3 Mighty Tomes on the go ( about 1/3 through the English Lit guide at page 300-ish , page 99 of an Alan Bennett book and page, erm, 3 of a Saki collection ).

x

Thanks :)! My average amount of pages per book is 295.6 at the moment (40 books read). I tend to read shorter reads for the read-a-thon and a bit longer reads the rest of the month. Happy Reading :readingtwo:!

I'm so glad you and your family are safe.  That would be a bit too close for my taste!  

Poor kitty-cat!  He looks more than a little put out by the whole thing.  You're right about the territorial thing.  Especially if they've been given the freedom to be a roving wildcat, staking out a kingdom (as my indoor/outdoor cat has been) this sort of thing can be quite stressful!

:cat:

Thank you. :smile:

There was a small amount of water downstairs too - which confused her completely. Any pics of your feline friend ? :D

Edited by Little Pixie

x

Thanks :)! My average amount of pages per book is 295.6 at the moment (40 books read). I tend to read shorter reads for the read-a-thon and a bit longer reads the rest of the month. Happy Reading :readingtwo:!

I aim for 100 books a year, so it`s nice to get quite a few read early on. Silly but it works for me. :giggle2:

And happy reading to you, too ! :D

Edited by Little Pixie

A quick plug for some Kindle freebies - discussions - don`t know how long they`ll be available for.

I read Prospero`s Children in paperback a few years ago and loved it ; I`d really recommend giving it a go.

I`ve not heard of Sanctus but that has some okay reviews.

I`ve also taken the Jack Higgins, Len Deighton, John Gardner and Alistair Maclean books. :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

There was a small amount of water downstairs too - which confused her completely. Any pics of your feline friend ? :D

I'll have to figure out how to post them.  Cat is a magnificent specimen, sleek and black like a panther.  He was rescued as a little feral kitten living in a woodpile and is still known for being a bit of a wildcat! 

I'll have to figure out how to post them.  Cat is a magnificent specimen, sleek and black like a panther.  He was rescued as a little feral kitten living in a woodpile and is still known for being a bit of a wildcat! 

If you look here, Gaia was just saying how to post pics.

Cat sounds delightful ! :smile:

A quick plug for some Kindle freebies - discussions - don`t know how long they`ll be available for.

I read Prospero`s Children in paperback a few years ago and loved it ; I`d really recommend giving it a go.

I`ve not heard of Sanctus but that has some okay reviews.

I`ve also taken the Jack Higgins, Len Deighton, John Gardner and Alistair Maclean books. :smile:

Stop it!  I don't need more books at the moment :lol:

The Book People have free p&p today ( put `home` in the promotions box at checkout ) , so I got the Barbara Comyns set   ( The Vet's Daughter, Sisters By A River, Our Spoons Came From Woolworths ) and the Angela Thirkell one  (High Rising, Wild Strawberries, Pomfret Towers ).

£9.98 for 6 books. :D

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your new books :)!

Thank you ! :D

And here are the latest ones ...

Fer De Lance + The league of Frightened men - Rex Stout    A couple of the Nero Wolfe mysteries for £3.74

Cross Stitch ( Outlander 1 ) - Diana Gabaldon    £2.79     I really liked the look of this time-travel-romance book.

Beastly Things - Donna Leon     £1.97        More Inspector Brunetti.

Bum Steer - Nancy Pickard     £2.81

The Yiddish Policeman`s Union - Michael Chabon      £1.98         Still not read that comic book author one he did, but this looked fun as well - and I needed to get over £10 on Amazon to get free p&p - fortunately, I have a basket which runs to 23 pages, so I can generally find something to add... :blush2:

The Eye of Zoltar ( the Last Dragonslayer series ) - Jasper Fforde          £8.51 - have to get his books in hardback as soon as they come out. :smile:

And some goodies from the Save the Kitties shop - 

Julie and Julia - Julie Powell ( 20p)     I liked the film, though I preferred the Meryl Streep bits of it.

The Desperate Remedy, The Conscience of the King - Martin Stephens         Elizabethan thrillers. Not heard of these, but @ 20p...

A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, C is for Corpse - Sue Grafton     £1     I`ve read one of the later ones , nice to see how the series starts. 

A Dark-Adapted eye - Barbara Vine ( Ruth Rendell )        20p     I saw the TV adaptation years ago.

The Good Earth - Pearl S Buck     20p    I have a couple of her other books ( not read those either ;) ).

TBR 789                  New Books Bought : 88                         Total Cost : £171.81

Edited by Little Pixie

Oh dear, almost 30 books to reviews...  :doh:

39 The Wood beyond - Reginald Hill

I found this a bit too ` police procedurally` to get into, though still a good book.  Andy Dalziel is hilarious. 

40 Murder on the Ballarat Train - Kerry Greenwood

Exciting murder mystery. Must get more of these Phryne Fisher books.

41 Marriage is Murder - Nancy Pickard

An amusing series tackles a serious problem - domestic violence. It`s well crafted.

42 The Red House Mystery - AA Milne

Excellent. A witty and clevrly done whodunnit. A pity he didn`t write more mysteries, but I`m glad of the Pooh books too.

43 A Sea of Troubles - Donna Leon

This - and Aqua Alta - are my favourite Inspector Brunetti books. This one`s set on Palestrina, near Venice, and involves a storm heading in during a murder investigation.

44 Less than Angels - Barbara Pym

Comedy of mamners set amongst  an anthropology community.

45 Death of a Dude - Rex Stout

This made me want to read more of the Nero Wolfe books ; I`ve read a few, but this one was particularly good. It`s set on a Dude Ranch in a small cowboy area.

46 Murder with Peacocks - Donna Andrews
47 Murder with Puffins - Donna Andrews
48 Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos - Donna Andrews
49 Croaching Buzzard, Leaping Loon - Donna Andrews
50 We`ll always have Parrots - Donna Andrews
51 Owl`s well that ends Well - Donna Andrews
52 No Nest for the Wicket - Donna Andrews
53 The Penguin who knew Too Much - Donna Andrews
54 Cockatiels at Seven - Donna Andrews
55 Six Geese A-Slaying - Donna Andrews
56 Swan for the Money - Donna Andrews
57 Stork raving Mad - Donna Andrews
58 The Real Macaw - Donna Andrews
59 Some like it Hawk - Donna Andrews

I felt the need for some comfort reading and went for the Meg Langslow series, as a re-read. Especially good are Murder with Puffins ( Meg and Michael go to Monhegan island and find the rest of their family already there with an approaching storm and a body... ), Owl`s Well that ends Well  ( Meg has a family yardsale and a body is found ) and The Real Macaw ( The town of Caerphilly goes bankrupt and Meg has the town zoo to accommodate on her land ). They`re set in Virginia, everyone`s related to everyone else and have a lovely small town feel. :smile:  

60 Johnny-Under-Ground - Patricia Moyes

Emmy goes to an RAF reunion and is asked to collaborate on a book about the RAF Base during WW2. It turns out that someone may not have committed suicide on the Base afterall and have been murdered, putting Emmy into danger from former colleagues.

61 Dead Crazy - Nancy Pickard

Charity organiser is asked to buy a rundown building to help set up a recreation centre for mentally ill people and bodies start piling up. For all the humour in the book, it`s theme of mental illness is well done.

62 Dark Road to Darjeeling - Deanna Raybourn

Lovely book. Lady Julia Grey and her family go to Darjeeling to help her sister and solve a mystery.

63 The Chinese Shawl - Patricia Wentworth

A country house party and a murder; unfortunately, the woman bumped off is so odious, anyone could`ve dunnit.

64 The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz

Very, very funny with an occasional bit of bite to it. Izzy Spellman works for her parents in a detective agency in San Francisco ; growing up around private investigators has had an impact on Izzy and her siblings, with the result that even the smallest child goes out on assignments. I bought this in a charity bookshop just to give it a go ( the cover was a bit too girlie and tweenage for me -  click ) - and it was a real find. I was thrilled to find that there are more in the series. :giggle2:

65 A dark and Stormy Night - Jeanne M Dams

Dorothy Martin and her husband go to a country house in Kent and a storm hits the house - and a body is discovered. I seem to have read a few like this recently ( ;)  ) but the suspense is good is this one and there`s a fun ending.

66 The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde

67  The Song of the Quarkbeast - Jasper Fforde

A re-read of the first two in the series, before Book 3 comes out. Written as childrens` books in a world like ours but where magic exists and there are dragons, the young head of a magic agency finds there`s lots of admin and form-filling before magic can be used for... rewiring a house.

Edited by Little Pixie

Books read : 67                TBR 765                  New Books Bought : 88                         Total Cost : £171.81

Edited by Little Pixie