JackM Crime 2014

dex

• 2 weeks later...

Vendetta - Michael Dibdin

It's a better read than the first one so far.

Zen does suffer, like most detective series from the stereotypical set up, He's an outsider, who gets sent into closed communities to get cases solved as long as the outcome suits a particular clique, rather than get the truth. Sometimes despite the pressure he manages to do both.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

24th- 29th April

I've borrowed Stay Alive by Simon Kernick from the library today and will start it during the weekend, I need a story with some pace to it. :smile:

Way too many twists,but it does move along.

Edited by dex

Shatter The Bones - Stuart Macbride RR 30th - 1st P.185

'You will raise money for the safe return of Alison and Jenny McGregor. You have fourteen days, or Jenny will be killed.

Aberdeen's own singing sensation are through to the semi-finals of TV smash-hit Britain's Next Big Star. But their reality-TV dream has turned into a real-life nightmare.

The ransom demand appears in all the papers, on the TV, and the internet, telling the nation to dig deep if they want to keep Alison and Jenny alive.

Time is running out, but DS Logan Mcrae and his colleagues have nothing to go on: the kidnapper's have not left a single piece of forensic evidence and there are no witnesses.

It looks as if the price of fame just got higher...

Readathon
Friday
P.186 - 227, 1 Hour
Saturday
P.228 - 306, 1 Hour 10
P.307 - 376, 1 Hour
P.377 - 453, 1 Hour 20

4 1\2 Hours for 268 Pages

Edited by dex

Have you read The Bat? How does it compare?

Only just saw this sorry.  Cockroaches was better than The Bat.  I did like both though.  I picked up the next one (Redbreast?) in a 50c box recently so hopefully I'll get on to that one soon.

Close To The Bone - Stuart Macbride RR 452 Pages, 3rd May - 4th May

Sticks and stones may break your bones...

The first body is chained to a stake: strangled and stabbed, with a burning tyre around it's neck. Is this a gangland execution or something much darker?

Someone's leaving little knots of bones on DI Logan McRae's doorstep, but he's got bigger concerns. Rival drug gangs are fighting over product and territory; two teenage lovers are missing; someone's crippling Asian immigrants; and Logan's been lumbered with an ambitious new Detective Sergeant and gained the unwelcome attention of the local crime boss.

When another body turns up, the similarities between these murders and the plot of a bestselling novel seem like more than coincidence. And perhaps those little knots of bones are more important than they look...

Readathon

Saturday
1 Hour to 65
1 Hour to 130
1 Hour to 186
1/2 Hour to 217
Sunday
2 Hours to 309
1 Hour 20 to 386
1 Hour to 452
1 Hour 10 to 542

I enjoyed both books more the second time around.

Edited by dex

• 3 weeks later...

I got round to buying the Martin Beck series finally. I'm going to try not to buy any more speculative books as I have a years reading on my tbr.

Take One With You - Oak Anderson, 28th may. Free ebook.

I'm really enjoying this book,it's got a really good premise. It started out reminding me of darkly dreaming dexter, but it did have a disappointing ending. I liked the presentation with the newspaper and website cutouts. I'd also read his next book.

Edited by dex

• 3 weeks later...

Don't Look Now - Richard Montanari 18th - 26th

Andrea Heller has been married for seven years, but still likes to pretend she's single. She enjoys sitting on her own in bars, and watching what happens. But there's another couple watching too. They call themselves Saila and Pharaoh - but only after sundown. And it is after sundown that some terrible things are happening in the singles clubs in Cleveland.

In six months, three women in their twenties have been brutally murdered. And each step that Homicide Detective Jack Paris takes to find their killer draws him closer to the heart of his own forbidden impulses.

As the stakes become increasingly personal, Jack knows only one thing for certain. To enter the minds of Saila and Pharaoh is to enter a world from which no one ever fully returns...

I enjoyed it,but I prefer the Philadelphia set.

Edited by dex

• 4 weeks later...

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King 12th - 19th July

It's okay, but nothing special. I hope part 2 picks up a bit.

It contains absolutely no Suspense as he provides his own spoilers, 100 pages to go.

The premise is a bit like, In the dark by Billingham and I didn't enjoy that.

It's also not a page turner.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

Kiss of Evil - Richard Montanari, JP2 23rd July -

Christmas is just around the corner; the season of peace and goodwill. But this year, for Detective Jack Paris, the Christmas spirit is eclipsed by the hunt for a sadistic and twisted serial killer.

After an accused murderer is acquitted on a technicality then found dead of an apparent suicide, a spree of brutal murders terrorises the citizens of Cleveland. This viscous and vengeful killer tortures his seemingly unrelated victims in unimaginably violent ways, leaving them all with a strange symbol carved into their flesh.

When Detective Paris discovers that these murders are the grim handiwork of one maniac obsessed with the dark side of the ancient religion Santeria, he's pulled into a web of danger and sexual deviance. Jack must catch the killer before he strikes again. But on Christmas Eve, Jack finds himself right where the homicidal maniac wants him: questioning his loyalties, facing an impossible choice, with the barrel of a gun pointing at his temple and the whole world watching...

The two books are ok, but not as good as the phildelphia set.

Edited by dex

I've lost my reading mojo, a lot of the groups on good reads are either being taken over by brash Americans (It's freee.You've got to read it now and write your review, Haven't you got to page xxx yet or people starting a bookpal topic, Choose my next book! No thanks.

Have you thought about finding new book groups :) With nicer people. 

Edit: The next read-a-thon is this weekend, maybe you could try and see if that gets your mojo going! 

Edited by frankie

• 4 weeks later...

Poppet - Mo Hayder, 23rd August - 2nd September

Is reminding me of Pig Island.

I enjoyed it. They're are a couple of storylines in the book. At the start it's a discussion between Flea and Caffery about past events and the build up to the other story which comes about halfway through the book and then takes over.

Edited by dex

• 4 weeks later...

The Lost Boy - Camilla Lackberg

I read a couple of the reviews on goodreads and yes,

this is nothing spectacular and gets quite silly towards the end with  sudden finds of evidence by people forgetting they picked them up and other convoluted reasons for hiding the truth.

Disappointing 

Edited by dex

True Colours - Stephen leather 17th - 27th September

I needed some light relief and Liam and Katra aren't featured to any extent, so I've got through this quite fast.

I've enjoyed this so far and can see a twist coming,but did leather write it in or not?

Quite good, I enjoyed it more than the Lackberg.

Edited by dex

• 2 weeks later...

Heart Sick - Chelsea Cain

Bought Cheaply and left on my TBR.

I'm reading and enjoying this book, it's been on my shelf for a while.
I'm reading it for a challenge on GR's. The basis was to read the same book and discuss it, but I got paired with someone with a completely different reading taste. So we chose three books off our Tbr's and we picked one for each other.Hello:

I agree out tastes are different. Perhaps the buddy read would not work. 

I have gone through your TBR and picked three books that I have heard good things about.

Garnetthill by Denise Mina

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

Suspect by Robert Crais.

Please go through my TBR and give me three options to choose from.

Thanks!

9736930.jpg

4407.jpg

118494.jpg

She chose to read Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Edited by dex

• 1 month later...