What's up in December?

frankie

Athena wrote:  It sounds cold :(! Is it usual for your area? We've had the heater on since September or October I think, the usual I suppose, I can't quite remember.

Yeah, just above freezing, actually.  Not too unusual this time of year, it fluctuates quite a bit, slowly settling down to "normal" cold.  That would be an average of lows in the lower 40's, and highs more or less from 40's to 50's.  It all depends on how low the cold fronts dip down from Canada, or the Arctic regions.  If you look at a map of the U.S., you'd see the fronts sweep in the extreme Northwest, swoop down Southward, to the middle of the country, then swooping Northeast.  Most of the time we are only brushed with the southerly tip of the fronts.  Sort of on the line, so to speak.

Snow is very rare here, and even more so on the South Shore of the Lake...in New Orleans.  They are protected somewhat by the lake.  It's always 5 - 10 degrees colder here than in N.O.

Having said that, I've seen it snow, lightly, on Christmas Day, and at the other end of the spectrum, be very mild, highs in the 70's on Christmas. 

In December of 2008 we had a rather heavy snowfall, for us.  I'd never seen snow like that in my life, it was amazing!  We had 2 feet in the back yard.  Unprecedented. :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Wednesday we are driving to Charlottesville, VA (approx. 210+ mi each way) for a bi-yearly appointment with our dentist. We plan on stopping at an orchard, yes they still have some apples for sale, on the way. We will also do a little Christmas shopping in Charlottesville.

On the way home we plan a little detour and drive over the Blue Ridge Mountains and down into the Shenandoah Valley to a small town named Stuart Draft. There is a Greenhouse and Nursery there that grows and sells Poinsettias this time of year.  The Poinsettias are really nice and we will buy 3 or 4 for our house. They have 39 varieties this year and come in about 4 different sizes (and costs).

click here to browse the different varieties:

http://www.milmont.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/gallery.viewCategory/catID/10/index.htm

Edited by muggle not

They're all beautiful, muggle!  Which is your favorite?

It sounds like a beautiful drive, I haven't been up that direction since I was a child. We have talked about driving up around Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain area... someday. :)

They're all beautiful, muggle!  Which is your favorite?

It sounds like a beautiful drive, I haven't been up that direction since I was a child. We have talked about driving up around Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain area... someday. :)

I like the Poinsettia Ice Punch. However, I kinda suspect we will end up with two different "solid" type reds and one pinkish. LOL, maybe I will buy a small Ice Punch for my office area. :)

Edited by muggle not

On the way home we plan a little detour and drive over the Blue Ridge Mountains and down into the Shenandoah Valley to a small town named Stuart Draft. There is a Greenhouse and Nursery there that grows and sells Poinsettias this time of year.  The Poinsettias are really nice and we will buy 3 or 4 for our house. They have 39 varieties this year and come in about 4 different sizes (and costs).

http://www.milmont.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/gallery.viewCategory/catID/10/index.htm

I wouldn't have believed there were so many varieties! I love the Visions of Grandeur one .....so pretty. And the Glace one is  unusual, the flower looks very like some of the Dogwood species.

I like the Poinsettia Ice Punch. However, I kinda suspect we will end up with two different "solid" type reds and one pinkish. LOL, maybe I will buy a small Ice Punch for my office area. :)

That is a pretty one, muggle. But they all are, really.  :)

I wouldn't have believed there were so many varieties! I love the Visions of Grandeur one .....so pretty. And the Glace one is  unusual, the flower looks very like some of the Dogwood species.

It's true!  I had no idea, either.  Visions of Grandeur is gorgeous.

I think I like the Poinsettia Chianti, for the fullness and the depth of the red, or the Winter Rose Red.....it is rose-like.  But I like the orange one too! 

:crazy:   I'm very flexible in these things.  I want several of each!  :help:  :rolol:

Hadda post this! 

http://www.fox8live.com/story/24193353/search-continues-for-stolen-truck-with-120000-worth-of-hersheys'>Search continues for stolen truck with $120,000 worth of Hershey's

Ok, 'fess up!  Which one of you chocoholics committed this heinous crime?  :P

Hadda post this! 

Search continues for stolen truck with $120,000 worth of Hershey's

*saunters away from question whistling tunelessly*  :D

So, I've just got in from late night Christmas shopping where I spent the staggering sum of £7.99 on presents for my family.

And £60.00 on myself.

It is going to be a very expensive Christmas if this trend continues . . .

I hear you brother, a beautiful copy of 'Firefly A Celebration' that I bought for myself arrived yesterday. :blush2:

Hadda post this! 

Search continues for stolen truck with $120,000 worth of Hershey's

How far from Orlando, Florida did the theft occur. :)

All - here are some nice photos from snow storms from the last several years. Should bring back some memories to Sofia and Peacefield.

http://weather.aol.com/2013/02/07/15-photos-of-monster-blizzards/1

I haven't been on here that much lately what with work and having had the rotten cold that seems to have been doing the rounds. I am feeling a little better now, although there is still an annoying tickling in the throat, so it hasn't completely gone. The only good thing about having a cold is the fact that having to take days off means more time for reading, so good can come from bad. 

It has though been a strange few weeks for me, trying to get something sorted out for what was supposed to be my new job. I was offered the job back in October and got the CRB after just 3 weeks, so I should have started by now, but after the CRB arrived they suddenly sprung on me that they wanted me to do 3 days training with them before handing in my notice. Needless to say, the people I am working for at the moment (who are in the midst of restructuring) refused to give me time off. Initially they offered me some dates in November, but they are now saying that it will not be until January, with no definite date given. At this rate then it will be March before I can start with them.

After about 6 weeks of this I am then heartily fed up. I sent the Home Manager an email about a week ago, on the advice of my Union, expressing my concerns and asking them to help me find a resolution, but have had no reply. I have also tried ringing the home, but the Manager is always either busy or not there. Today then being my day off, I rang the Union again and this time they advised me to contact the company's Head Office, which I have done. Hopefully then this will get a better result.

I still get the feeling though that this is all very fishy and I am not al all sure about whether I want to work for a company that does this sort of thing. If they can do this before I start work with them, it begs the question, what else are going to spring on me once I am there?  At least if I do still go there they will however know that I am not a pushover.

On Wednesday we are driving to Charlottesville, VA (approx. 210+ mi each way) for a bi-yearly appointment with our dentist. We plan on stopping at an orchard, yes they still have some apples for sale, on the way. We will also do a little Christmas shopping in Charlottesville.

We bought:

(1) medium size - Prestige Red for our family room.....nice

(1) medium size - Glace for our dining room table........it is beautiful and my favorite of all

(1) small size - Freedom Jingle Bells for our kitchen table......wish we would have also bought a medium size for our family room....really nice

(1) small size - Peterstar Pink for the sitting room in our bedroom - really, really, nice - I like it.

Beautiful variety, muggle. :)  Do you plant them later on? 

My mother used to plant them in the sheltered part of the yard, against the house.  Some did pretty well.  Some not.

Sorry that you are having these troubles Talisman. I hope they get sorted soon.  :smile:

Muggle Not, they look a lovely selection - we may need a few photos of them 'in situ'. ;)

I laid a carpet (along with underlay 'n' grippers 'n' everything) in our brand new conservatory this week. Back breaking but very satisfying stuff. It's by no means perfect, but I am chuffed to bits at what I managed to do. Husband helped 'supervise' the last bits! :D

Have a lovely weekend everyone! :smile:

Sorry that you are having these troubles Talisman. I hope they get sorted soon.  :smile:

Muggle Not, they look a lovely selection - we may need a few photos of them 'in situ'. ;)

I laid a carpet (along with underlay 'n' grippers 'n' everything) in our brand new conservatory this week. Back breaking but very satisfying stuff. It's by no means perfect, but I am chuffed to bits at what I managed to do. Husband helped 'supervise' the last bits! :D

Have a lovely weekend everyone! :smile:

Today is rainy, dark, and gloomy and the photos didn't turn out real well. Glace is pure white and the most pretty of all but the leaves look brown in the photo. I may try it when the sun is shining. Anyhow, here are the four Poinsettia.

1. Peterstar Pnk

2. Prestige Red

3. Freedom Ring

4. Glace

Edited by muggle not

Well done Chrissy! I would never attempt to lay carpet, you're very clever!

I just love the Glace Poinsettia, Muggle, so unusual :)

I haven't been on here that much lately what with work and having had the rotten cold that seems to have been doing the rounds. I am feeling a little better now, although there is still an annoying tickling in the throat, so it hasn't completely gone. The only good thing about having a cold is the fact that having to take days off means more time for reading, so good can come from bad. 

It has though been a strange few weeks for me, trying to get something sorted out for what was supposed to be my new job. I was offered the job back in October and got the CRB after just 3 weeks, so I should have started by now, but after the CRB arrived they suddenly sprung on me that they wanted me to do 3 days training with them before handing in my notice. Needless to say, the people I am working for at the moment (who are in the midst of restructuring) refused to give me time off. Initially they offered me some dates in November, but they are now saying that it will not be until January, with no definite date given. At this rate then it will be March before I can start with them.

After about 6 weeks of this I am then heartily fed up. I sent the Home Manager an email about a week ago, on the advice of my Union, expressing my concerns and asking them to help me find a resolution, but have had no reply. I have also tried ringing the home, but the Manager is always either busy or not there. Today then being my day off, I rang the Union again and this time they advised me to contact the company's Head Office, which I have done. Hopefully then this will get a better result.

I still get the feeling though that this is all very fishy and I am not al all sure about whether I want to work for a company that does this sort of thing. If they can do this before I start work with them, it begs the question, what else are going to spring on me once I am there?  At least if I do still go there they will however know that I am not a pushover.

x

:( that doesn't sound good. I hope things will get sorted!

x

Congrats :)! What kind of carpet is it, what colour(s) etc.? 

Today is rainy, dark, and gloomy and the photos didn't turn out real well. Glace is pure white and the most pretty of all but the leaves look brown in the photo. I may try it when the sun is shining. Anyhow, here are the four Poinsettia.

1. Peterstar Pnk

2. Prestige Red

3. Freedom Ring

4. Glace

x

Those look very beautiful! We have one that looks just like one of them but we call it 'kerstster' I think.

Today we'll be decorating our Christmas tree. Hopefully it'll look nice once it's all done.

1. Peterstar Pnk

2. Prestige Red

3. Freedom Ring

4. Glace

We have sunshine today and I took some photos of Poinsettia Glace in bright light....now it looks much better. :)