Book Quilts

ViktorH

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some input on an idea that's been simmering in my head for quite some time. 

I am thinking of starting a small business called "book quilts". The idea is to create bed quilts that have class novels printed to cover the entire surface of the quilt. I first came across the idea after a classmate of mine started a company called Postertext - where a novels content is used to form an entire poster. Then I came across Spinlessbooks - more or less the same premise as Postertexts except that the entire novel is used each other - resulting in some rather large posters.

In the meanwhile, I purchased a cheap bed quilt here for the coming winter that happened to be covered in random letters of the alphabet. This got me to thinking - if an entire classic novel can fit on a larger poster, it maybe be possible to have it printed on bed quilts as well. I would just like to get some opinions on the idea. I have the feeling this adds to the bedtime reading atmosphere - literally wrapping yourself up in a favourite book of yours. Please let me know what you think.  

I know there may be issues with printing that small (and legibly) on a quilt, but strictly speaking about the idea - what do you think?

I think it would be really cool to have a Hobbit one. 

Similar ideas to this do exist as I've seen them before.   Like this one here

I think they're quite cool, but they're not colourful enough for my taste really - I'd prefer them with an image, maybe like when manuscripts/books have the first initial letter of a chapter large and coloured (I expect they have a name in the trade!).  I'm sure there would be a market for them, but you'd of course have to have a license to produce things like the Hobbit (or any domain books). 

Not sure about the text being shown, but what I do think would be interesting is covers from books shown.  Maybe a group of classic covers, or science fiction covers.  Themed in other words.  That could be quite colorful.

Thank you for the response.

The link posted by Janet was the only similar product I could find that already exists - I definitely agree about the image. The manuscript style would look more something like this. 

http://erinsingleton.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/illuminated-manuscript-1.jpg

I think this would vary from book to book - but I would definitely would not only have simple "New Times Roman" text on a blank white background.

It would be possible to incorporate the covers into the text - or form images in the text itself using spacing and indents.  

You are right about the licensing as well - for this reason, I would probably only have access to public domain works - until I am able to approach the larger publishing companies for any sort of hope of getting a licensing agreement. 

I'm still trying to find out if there is a market for them - I'm glad you found it interesting. 

Viktor