New here- Hi!

Anna Begins

Muggle, I have Cannery Row on my TBR shelf, would you recommend reading Tortilla Flat first?

Probably not necessary, but I would recommend it as it gives you a "flavor" for the people and location where they live. I have re-read all three books and enjoyed them as much the second read. Of the three books I think Cannery Row was the better.

Wife and I visited the Monterey area and had an excellent dinner at one of the restaurants on Cannery Row. It was a wonderful vacation and I was able to envision the area as it was years ago and described in Steinbeck's books. These 3 books aren't on the magnitude of East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath but I really enjoyed them and hope that you do also.

Edited by muggle not

Wife and I visited the Monterey area and had an excellent dinner at one of the restaurants on Cannery Row. It was a wonderful vacation and I was able to envision the area as it was years ago and described in Steinbeck's books. These 3 books aren't on the magnitude of East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath but I really enjoyed them and hope that you do also.

I'm about 2.5 hours from Monterey and we go there every year for my birthday.... in about a month.  I always feel like I can feel the books, ya know?  (And the Aquarium can't be beat! :D )

The best part is being there in the winter, with virtually no tourists!

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm about 2.5 hours from Monterey and we go there every year for my birthday.... in about a month.  I always feel like I can feel the books, ya know?  (And the Aquarium can't be beat! :D )

The best part is being there in the winter, with virtually no tourists!

You said it better than I. That is what I also meant....you can feel the books. It is a wonderful area to vacation.

We were at Monterey because we were racing at LaGuna Seca (Trans Am Series). Our driver (female) came in 13th out of about 42 drivers (male) from U.S., Canada, New Zealand, etc..