New here- Hi!

Anna Begins

Hi!  My name is Anna and I'm from the US.  I read constantly and am so glad to be joining BCF.  I've been lurking for a few days and this seems like a really fun forum!

My favorite book is Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (and no, I don't like the movie, it stinks) and my favorite author is Pearl S. Buck.

I love Elie Wiesel and Ernest Hemmingway (see avatar).  I read lot of Lee Child, Karen Fossum, Chuck Palahniuk.  I also enjoy Chris Bohjalian, Ray Bradbury, Hunter S. Thompson and John Steinbeck.

Guilty pleasures include "horror" writers Clive Barker, Joe Hill, Stephen King (just about everyone reads King, right?) and Max Brooks. 

I also spend time in the Russian history section and love Russian authors like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Looking forward to meeting and chatting with all!

Edited by Anna Begins

Welcome Anna, whereabouts in the US are you from? We have a fair few of our country men and women on here.  Looks like you have a very varied taste in books, I haven't read any King yet despite my Dad being a big fan and insisting I do so! I have The Stand, Needful Things and 22:11:63 on my shelf but awaiting the urge to start one. :)

Welcome Anna, whereabouts in the US are you from? We have a fair few of our country men and women on here.  Looks like you have a very varied taste in books, I haven't read any King yet despite my Dad being a big fan and insisting I do so! I have The Stand, Needful Things and 22:11:63 on my shelf but awaiting the urge to start one. :)

In in Napa, California.  I have a somewhat love/ hate relationship with this city, but I do have to say, it is gorgeous this time of the year. 

My recommendation would be to start with 11/22/63, The Green Mile or Needful Things.  Both 11/22/63 and Needful Things will go fast, The Green Mile is short.  Needful Things is a good first time King Book, Id say :D

Welcome to the forum Anna. :) Max Brooks is awesome - I read World War Z on my honeymoon earlier this year and have The Zombie Survival Guide on my shelf waiting to be read. :D

Looove Max Brooks- you know he's Mel Brook's son? I was :o when I found that out!

Hello Anna! Welcome to the forums. :smile:

I read Gone With The Wind last year and loved it. It was very different from what I was expecting (in a good way).

Have you seen the movie?  The perception of the movie is that Scarlet is superficial and extremely spoiled.  It completely misses the inner changes the character goes through and how she was never really, as self absorbed as portrayed.

No, never seen the movie. The thing that surprised me about the book is how strong Scarlett was. Before I had read it, I only vaguely knew what it was about....I thought it was some drippy love story, but it turned out to be so much more than that.

Welcome aboard. I see that we both enjoy a few of the same authors.......John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemmingway in particular. John Steinbeck is probably my favorite author. Ernest Hemmingway's book "The Old Man And The Sea" is a great, great, book. I also read a lot of Stephen King.

Anyhow, welcome aboard.

No, never seen the movie. The thing that surprised me about the book is how strong Scarlett was. Before I had read it, I only vaguely knew what it was about....I thought it was some drippy love story, but it turned out to be so much more than that.

I think its the movie that gives it that perception.  Scarlett is my favorite character period.  I love the changes she goes through.

Welcome aboard. I see that we both enjoy a few of the same authors.......John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemmingway in particular. John Steinbeck is probably my favorite author. Ernest Hemmingway's book "The Old Man And The Sea" is a great, great, book. I also read a lot of Stephen King.

Anyhow, welcome aboard.

What's your favorite Steinbeck?

Edited by Anna Begins

East of Eden is probably my favorite from Steinbeck. I really like them all and I believe I have read all of his books. The "somewhat" trilogy of Tortilla Flats, Cannery Row, and Sweet Thursday have a special place in my reading enjoyment.