What's up in November?

Lilywhite

Toronto?!  Pfftt :P Did he get to go to a game when he was in Canada?  That's great he's into American football too; does he have a favorite team?

It's 27 degrees f here this morning (-2 celsius).  I hate it.

Yes he did on both occasions.......I'm not sure about favourite footie team...he did come home with a footie top NY and Manning on the back!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a few days off work just to use up annual leave and I had intended to spend several days doing various DIY jobs around the house.  I'm now well into day 4 and I've only just made a start.  I had all the best intentions but I just can't be bothered with it. 

In it's place I have done lots of TV watching; extended periods of reading; several trips to the shops/markets and watched the horrid weather through the window.  This will just have to do.

Sorry to hear you didn't get around to doing what you wanted to, it's nice that you had some fun at least though.

I've had a visit from my sister and her boyfriend and am quite tired now from it. Time for some rest (and doing laundry..).

Coran rang me at work today to let me know that after 3 weeks the CRB for my new job had arrived. I was and am chuffed to bits. I rang the new company straight away and they said not to hand in my notice though until they have arranged the 3 days compulsory training that I have to do - safeguarding, manual handling and all the other mandatory stuff for those who work in social care. Hopefully they will ring me in the next couple of days then with some dates. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned, and the place I am in now is as far as I am concerned one big joke.  

We are making one of our twice yearly trips to Washington, DC next Wednesday for an appointment with our doctor for a medical check-up. I expect to catch heck from him as I have put on about 4 or 5 pounds since last visit and my sugar level will probably be up. He called me at home after test results came in from my last check-up and he was very happy that I had got my weight down to 165 and the sugar level had dropped.

My doctor is now recognized as one of the so called "Super Doctors" in the Eastern U.S.

http://www.superdoctors.com/about/selection_process.html

Oh, lovely trip, muggle. :)  I love D.C.

Ennh, 4 or 5 pounds isn't anything to go ballistic over, easily lost. :)

Super Doc, eh? 

Able to leap tall hospitals in a single bound, Look!! It's a bird! It's a plane! NO, it's Supermandoc...!!!!!!! 

Sorry muggle, just couldn't resist........... :P

I've had a few days off work just to use up annual leave and I had intended to spend several days doing various DIY jobs around the house.  I'm now well into day 4 and I've only just made a start.  I had all the best intentions but I just can't be bothered with it. 

In it's place I have done lots of TV watching; extended periods of reading; several trips to the shops/markets and watched the horrid weather through the window.  This will just have to do.

Tut, tut.....these things are important!  Don't downgrade the importance of, especially, reading! :giggle2:

Coran rang me at work today to let me know that after 3 weeks the CRB for my new job had arrived. I was and am chuffed to bits. I rang the new company straight away and they said not to hand in my notice though until they have arranged the 3 days compulsory training that I have to do - safeguarding, manual handling and all the other mandatory stuff for those who work in social care. Hopefully they will ring me in the next couple of days then with some dates. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned, and the place I am in now is as far as I am concerned one big joke.  

Hooray!  Looking good! :D

We are making one of our twice yearly trips to Washington, DC next Wednesday for an appointment with our doctor for a medical check-up. I expect to catch heck from him as I have put on about 4 or 5 pounds since last visit and my sugar level will probably be up. He called me at home after test results came in from my last check-up and he was very happy that I had got my weight down to 165 and the sugar level had dropped.

My doctor is now recognized as one of the so called "Super Doctors" in the Eastern U.S.

http://www.superdoctors.com/about/selection_process.html

I'm with Pont on this, 4 or 5 pounds isn't a big deal. Have a lovely time :D

Philippines Typhoon - The devastation and loss of life is terrible. There are estimates of between 1000 and 10000 feared dead. It is the largest typhoon on record, I understand.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101185217

The scenes of devastation are truly shocking. My heart goes out to all those poor people. Latest death toll sounds like it's going to be 10,000. It's unbelievable the destruction they've suffered. Now it's heading for Vietnam, I so hope and pray it's ferocity starts to lessen.

TACLOBAN, Philippines — TACLOBAN, Philippines (AP) — As many as 10,000 people are believed to have died in one Philippine city alone when one of the worst storms on record sent giant sea waves, washing away homes, schools and airport buildings, officials said Sunday. Ferocious winds ravaged several central islands, burying people under tons of debris and leaving corpses hanging from trees.

Regional police chief Elmer Soria said he was briefed by Leyte provincial Gov. Dominic Petilla late Saturday and told there were about 10,000 deaths in the province, mostly by drowning and from collapsed buildings. The governor's figure was based on reports from village officials in areas where Typhoon Haiyan slammed Friday.

I watched bits of the Remembrance Parade on various residents TV and did the 2 minute silence in the laundry room with the radio on. As for the Philippines, it's hard to imagine anything on this scale, such devastation. Many of my colleagues at work are from that part of the world, and have family still there - thankfully not in the affected regions, but even so, it's still their homeland.

I had been waiting for a phone call today from my soon to be new employer with a date for the mandatory training - they wanted to arrange this before they gave me a starting date, and before I handed in my notice. They offered me two days next week, but obviously I can't do that, as I am still working here. I went and asked, but the answer was of course no, as you can't in fairness go and do training for a new job when you are still working in the old one and being paid to still do that old job ... It seems then like catch 22, but I am sure a solution can be found and it will all work out in the end. I hope so, as I want to get it over with and make my leaving official - I certainly don't intend to still be here at Christmas. :banghead:           

It's awful what's happening in the Philippines right now :(.  One of my co-workers is originally from near Cebu City and her parents are still there.  Luckily they are in the southern part of Cebu so they are okay and their home is intact.  Her brother is still displaced from his home after the earthquake last month.  It just breaks my heart, seeing all the elderly and children suffer, not to mention everyone else!

It's Veteran's Day here in the US, so I want to express my deepest thanks and admiration to all those who've served or are serving in the military.  I have a cousin in California who I called last night in thanks - he was a submarine commander at Pearl Harbor!

I wish i could go to DC with you, Muggle!  I love it there, and am itching to go back to the National Gallery.  I was there a number of years ago to see a Sargent exhibit and it was the best collection I have ever seen :)

It's awful what's happening in the Philippines right now :(.  One of my co-workers is originally from near Cebu City and her parents are still there.  Luckily they are in the southern part of Cebu so they are okay and their home is intact.  Her brother is still displaced from his home after the earthquake last month.  It just breaks my heart, seeing all the elderly and children suffer, not to mention everyone else!

It's Veteran's Day here in the US, so I want to express my deepest thanks and admiration to all those who've served or are serving in the military.  I have a cousin in California who I called last night in thanks - he was a submarine commander at Pearl Harbor!

I wish i could go to DC with you, Muggle!  I love it there, and am itching to go back to the National Gallery.  I was there a number of years ago to see a Sargent exhibit and it was the best collection I have ever seen :)

Wow! A submarine Commander at Pearl Harbor. You certainly should give him your thanks. Matter of fact all U.S. citizens should do the same. My wife's niece (guess that also makes her my niece :)) is currently a Commander in the Navy.

Got home about 9:00pm last night from the DC trip. Drove a total of 590 miles yesterday. In between driving I had two doctor appointments and I visited my favorite wine store in DC and brought home 21 bottles of very good wine that were all on sale. My doctor wasn't too upset with my putting on 5 lbs since my last visit and told me that if my sugar level was elevated that "we" would work on it and bring it back down. My current weight is not too bad but I really would like to get it down to 165 or even a few pounds less.

Ditto, Muggle!  Glad you came out okay and had a nice but busy day of driving and wine shopping.  What is your top wine with which to be coming home?

I agree, without those who have served in the military, we might not be here!  My thanks to your niece as well :D.

TGIF tomorrow, yahoo!  And it's pay day, which makes it doubly good!  I'll be buying supplies for my holiday gifts and also going out to dinner with a friend.

Ditto, Muggle!  Glad you came out okay and had a nice but busy day of driving and wine shopping.  What is your top wine with which to be coming home?

I agree, without those who have served in the military, we might not be here!  My thanks to your niece as well :D.

TGIF tomorrow, yahoo!  And it's pay day, which makes it doubly good!  I'll be buying supplies for my holiday gifts and also going out to dinner with a friend.

Ranked in order of my preference for this purchase:

2004 - LaRioja Alta “Vina Ardanza” Reserva …...rated 93 by Robert Parker

2009 – Chalone Vineyard “Estate” Chardonnay

2009 – Chateau St. Jean “Belle Terre” Alexander Valley (Chardonnay)

2006 – Bujanda Reserve (Rioja)…...rated 91 by Robert Parker

2009 – Sobreno “Finca Sobreno” Crianza (Toro)….rated 90 by Robert Parker

2011 – La Crema Pinot Noir (Monterey)

Last year I bought half a case of the 2001 La Rioja Alta “Vina Ardanza” Reserva Especial.....this wine is labeled Especial only in years that the winery considers the greatest years, of which to date there have been three, 1964, 1973, and 2001. It truly is an exceptional wine. We took a bottle of the 2001 to Pennsylvania when we visited my niece and her and her husband really enjoyed the wine (we had it with dinner).

I'm getting over yet another cold.  In the four months since I started my new job I've had three and I'm beginning to think I may be allergic to work!  At least I didn't lose my voice this time, which was a tad irritating for me (and a blessing for everyone else!)  I've got a couple of 12 hour shifts coming up at the end of the month so I need to build up my resistance or I'm never going to make it through to the end.