What's up in November?

Lilywhite

This time tomorrow Coran and I will be sitting in the auditorium at Wembley Arena (hopefully) watching one of my favourite bands in the whole wide world - Sigur Ros. I love everything about them, especially the fact that they are Icelandic - Iceland of course being my favourite country in the world. We have booked a cheap hotel for the night so we don't have to leave early, as it's a 2 1/2 hour journey from home, so I now have 3 days off from work. I have been listening to them non stop for the past few days, and am listening in the background now as I write. :smile:  

Tomorrow meanwhile is the first stage of the consultation process for the proposed changes that they plan to bring in. I expect to hear all about it when I return next week. I hope that there will also be some news about when I can start my new job and hand in my notice, as it seems to be stalemate with regard to the training they want me to do. I can't hand in my notice until I have done the training, and I can't get time off to do the training either. :banghead:    

Edited by Talisman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting over yet another cold.  In the four months since I started my new job I've had three and I'm beginning to think I may be allergic to work!  At least I didn't lose my voice this time, which was a tad irritating for me (and a blessing for everyone else!)  I've got a couple of 12 hour shifts coming up at the end of the month so I need to build up my resistance or I'm never going to make it through to the end.

x

Good luck! I really don't like colds (I had them a lot when I was a child), I think my boyfriend has one atm :(.

x

This time tomorrow Coran and I will be sitting in the auditorium at Wembley Arena (hopefully) watching one of my favourite bands in the whole wide world - Sigur Ros. I love everything about them, especially the fact that they are Icelandic - Iceland of course being my favourite country in the world. We have booked a cheap hotel for the night so we don't have to leave early, as it's a 2 1/2 hour journey from home, so I now have 3 days off from work. I have been listening to them non stop for the past few days, and am listening in the background now as I write. :smile:  

Tomorrow meanwhile is the first stage of the consultation process for the proposed changes that they plan to bring in. I expect to hear all about it when I return next week. I hope that there will also be some news about when I can start my new job and hand in my notice, as it seems to be stalemate with regard to the training they want me to do. I can't hand in my notice until I have done the training, and I can't get time off to do the training either. :banghead:

x

I hope you have fun watching the concert :). Good luck with the job, it'll be good once you can finally leave the old one behind.

I am thinking of buying tickets to "Jersey Boys" which will be playing at the War Memorial Auditorium April 1 - 6, 2014. Tickets went on sale a little over an hour ago and it appears they will sell out soon. Remaining ticket prices range from $96 to $699 each.

http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/blog/tickets-jersey-boys-sale-november

;)

Quick Muggle, QUICK!!  :D Sounds like something you'd really enjoy.

hopefully tickets will be available tomorrow. They will be performing 5 different evenings and two matinees.

Directed by two-time Tony® Award-winner Des McAnuff, JERSEY BOYS won the 2006 Tony® Award for Best Musical, the 2006 Grammy Award® for Best Musical Show Album, the 2009 Olivier Award for Best New Musical, the 2010 Helpmann Award for Best Musical (Australia), and continues to break box office records on Broadway and across North America. JERSEY BOYS worldwide has been seen by over 18 million people (as of September, 2013). JERSEY BOYS is written by Academy Award® -winner Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice, with music by Bob Gaudio, lyrics by Bob Crewe and choreography by Sergio Trujillo.

Edited by muggle not

Hope you managed to get those tickets Muggle.

Coran and I went to see Sigur Ros at Wembley on Thursday. I have been a fan of theirs for well over a decade after discovering them in a Reykjavik record store back in 2001 (their music at least), just after their 2nd (or 3rd, depending on how you look at it) breakthrough album made them famous. This though was the first time I had had the opportunity to see them live.

I went to a lot of live gigs before I met Coran during my 20's, but none like this. The music, the crowd, the visuals everything was just stunning. The quality of the musicians really shone through, as the sound was almost exactly like the studio music I am so familiar with, and of course THAT voice. Their music definitely has a spiritual element to it - listening to is almost a form of transcendental meditation that puts you into a whole other space. By the end of their 2 hour set my whole body was just vibrating with energy - I have known anything like it - on the walk back to our hotel I saw people with tears streaming down their faces.

I can't wait for their next tour, and if I hear anything even resembling a rumour of gig in Reykjavik, their home city, I shall be straight on the next aeroplane ! I am so glad we had the idea to stay up there last night and didn't have to leave behind the end of the show, as it as it one hell of a climax, with some acoustic songs that they haven't played live in years.

Edited by Talisman

Good luck getting the tickets Muggle Not.

Glad you had a good time Talisman.

Just had an overnight stay at Bruges in Belgium. We lunched in the ancient town of Domburg in the Nederlands , then visited Ypres in Belgium for the evening to see the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate. Incredibly moving. Today we started with a visit to the first day of the Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival in Bruges. Fabulous and super cold! We had a lovely lunch and a long walk around town in the chill air, then we headed home. Lovely lovely time. :smile:

Good luck getting the tickets Muggle Not.

Glad you had a good time Talisman.

Just had an overnight stay at Bruges in Belgium. We lunched in the ancient town of Domburg in the Nederlands , then visited Ypres in Belgium for the evening to see the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate. Incredibly moving. Today we started with a visit to the first day of the Snow & Ice Sculpture Festival in Bruges. Fabulous and super cold! We had a lovely lunch and a long walk around town in the chill air, then we headed home. Lovely lovely time. :smile:

It sounds like a marvelous time you had. The War memorial must have been touching to see. I envy you the ability to travel to so many different countries within a reasonable distance. We travel to different "States" and sightsee but it isn't the same as going to different countries.....well, some States are like different countries. :)

I just bought 2 pretty good tickets to see Jersey Boys on April 2. I printed them out and placed them where I won't forget where they are. (LOL, how many times I put things where I can find them......until I try to find them). 

Edited by muggle not

How absolutely lovely Chrissy!! So happy for you that you can do can do these sort of things :smile:  Like Muggle, it's quite a journey for us to go to another country. I hope you took some photos of the snow and ice sculptures ...they always look absolutely amazing.

x

Sounds great :)! It's nice that we're pretty close, relatively speaking at least! Brughes (or Brugge as the Belgian and Dutch name for it is) is 'only' a two hour drive away. My brother has been there on holidays several times. I've never been there.

My Granddaughter flew in from NYC today and will spend Thanksgiving week with us. Tonight at dinner she told us her plans upon graduation from NYU. We have a few things planned while she is visiting like visiting the Science Center one day http://www.greensboroscience.org/attractions/sciquarium/index.shtml and also going to the Festival of Lights one evening. The festival of lights is amazing and has one million lights. It is one of the top Christmas attractions in the U.S.

Edited by muggle not

Chrissy, when I finally take a trip to Bruges I'll look to you for advice since you are obviously an expert! :D

Have fun with your family in town, Muggle!  The lights look amazing, and it must be nice to see them without turning to ice in the cold weather.  I agree it would be great to have other countries so close by!  Some states here are more interesting than others.  My surrounding states are not, however :lol:  That would be my one main reason for moving to the Northeast but alas, they get snow too.  Boo!

It's a short work week for me since my company is closed on Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving.  I took Monday off as well so I'll have a nice long weekend.  I hope everyone has a good week! :D

I hope you enjoy your time off :)!

After going out to a restaurant a few days ago to celebrate an anniversary of my family, I'm glad to rest a bit for the next few days. My brother has safely arrived in Santiago, Chili. I'll be doing some shopping but otherwise not a lot going on in the next week (gladly). This morning and yesterday I went for a brisk walk with the dogs and now I have some blisters on my feet. My weight has gone down though after eating at a restaurant which I think is pretty good.

Edited by Athena

Peacefield - Enjoy the 5 day weekend. Are you having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. You really live in a snow "State" and are surrounded by snow States, but, you can't blame the snow on the Vikings.  :)

The nice thing about the Festival of lights is that we drive through in a nice warm car. It really is spectacular to see all the lights in the sky, etc.

• Tanglewood begins setting up displays during the month of August to be ready for this large-scale event which begins in mid-November.
  • There are now over approximately a million individual lights, most of which are LED, that complete Tanglewood’s Festival of Lights.
  • Tanglewood’s Festival of Lights has been selected as a Top 20 Event in the Southeast and a Top 100 Event in North America.

Athena, do you do any cooking. If so, what type of food do you usually prepare.

Peacefield - Enjoy the 5 day weekend. Are you having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. You really live in a snow "State" and are surrounded by snow States, but, you can't blame the snow on the Vikings.   :)

The nice thing about the Festival of lights is that we drive through in a nice warm car. It really is spectacular to see all the lights in the sky, etc.

• Tanglewood begins setting up displays during the month of August to be ready for this large-scale event which begins in mid-November.
  • There are now over approximately a million individual lights, most of which are LED, that complete Tanglewood’s Festival of Lights.
  • Tanglewood’s Festival of Lights has been selected as a Top 20 Event in the Southeast and a Top 100 Event in North America.

Yes, it'll be a quiet traditional Thanksgiving at my house, with turkey, dressing and all the trimmings!  Most of my family live 2,000 miles away so I won't see them in persion but we'll Skype.  How about you and your family, Muggle?  Traditional turkey dinner?

I need to amend my statement before about interesting surrounding states.  They are just less interesting ;)  A lot of the US's pioneers settled here (including my ancestors) so if not for them I may not be here!  But I still hate snow.

I can blame everything on the Vikings, Muggle!  Everything would be better in my life with a winning football team :lol:  Like I said though, I still love ice hockey!

x

I cook quite often, but we don't have Thanksgiving here so we won't be doing anything special that day. I normally cook a variety of things, I think our dinners (most of which I cook or help prepare) are generally a mixture of Dutch, French, Italian, English and Asian meals. We always eat protein, starch and vegetables. Proteine is usually meat, fish or eggs. Starch is potatoes (baked, boiled, or chips or sweet potato), pasta, rice, couscous, or a type of bread (ie. stickbread or Turkish bread). Vegetables we buy at the market, personally I only like some vegetables but my family likes more of them. I prefer to prepare stuff that doesn't need to be heated up on the stove and turned every minute (ie. people say I make a great tuna salad) because I'm afraid of fire, but I cook using the stove (I hope that's the correct word?) more and more often (whereas in the past, other people used to have that task). These days my boyfriend and I cook most of the dinners, only in the weekend my parents help too (and sometimes my brother). They're home not so early during the week so I prefer to have dinner ready / almost ready when they come back, so we can eat straight away. Lately on Saturdays (when it's market) my parents buy fresh fish that we then eat, often with Turkish bread (+ toppings) and salad vegetables (ie. lettuce, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, paprika (you call it 'peppers' but not the spicy ones)).

Thanksgiving tomorrow.  After work today I need to pick up wine/cocktails, bake three pies, make the stuffing, prepare turkey ( I cook it overnight) and clean my house.  I'm exhausted already and it's only 10:15 in the morning.  I think I'll take a nap when I get home first  :doh:

Thanksgiving tomorrow.  After work today I need to pick up wine/cocktails, bake three pies, make the stuffing, prepare turkey ( I cook it overnight) and clean my house.  I'm exhausted already and it's only 10:15 in the morning.  I think I'll take a nap when I get home first  :doh:

LOL, I am making cornbread right now (the cast iron pan is in the oven) to include with the other stuffing mix.

I am setting out all the ingredients to make my baked (scalloped) corn dish. I will make it after the cornbread is finished.

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow to all my fellow American members!  I can't wait to eat! :lol: 

I too have to pick up wine on the way home as well as a pie since I'm not really a baker.  Muggle, we make a really good corn dish that has cornbread mix in it and is baked in the oven.  Mucho amounts of butter and sour cream but luckily we only have it once a year :)

I would also like to say congrats to Caramel and Popcorn, 2 turkeys that were sent to Washington DC for the President's pardoning ceremony. A third and not-so-lucky turkey was sent to the Governor's mansion where he will not be pardoned, if you know what I mean.  All three are from a farm here in MN.

Have a great holiday and a great rest of your week, everyone! :D

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow to all my fellow American members!  I can't wait to eat! :lol: 

I too have to pick up wine on the way home as well as a pie since I'm not really a baker.  Muggle, we make a really good corn dish that has cornbread mix in it and is baked in the oven.  Mucho amounts of butter and sour cream but luckily we only have it once a year :)

I would also like to say congrats to Caramel and Popcorn, 2 turkeys that were sent to Washington DC for the President's pardoning ceremony. A third and not-so-lucky turkey was sent to the Governor's mansion where he will not be pardoned, if you know what I mean.  All three are from a farm here in MN.

Have a great holiday and a great rest of your week, everyone! :D

Peacefield - Your corn dish is the same as mine. I also use 8 oz of sour cream and mucho butter with a box of the jiffy corn bread mix. I also have a different recipe that I frequently make for a corn dish that my wife likes better than the one with the sour cream, butter, and cornbread mix, but I kinda prefer this recipe. Do you use any sugar in your recipe or does the cornbread mix add enough for you.

Sofia and Peacefield - what wine are you having with your turkey day dinner. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all my forum friends in the U.S.

It sounds exactly the same as ours, Muggle! We use the Jiffy mix as well but no, no sugar.

Nothing too exciting for wine, just a couple bottles of Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc. I also bought. some prosecco to have with OJ in the morning while we watch the parade :D