What's up in November?

Lilywhite

Wow!  November already.  It seems that every time I take a moment to look around, another month has flown by.  With the changing of the clocks here in the UK it's really starting to feel autumnal with the nights drawing in and the mornings getting colder.  I do love this time of year and I'm looking forward to a few long evenings in with a book and hot chocolate :D

What are your plans this month?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree these long November nights will slowly draw us into our winter, but then I do enjoy winter. 

My plans are to enjoy the early nights and eat lots of scrummy winter foods like, stews dumplings, casseroles and suet puddings.  :D

The hot chocolate sounds good with a nice book.

I have to agree these long November nights will slowly draw us into our winter, but then I do enjoy winter. 

My plans are to enjoy the early nights and eat lots of scrummy winter foods like, stews dumplings, casseroles and suet puddings.  :D

The hot chocolate sounds good with a nice book.

I think I'm beginning to look like a suet pudding :blush2: It's hard to look forward to salads though when you're freezing in November :giggle: Oh well, an extra layer of fat might keep my fuel bills low :D 

Holiday!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

A week off and no work to think about!  Hurrah!

(I might even be able to catch up with what has been happening around here!).

Echoing what one of my friends said to me a couple weeks ago, I'll be 'powering down' for the next 5 months or so.  Winter makes me in an all-around grumpy mood so watch out! :P  I only enjoy winter on Christmas Eve and that's it.  Now if I didn't have to drive in the snow and ice I'd be practically giddy but ah, that's not the case when you live in the frozen upper-midwest USA like I do.

Fair warning my BCF friends!  Winter Marcia is about to go into hibernation :cold:

Have fun on vacation, Raven!

Suet pudding?!  Is UK suet the same as US suet?  Like the blocks of greasy stuff we put out for birds in the winter time? 

All's well on my end of things.  We're starting to slow down a bit at work which is nice after a very hectic summer/autumn.  I'm continuing work on my family tree, and starting doing research on my ancestor John Nutting, who was born in Kent UK and came to the US around 1650.  I love getting into the origins of my England ancestors! :D

I hope everyone has a great week!

Echoing what one of my friends said to me a couple weeks ago, I'll be 'powering down' for the next 5 months or so.  Winter makes me in an all-around grumpy mood so watch out! :P  I only enjoy winter on Christmas Eve and that's it.  Now if I didn't have to drive in the snow and ice I'd be practically giddy but ah, that's not the case when you live in the frozen upper-midwest USA like I do.

Fair warning my BCF friends!  Winter Marcia is about to go into hibernation :cold:

Suet pudding?!  Is UK suet the same as US suet?  Like the blocks of greasy stuff we put out for birds in the winter time? 

All's well on my end of things.  We're starting to slow down a bit at work which is nice after a very hectic summer/autumn.  I'm continuing work on my family tree, and starting doing research on my ancestor John Nutting, who was born in Kent UK and came to the US around 1650.  I love getting into the origins of my England ancestors! :D

I hope everyone has a great week!

Face it, you are really grumpy because of the Vikings.  :)

And I am not doing much better with the Steelers.

Oh, piffle, who cares about football?  yeech. :P    No cause for the grumps.  :giggle2:

It turned into a gorgeous day today, after a cloudy morning, the sky turned a clear blue with, finally a few clouds in the late afternoon.

We went out early this morning, and had brek at Starbucks, triple white chocolate lattes and a bacon and egg sandwich.  We were only going to go to the grocery afterwards and come home.  But once back in the car we thought of driving across the lake to visit our favorite second hand book store in Uptown New Orleans, McKoewn's Books.  We managed a few..... :D

Then we drove over to the French Quarter (about a 10 minute drive from Uptown) and stopped at a hole-in-the-wall po-boy shop.....I had the loveliest roast beef po-boy I've had in ages.  YUMMMMM!

Stopped a Whole Foods on the way home, and more grocery shopping. 

Long, and wonderful day.

Oh, piffle, who cares about football?  yeech. :P    No cause for the grumps.  :giggle2:

It turned into a gorgeous day today, after a cloudy morning, the sky turned a clear blue with, finally a few clouds in the late afternoon.

We went out early this morning, and had brek at Starbucks, triple white chocolate lattes and a bacon and egg sandwich.  We were only going to go to the grocery afterwards and come home.  But once back in the car we thought of driving across the lake to visit our favorite second hand book store in Uptown New Orleans, McKoewn's Books.  We managed a few..... :D

Then we drove over to the French Quarter (about a 10 minute drive from Uptown) and stopped at a hole-in-the-wall po-boy shop.....I had the loveliest roast beef po-boy I've had in ages.  YUMMMMM!

Long, and wonderful day.

You are fortunate to have po-boy sandwiches. Wish they had them up North.

Love the Whole Foods stores. That is where I buy my Bison meat.

Long, and wonderful day.

What is a po-boy?  I've never heard of it.

We had a beautiful day yesterday that had me thinking summer was here.  Went to a fireworks display at the river and even at 9 at night we were in t shirts.  Today it's back to wind, rain and cold again. 

Aside from the usual studying, I am planning on turning 30 next week. 
No planning other than just switching up a number. No party or anything. Not my kind of thing. 

But I lucked out with my schedule - it's almost empty next week. My teacher picked the perfect week to be away! 

You are fortunate to have po-boy sandwiches. Wish they had them up North.

Love the Whole Foods stores. That is where I buy my Bison meat.

I haven't had buffalo meat in decades!  I remember when it was first sold (at least down here). 

Yes, they're a little piece of Heaven! :D  Don't you have French Bread there?

What is a po-boy?  I've never heard of it.

We had a beautiful day yesterday that had me thinking summer was here.  Went to a fireworks display at the river and even at 9 at night we were in t shirts.  Today it's back to wind, rain and cold again. 

This is an oyster po-boy...but any filling will do. French Bread with  Roast Beef, Meat Balls, Shrimp, Salami, you name it, they'll fill it! 

smvnrt.jpg

No planning other than just switching up a number. No party or anything. Not my kind of thing. 

But I lucked out with my schedule - it's almost empty next week. My teacher picked the perfect week to be away! 

Good time to have a week off!  Have a peaceful time. :)

Muggle, of course the Vikes make me grumpy, but I'm trying really hard to put them out of my mind and concentrate on the Wild and ice hockey.  At least they're only in 3rd place in their division! :lol:  The Penguins are doing well too.

I know you don't have anything to be grumpy about, Pontalba, you're in the warm weather!  Also, is it the bacon gouda sandwich at Starbucks?  Lordy that's my favorite.

I haven't had any Bison since I was young.  I went out to dinner this past weekend however and had elk wellington and it was OH SO good!

HBD next week, Emelee!

That is where I buy my Bison meat.

I haven't had buffalo meat in decades!  I remember when it was first sold (at least down here). 

I haven't had any Bison since I was young.  I went out to dinner this past weekend however and had elk wellington and it was OH SO good!

What does bison taste like? I'm imagining a wild boar kind of flavour.

Bison taste is similar to beef but just a "little" bit stronger. It is much leaner (and healthier for you) than beef. You should cook it slower than beef and make sure you don't overcook it. I much prefer it over beef. Wild boar......no. :)

pontalba - yes we have French bread up North but they don't know how to prepare the po-boy sandwich. Po-boys just taste better when prepared in Louisiana. :)

My niece cooked a turkey for us during our visit. She also treated us to some pumpkin cake that she made.....it was really, really, good. I just now sent her an email asking if she would share the recipe with us.

Edited by muggle not

Thanks!

Today I defrosted the freezer, did a load of washing and re-negotiated a loan. 

Just livin' the dream . . .

(I did go on a five hour walk from Havant to Old Portsmouth on Monday and a more restrained two hour walk around Old Bosham yesterday!).

Holiday!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

A week off and no work to think about!  Hurrah!

(I might even be able to catch up with what has been happening around here!).

x

Have fun on your holidays :)

x

Have fun with working on the family tree :)

x

Have fun having some time off :)! I hope you can enjoy your 30th birthday, even if you don't have a party.

The next few days I have to do more chores than usual and my sister will come and visit in the weekend (for my birthday). Resting and relaxing are also important, I've been quite tired so I hope to be doing some fun but not too tiring things too (such as reading).

..... Wild and ice hockey.  At least they're only in 3rd place in their division! :lol:  The Penguins are doing well too.

Dare I mention that my eldest was in Canada in September and New York earlier in the year and is now a fan of Toronto Maple Leafs... :lurker:  He is hooking up laptop to watch a lot of ice hockey now, plus American footie.

Time to be thinking about the dreaded Christmas shopping....gads. :hide:

Dare I mention that my eldest was in Canada in September and New York earlier in the year and is now a fan of Toronto Maple Leafs... :lurker:  He is hooking up laptop to watch a lot of ice hockey now, plus American footie.

Toronto?!  Pfftt :P Did he get to go to a game when he was in Canada?  That's great he's into American football too; does he have a favorite team?

It's 27 degrees f here this morning (-2 celsius).  I hate it.

We are making one of our twice yearly trips to Washington, DC next Wednesday for an appointment with our doctor for a medical check-up. I expect to catch heck from him as I have put on about 4 or 5 pounds since last visit and my sugar level will probably be up. He called me at home after test results came in from my last check-up and he was very happy that I had got my weight down to 165 and the sugar level had dropped.

My doctor is now recognized as one of the so called "Super Doctors" in the Eastern U.S.

http://www.superdoctors.com/about/selection_process.html

Edited by muggle not

A Super Doctor? Now that is a title you want your doctor to have! :yes:  I hope it all goes well muggle.

Now what can you do between now and next Wednesday to burn off those few pounds and lower those sugars? Muggle Boot Camp? :giggle: