• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay! :D

Right . . .

For a while he stood on the front lawn looking up and down the silent length of Cimarron Street. He was a tall man, thirty-six, born of English-German stock, his features undistinguished except for the long, determined mouth and the bright blue of his eyes, which moved now over the charred ruins of the houses on each side of his. He’d burned them down to prevent them from jumping on his roof from the adjacent ones.

After a few minutes he took a long, slow breath and went back into the house. He tossed the hammer on the living-room couch, then lit another cigarette and had his midmorning drink.

Later he forced himself into the kitchen to grind up the fiveday accumulation of garbage in the sink. He knew he should burn up the paper plates and utensils too, and dust the furniture and wash out the sinks and the bathtub and toilet, and change the sheets and pillowcase on his bed; but he didn’t feel like it.

For he was a man and he was alone and these things had no importance to him.

:smile: 

ok here goes.

I broached the subject over the breakfast table today, I said 'I was in hopes that, if anything ever happened to me, the diary would be an endless source of pleasure to you both;to say nothing of the chance of remuneration which may accrue from it's being published'.

Both C***** and L**** burst out laughing. C was sorry for this, I could see.

"They leant over the gate by the highway, and inquired as to the meaning of the dance and the white-frocked maids. The two elder of the brothers were plainly not intending to linger more than a moment, but the spectacle of a bevy of girls dancing without male partners seem to amuse the third, and make him in no hurry to move on."

(Finding a passage which doesn't contain spoilers, but isn't too easy, is rather harder than I thought it would be!)

Doesn't sound familiar... But it might be something I've read but just don't remember... I'll wait and see what others come up with! :)

(Finding a passage which doesn't contain spoilers, but isn't too easy, is rather harden than I thought it would be!)

It is, isn't it? :giggle:

Oh dear.  What to use as a clue?   Erm, it wasn't written in this century... or the last. 

You're not a million miles away...

(and as another very tenuous clue which will probably only mean something to one of you... if at all... someone has made a comment which made me have a wry smile!).

:D :D Wicked :D

Okay, here goes:

One hour later, Mrs. *********** was still talking. ****** ***** had finished three Milky Ways and was in the process of unwrapping her second Butterfinger, wondering if the old woman beside her was ever going to shut up.