Has anyone read...?

Janet

Thanks for your feedback,much appreciated :lol:

I've read Succubus Blues.

I can't say it's something I would recommend; some of the characters weren't too bad, but the story line was pretty predictable and it had the feel of a piece of fan-fiction to me.

Having said that though, I believe her Vampire Academy books have a good reputation (I think they are written for teenagers, rather than the adult market her other books are aimed at).

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read The Great Gatsby, The Scarlet Letter, A Clockwork Orange, and The Time Traveller's Wife. They are very different in style, but I enjoyed them all.

I've read The Scarlet Letter and A Clockwork Orange.

The Scarlet Letter is beautiful, poignant, heartbreakingly believable, and one of the most perceptive accounts of a woman written by a male author I've ever read. A must.

A Clockwork Orange is a difficult read - not only because it's written in a made-up English-Russian hybrid language, but first and foremost because it is highly graphic in its frequent descriptions of mugging, rape, murder and torture. That said, it is very well crafted and has important philosophical points to make, so it's worth reading if you can stand it.

I've read the Great Gatsby and I have to say I didn't like it that much. I had a problem gettting through it and it's only 120 pages. However it had a great ending so that changed my opinion a little bit.

Has anyone read any of the following books that I'm thinking of reading?

The Catcher In The Rye

The Scarlet Letter

Life Of Pi

The Time Traveler's Wife

Have read these 4. Didn't really enjoy the first 2, but really liked the third and The Time Traveller's Wife is a favourite of mine.

The Catcher In The Rye

The Great Gatsby

Tuesdays With Morrie

The Scarlet Letter

A Clockwork Orange

Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell

Life Of Pi

The Time Traveler's Wife

Midnight's Children

I've read Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell. It's an interesting book and worth a read though it's like a brick in size. The book is really original too and the closest thing to it would be the Bartemaeus trilogy. I don't know why but they remind me of each other.

I've read and enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife too. It's fantastic and one of the most original love stories of all time.

I've never held much liking for Salman Rushdie though... But there are people who love Midnight's Children. Just don't let Ayatollah Khomeini watch you reading it :D

The Great Gatsby

The Scarlet Letter

The Time Traveler's Wife

I've read these.. really liked the first 2, really disliked the 3rd (I'm in the minority though.. Give it a shot!)

Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell

Life Of Pi

The Time Traveler's Wife

I've read these and they were all good ... the outstanding one imo was 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' a really remarkable book.

Has anyone read 'Carter Beats the Devil' by Glen David Gold or 'The Girl with Glass Feet' by Ali Shaw?

A Clockwork Orange, The Time Traveler's Wife, Midnight's Children

These three! 'A Clockwork Orange' is a powerful intense read that is thought provoking, provocative and interestng not only in it's textual content, but additionally in it's structure.

'The Time Traveler's Wife' I adored, and is a book that you will love or hate, no one feels indifferent to it. The central premise is intriguing and the love story that is woven around this is compelling.

'Midnight's Children' I probably rate among one of my favourite books of all time. Whatever else Salman Rushdie may be, he is a stunning writer and this book captures that in a richly imaginative and beautifully depicted way.

Has anybody read 'The Resurrectionist' by James Bradley? I saw it in a charity shop so bought as it sounded quite good plus I'd just finished reading 'The Bone Garden' by Tess Gerritsen.

However I looked at the reviews on Amazon and they were terrible! It seems okay so far - I checked on here and some of the reviews said it was okay but very gory....

Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson? I'm unsure whether to invest or not, the premise is pure genius but reviewers seem to be split down the middle as to how well it's realised.

Galileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson

I've read it, I quite liked it but KSR is a bit heavy-handed with the SF in it to the point it overpowers the storyline.

I've read it, I quite liked it but KSR is a bit heavy-handed with the SF in it to the point it overpowers the storyline.
As long as it's well-written, I don't mind the hard SF :D since I trust you (I'm enjoying Eyes Like Stars immensely, I'll have you know :lol:), I'll be buying this as soon as I am able.

So glad you're enjoying Eyes Like Stars!!! I think you'll like Galileo's Dream if you're alright with the SF, having checked my book journal from last year I gave it 3.5/5 so it was definitely above average :lol:

I'm ok with the SF and love Galileo as a figure (the only way the premise could have been any better is if it had been Giordano Bruno instead... maybe I need to write that one?) so the chances of me liking it are good :lol: I just wish I had more time and attention-span to devote to Eyes Like Stars, it's going slowly but for reasons that are wholly unrelated to the book; I'll definitely pick up Perchance to Dream the instant it comes out.

Has anyone read The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard? I did a search on the title but there were no specific threads on it, it only showed that some people have possibly mentioned the book in their reading blogs and it would take me quite some time to browse through all of them. Thus I figured I'd rather ask you on this thread :blush:

From amazon:

Imagine that some people have the power to affect your thoughts and feelings when you read, or they read a book to you. They can seduce you with amazing stories, conjure up vividly imagined worlds, but also manipulate you into thinking exactly what they want you to. When Luca Campelli dies a sudden and violent death, his son Jon inherits his second-hand bookshop, Libri di Luca, in Copenhagen. Jon has not seen his father for twenty years since the mysterious death of his mother. When Luca's death is followed by an arson attempt on the shop, Jon is forced to explore his family's past. Unbeknown to Jon, the bookshop has for years been hiding a remarkable secret. It is the meeting place of a society of booklovers and readers, who have maintained a tradition of immense power passed down from the days of the great library of ancient Alexandria. Now someone is trying to destroy them, and Jon finds himself in a fight for his life and those of his new friends.

Has anyone read The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard? I did a search on the title but there were no specific threads on it, it only showed that some people have possibly mentioned the book in their reading blogs and it would take me quite some time to browse through all of them. Thus I figured I'd rather ask you on this thread :blush:

From amazon:

Imagine that some people have the power to affect your thoughts and feelings when you read, or they read a book to you. They can seduce you with amazing stories, conjure up vividly imagined worlds, but also manipulate you into thinking exactly what they want you to. When Luca Campelli dies a sudden and violent death, his son Jon inherits his second-hand bookshop, Libri di Luca, in Copenhagen. Jon has not seen his father for twenty years since the mysterious death of his mother. When Luca's death is followed by an arson attempt on the shop, Jon is forced to explore his family's past. Unbeknown to Jon, the bookshop has for years been hiding a remarkable secret. It is the meeting place of a society of booklovers and readers, who have maintained a tradition of immense power passed down from the days of the great library of ancient Alexandria. Now someone is trying to destroy them, and Jon finds himself in a fight for his life and those of his new friends.

I read this last year, loved it and would definitely recommend it :tong:

I'll second the opinion of Library Of Shadows, I read it last year when it came out and loved it :blush: A lot of my friends (and my mum) didn't like it though, it's one of those books you'll either love or loathe.