Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read both and didn't particularly enjoy them however this is pretty much entirely due to my own personal distaste for the dystopian and not in fact a reflection on the quality of the writing, which is really good. I was made the read them and never would have chosen to independently because of their topic; but if the topic interests you then I see no reason you shouldn't like them.

I read them both quite some time ago, and would suggest you read them. Ninety Eighty four is extraordinary and worth your time, and Animal Farm is both theoretically informative and a lesson in bl**dy clever writing!

Edited by Chrissy

I agree with Chrissy!

I agree with bookjumper! :D

I read both cause I had to, not through choice as well and while I agree they were well written, I just didn't enjoy them at all. Animal Farm wasn't as bad as 1984 to me, but 1984 was one of the most depressing books I've ever read. Mind you I think that was down more to my personal taste. Sorry! :friends0:

Has anyone read something called 'Twilight'?

I kid, I kid. I'm a tad hyper and I thought I'd find this funny. I'm giggling profusely, so I would say mission accomplished :friends0:

This is next on my reading list...is it good? I'm not sure if it is crime or horror so have posted the question in horror.....love to hear your views on this book, I have not read a john connolly book for a long time

Has anyone read Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen? I've seen the novel loads of times in libraries and secondhand bookshops and today I actually picked it up and the blurb sounded interesting enough, it's historical fiction, which is something I'm into at the moment. Any good?

Edited by frankie

This is next on my reading list...is it good? I'm not sure if it is crime or horror so have posted the question in horror.....love to hear your views on this book, I have not read a john connolly book for a long time

I have read it, its the last one in a series of books featuring the same characters so if you haven't read the others for a background into them I would recommend you do. I loved it but I have been a fan of the author and the novels for a long time.

Has anyone here read Animal farm and/or 1984? I have been meaning to read these books for years but something else always came up. Are they worth reading or have they aged badly, i would like a few opinions from people here if they have read the books, thanks.

Animal Farm is brilliant. And a quick read too.

Has anyone here read Animal farm and/or 1984? I have been meaning to read these books for years but something else always came up. Are they worth reading or have they aged badly, i would like a few opinions from people here if they have read the books, thanks.

I loved them both. Yes, there are moments that show their age, but at the same time they're still strikingly relevant and definitely worth reading.

i got this book [Pride and Prejudice and Zombies] for christmas and am intrested to see if anyone has read it :D

Yes, I read it and found it to be very funny. It's surprisingly respectful of the original novel too. If you've not read it already, I would highly recommend reading P&P first, but if you've already read P&P, then I'd say dive headfirst into P&P&Z - it's hilarious! :D

Edited by Kell

No, however I have read bits of Tonio Kroger and I founf appallingly dull, although probably having had to read those bits in the original German didn't help. However #2, you've loved works I've found impenetrable in the past, so don't let me put you off :D.

Has anyone read The Sea by John Banville? I recently purchased this and would like to know people's opinions so that I can move it up or down my reading list accordingly :D

Clouds Across the Sun by Ellen Brazer.

I've just recently joined a book club which is reading this book. Has anyone read it? What did you think?

Hello: I am the author of Clouds Across the Sun and I am thrilled that it is being read in England. Please let me know what you think about the book. I hope others will read and enjoy it. I have been getting rave reviews in the US. Can you tell me how you found out about the book?

All the best,

Ellen Brazer

Edited by Michelle

Has anyone read The Sea by John Banville? I recently purchased this and would like to know people's opinions so that I can move it up or down my reading list accordingly :D

I have, but I'm afraid I hated it! It took a few attempts for me to get through it. The prose was lovely in places, but I hated the protagonist, and the 'big reveal' was a let-down. TBH, I can't even remember what it was!

The reviews on Amazon are very mixed - I think this is a Marmite book!