Has anyone read...?

Janet

I'm thinking of getting 'The Prince of Tides' by Pat Conroy

Anyone read it ? please :exc:

Funny you should mention Pat Conroy. He's a featured author at the bookshoppe where I work. He did a booksigning on Halloween. Such a sweet man. I always get a kiss on the cheek when he comes in!:tong:

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention Pat Conroy. He's a featured author at the bookshoppe where I work. He did a booksigning on Halloween. Such a sweet man. I always get a kiss on the cheek when he comes in!:exc:

Now i will defy buy it ... if you see him again, please tell him i want a kiss on the cheek too :tong:

:(

Has anyone read Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs?

I bought it for my husband to try (he likes Tess Gerritson and on the cover of the one he's just read it mentions Ms Reichs so I thought he might like those too) but it appears to be number 8 of a series. I'm not sure if the order matters much or not?

Yes! I have read it.

It is part of a series, but if I recall correctly this book involves only some of the series characters, but in a completely different type of setting from usual. The central character is a Forensic Anthropologist who mostly works in the US and Canada, although this book has it's main setting in Israel, following up on a case that started elsewhere.

Having read the series it's difficult to say that whether you need to read the others first or not, although most authors should be able to 'bring you up to speed' with their characters without you knowing the full history.

Does that help, or just confuse? :tong:

Thanks Chrissy and Kelly. :D And Chrissy - it did help. :D

I think... if it's in a different setting to her usual books, I might see if I can get #1 of the series (Deja Dead, I think) for him to try first.

I found a thread about her and I think someone said this one wasn't as good as previous ones - I don't want him to be put off before he's even tried her!

I saw loads yesterday in various charity shops, so hopefully I can find that one for him.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is going to be one, possibly two more but can't remember where - will have a search and see if I can track that info down :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read Possession by A.S. Byatt?

I'm speculatively planning my Folio Society purchases should I suddenly become a millionaire, and I'm torn about this one. I love the sound of all the poetry, correspondence and heightened language (the very things that put off the Amazon reviewers who rated it one star), however I'm not a big reader of romances and I've been scared by someone's mention of The Da Vinci Code in relation to this book.

Halp?

Bookjumper, I've tried reading the book a couple of times. First in English, which was really painful and then in Finnish. It was too complicated for me at that time, definitely not an easy read. I'm still going to read it someday, when my concentration is a bit better :lol: I think you would enjoy the book, I've always admired your way with words and I think you are exactly the kind of person who would swoon over the style of writing in this book.

I think you would enjoy the book, I've always admired your way with words and I think you are exactly the kind of person who would swoon over the style of writing in this book.
Awww :lol: and thank you, that's all I need to know really :) I love romantic films but usually avoid (modern) romantic books like the plague because I can't stand the way they're written! This sounds like it would be right up my street, then.

The reason I asked is that the Folio Society edition is

Awww :lol: and thank you, that's all I need to know really :) I love romantic films but usually avoid (modern) romantic books like the plague because I can't stand the way they're written! This sounds like it would be right up my street, then.

The reason I asked is that the Folio Society edition is

Oh my that is expensive. I don't think I've ever paid that much for a book in my life! I'm kinda creeped out right now, I do hope you like it, otherwise you've spent good money on the book and might want to have your revenge on me
Naw don't worry :lol: first of all, I'd never harm you, and second of all I will be sensible and go to the British Library to read a chunk, and invest only if I'm still convinced.

It's not like I'll have the money anytime soon anyway (being as I am

Edited by BookJumper
Can't spell...