Has anyone read...?

Janet

Hm, has anyone read The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist?
After being intrigued by this ages ago (Waterstone's was giving out promotional booklets of the first chapter, and I devoured that) I flipped through it when it came out but didn't buy it because I got the feeling it would be a The End of Mr. Y kind of experience (brilliant premise, grippingly written, really want what happens next but the book turns out to be too explicit for the likes of me and I am forced to abandon it)... so I could use your comments; if after having read it you reckon it wouldn't bother me I'll read it also and we can trade opinions :lol:!

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan? I was thinking about buying it.

I read it when it first came out - it was an okay book - very short and quick read. It was okay, but I wasn't that enamoured - it was a bit over rated in my opinion.

After being intrigued by this ages ago (Waterstone's was giving out promotional booklets of the first chapter, and I devoured that) I flipped through it when it came out but didn't buy it because I got the feeling it would be a The End of Mr. Y kind of experience (brilliant premise, grippingly written, really want what happens next but the book turns out to be too explicit for the likes of me and I am forced to abandon it)... so I could use your comments; if after having read it you reckon it wouldn't bother me I'll read it also and we can trade opinions :lol:!

Well I'm a 150 pages in or so, and I don't think that the mild sexual nature of the book has drawn me away from the plot yet. Don't get me wrong, that could change as I progress. I actually thought of you when I started reading it. I'll let you know how I get on and then of course we can trade opinions. :lol:

I've been debating buying the following two series the first is the fever series by Karen Marie Moning.

Fever

1. Darkfever (2006)

2. Bloodfever (2007)

3. Faefever (2008)

4. Dreamfever

They've been on my fishpond wishlist since I joined here so that leads me to believe someone on here has read them as it's not something I'd normally read.

The second series is by Diana Wynne Jones called the Chrestomanci series

1. Charmed Life (1977)

2. The Magicians of Caprona (1980)

3. Witch Week (1982)

4. The Lives of Christopher Chant (1988)

5. Conrad's Fate (2005)

6. The Pinhoe Egg (2006)

I was drawn to these after looking up the Howl's castle books of which I saw the cartoon version on telly a few months ago.

Was hoping someone had some good/bad reviews on any of the books as I want to place an order soon and will probably need to cut one or the other off as it's too expensive. :lol:

I haven't read them myself but according to my sister the "Chrestomanci" series is the best thing since toast and she's got a pretty good taste in books (second only to mine and my mum's, which towers over us all :D), so I feel confident recommending that, if only second-hand.

The second series is by Diana Wynne Jones called the Chrestomanci series

1. Charmed Life (1977)

2. The Magicians of Caprona (1980)

3. Witch Week (1982)

4. The Lives of Christopher Chant (1988)

5. Conrad's Fate (2005)

6. The Pinhoe Egg (2006)

I was drawn to these after looking up the Howl's castle books of which I saw the cartoon version on telly a few months ago.

Oooooh, those titles sound intriguing!

*runs off to investigate*

The Chrestomanci books are fabulous - I've read the whole series more than once! The Karen Marie Moning books are slightly adult books about the Fae, vampires and other creatures so whether you like them will depend on your reading taste :D

The Chrestomanci books are fabulous - I've read the whole series more than once! The Karen Marie Moning books are slightly adult books about the Fae, vampires and other creatures so whether you like them will depend on your reading taste :D

I've still got the Karen books on my wishlist - I seem to be reading lots of YA fiction at the moment. There's just so much good stuff out there at the moment for young adults it would be a crime not to read it all.

There's just so much good stuff out there at the moment for young adults it would be a crime not to read it all.

I agree! I've been reading a lot of YA fiction this year. :)

Has anyone read any of the following:

"The Phoenix Guards" by Stephen Brust and/or its sequel "500 years later" (both prequels to his "Taltos" series, I believe)

"The Looking Glass Wars" series by Frank Beddor

"Calculating God" by Robert J. Sawyer

They caught my eye in Forbidden Planet the other day and I was wondering if anyone could share opinions...

This thread has come along at a good time. I was given some books yesterday and was going to ask if people had read any of them.

Donna Tartt - The Secret History

Donna Tartt - The Little Friend

Colette - The Claudine Novels

Angela Carter - The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories

Michael Chabon (ed) - All New McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories (collection of short stories by Margaret Atwood, Stephen King, David Mitchell and many others)

I've read 'The Secret History' - twice. Loved it!

Has anyone read any of the following:

"The Phoenix Guards" by Stephen Brust and/or its sequel "500 years later" (both prequels to his "Taltos" series, I believe)

"The Looking Glass Wars" series by Frank Beddor

"Calculating God" by Robert J. Sawyer

They caught my eye in Forbidden Planet the other day and I was wondering if anyone could share opinions...

I've read the first book in the Looking Glass Wars and loved it - I have the others here waiting to be read at some time this century :) I've read some Brust but not those particular titles, what I have read was okay.

I've read the first book in the Looking Glass Wars and loved it - I have the others here waiting to be read at some time this century :) I've read some Brust but not those particular titles, what I have read was okay.
Thanks for that, reviewers seem to be uncommonly divided on "The Looking Glass Wars" so I was unsure what to think! Although to be honest, some of the detractors sounded a bit on the dense side, such as the one who was horrified to think that others would fall for Beddor's claim that this was the "true" story of Alice in Wonderland. Obviously never heard of artistic licence and suspension of disbelief, some people... :).

I've never read any Brust, but this looked right up my alley because apparently it's a loving parody of the cash-driven eloquence of "The Three Musketeers" (Dumas was paid by the word) - "500 Years Later" being Brust's response to Dumas's "20 Years Later".

Could I ask you why what you read of his was just "okay"?

It was a case of the right book at the wrong time, I'm sure if I reread the two books now I would probably have a different opinion but at the time I didn't like them too much. Having said that, I just flipped through my book journals and I absolutely loved Gypsy which I must admit I had forgotten was by Brust :)

Mst people I know that have read the Beddor books really liked them and when I was working in a particular chain of bookstores they were very popular!

I've read both The looking glass wars and Seeing Redd and enjoyed them both. I'm waiting for the third to be released which is slated for next month I think.

It's out on October 15th - I was lucky enough to get an ARC but I've not read it yet!

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has read The Affinity Bridge by George Mann? I keep getting recommendations for it and the other 2 in the series - this is the blurb from Amazon.

"Welcome to the bizarre and dangerous world of Victorian London, a city teetering on the edge of revolution. Its people are ushering in a new era of technology, dazzled each day by new inventions. Airships soar in the skies over the city, whilst ground trains rumble through the streets and clockwork automatons are programmed to carry out menial tasks in the offices of lawyers, policemen and journalists. But beneath this shiny veneer of progress lurks a sinister side. For this is also a world where lycanthropy is a rampant disease that plagues the dirty whorehouses of Whitechapel, where poltergeist infestations create havoc in old country seats, where cadavers can rise from the dead and where nobody ever goes near the Natural History Museum."

It's out on October 15th - I was lucky enough to get an ARC but I've not read it yet!

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has read The Affinity Bridge by George Mann? I keep getting recommendations for it and the other 2 in the series - this is the blurb from Amazon.

"Welcome to the bizarre and dangerous world of Victorian London, a city teetering on the edge of revolution. Its people are ushering in a new era of technology, dazzled each day by new inventions. Airships soar in the skies over the city, whilst ground trains rumble through the streets and clockwork automatons are programmed to carry out menial tasks in the offices of lawyers, policemen and journalists. But beneath this shiny veneer of progress lurks a sinister side. For this is also a world where lycanthropy is a rampant disease that plagues the dirty whorehouses of Whitechapel, where poltergeist infestations create havoc in old country seats, where cadavers can rise from the dead and where nobody ever goes near the Natural History Museum."

I have had this book in my amazon basket for too long I keep umming and ahhing on whether to buy it too as it sounds really good! :)

'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon. I want something to take on holiday with me that will be an enjoyable, but not too taxing, read. I like black comedy and someone has told me that this will do the job. Any of you good folk read it?

Hello, I read this a little while ago and really enjoyed it

I have had this book in my amazon basket for too long I keep umming and ahhing on whether to buy it too as it sounds really good! :D

It does doesn't it? The blurb makes it sound exactly like something that I would love! I think I might just go for it anyway - I'll let you know if it's any good :D