What's Up in October?

Kylie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had any doubts as to whether I was doing the right thing in leaving my current job, then they have definitely been swept aside by a series of meetings that were held yesterday. When I received a letter in the post last week informing me of these meetings, and stating that the District Manager and a woman from Employee Relations were to be there, I knew that it would not be good, and for those who now choose to remain, it most definitely will not be.

They are proposing a range of sweeping changes that will affect as usual everyone it seems except the Managers. Us housekeepers will predictably be among the worst affected. My Line Manager, who has been with this company for 26 years was told 10 minutes before the meeting that she is to be made redundant, and my immediate Manager, the Head Housekeeper was told during the meeting that her own role is to be incorporated into the role of general Housekeeper. The housekeepers who are currently on 40 hour contracts will have their hours cut to 37.5 and the laundry assistant will have her hours cut from 22.5 to 20 per week. In addition to this, the role of laundry assistant as a standalone will become obsolete and also incorporated into the role of Housekeeper. In other words, we will all be expected to do a mix of both laundry and housekeeping. The other thing is that everyone will now be expected to work alternate weekends and varied shifts, which for us housekeepers will cover the hours of 8am to 6pm. At the moment we work either 8-3.30 or 4.30pm. These then are all major changes that will negatively impact on all of us, except of course me who is going anyway. I suspect after this that I won't be the only one !

x

I'm glad you're leaving :hug:! It sounds like a pretty bad place :(. I'm sorry for those who lost their jobs. 

Accidents and breakdowns closed lots of lanes tonight, so my journey home, which normally takes about 25 mins, took me 2 hours and 20 minutes tonight!!!!  But, I'm home safe and sound now, so I guess I shouldn't moan too much.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. I'm glad you made it home allright :hug:

x

Driving to Indiana, Pa on Friday for a two day weekend (approx. 425 miles each way). Will visit with my two nieces and their family. it is always a good time as I love them both.

x

I wish you lots of fun :)!

If I had any doubts as to whether I was doing the right thing in leaving my current job, then they have definitely been swept aside by a series of meetings that were held yesterday. When I received a letter in the post last week informing me of these meetings, and stating that the District Manager and a woman from Employee Relations were to be there, I knew that it would not be good, and for those who now choose to remain, it most definitely will not be.

They are proposing a range of sweeping changes that will affect as usual everyone it seems except the Managers. Us housekeepers will predictably be among the worst affected. My Line Manager, who has been with this company for 26 years was told 10 minutes before the meeting that she is to be made redundant, and my immediate Manager, the Head Housekeeper was told during the meeting that her own role is to be incorporated into the role of general Housekeeper. The housekeepers who are currently on 40 hour contracts will have their hours cut to 37.5 and the laundry assistant will have her hours cut from 22.5 to 20 per week. In addition to this, the role of laundry assistant as a standalone will become obsolete and also incorporated into the role of Housekeeper. In other words, we will all be expected to do a mix of both laundry and housekeeping. The other thing is that everyone will now be expected to work alternate weekends and varied shifts, which for us housekeepers will cover the hours of 8am to 6pm. At the moment we work either 8-3.30 or 4.30pm. These then are all major changes that will negatively impact on all of us, except of course me who is going anyway. I suspect after this that I won't be the only one !   

Good grief!  Glad you are getting out of there! 

Cutting hours to save on salary and insurance, I expect.  Bugger.

Accidents and breakdowns closed lots of lanes tonight, so my journey home, which normally takes about 25 mins, took me 2 hours and 20 minutes tonight!!!!  But, I'm home safe and sound now, so I guess I shouldn't moan too much.

Ouch!  Moaning is ok, and thankfully you are ok enough to do the moaning!  :eek:

Driving to Indiana, Pa on Friday for a two day weekend (approx. 425 miles each way). Will visit with my two nieces and their family. it is always a good time as I love them both.

That's too long a drive in too short a space of days for me, muggle.  Will you split the driving to two days, or in one day?

Will drive up to Indiana, PA on Friday. Planning on a quick stop at an orchard in Virginia to get a half bushel of apples. Probably arrive in Indiana around 3:00pm to 4:00pm on Friday.

Will leave Sunday morning to drive home. The fall foliage should be pretty nice at this time of year.

I'm very annoyed as I forgot to get Halloween sweets in and now I realise I could be sitting here eating them :giggle: .. had no trick or treaters yet and won't be answering the door anyway but what a missed opportunity :weeping: