JK Rowling to Pen Harry Potter Spin-off Films

Raven

I'm actually interested to see how this goes, especially being set somewhere so different from the others. Personally I love the HP universe (although more so in the books than the films), and really hope they're doing this properly rather than just to milk the cash cow.

On a side note . . . I wonder how many characters Warwick Davies will play in this one? :giggle2:

What are your thoughts on J.K. Rowling, Raven?

I'm actually interested to see how this goes, especially being set somewhere so different from the others. Personally I love the HP universe (although more so in the books than the films), and really hope they're doing this properly rather than just to milk the cash cow.

On a side note . . . I wonder how many characters Warwick Davies will play in this one? :giggle2:

:smile: On another side note I like Warwick Davies. He had a show called "Life's too Short" that I loved. Have you ever seen that show Signor?

I think Rowling is a reasonably talented writer who was in the right place at the right time (with the Harry Potter books, obviously).

My comment above was a reference to all the comments that came out about Rowling "only being in it for the money" when she was recently revealed to be writing under the Robert Galbraith pen-name.

For me, Rowling is a fu** genius, her books are the best that I have ever read since I beginning to read, but for me the series is over at the 7th book.

Will I watch those spin-offs? Maybe, but I'll be quite sceptic...

Edited by Many8

I'm not too sure she did all for money, as a lot of people say. I think it's just difficult to turn out the lights on a world in which you've lived for nearly twenty years. Tolkien spent his whole life in the Middle Earth, maybe she's just feeling orphan. What is more she makes teens read and it's enough for me.I don't know if I'll see this movie: I've read the book and I thought it was funny with all the hand-notes written, but it will depends on the movie production.

I agree, Eleonora. I definitely don't think she'd do it for the money. I reckon she's most likely doing it for the fans, who have kept begging for more! And yes, she probably misses the world and characters she created as well.

I read the book - it was sort of like an encyclopaedia, wasn't it? It'll be interesting to see how it gets turned into a movie.

She definitely doesn't need the money, and I would imagine that is pretty low down on the list of reasons for her to even consider the project (if it's even on the list at all).  I think one of the reasons she's interested is that it's a new challenge - she's never written a screenplay before, and to write it about a subject she knows so well, must help.  She's shown the inclination to diversify in each writing job since the end of the Potter series, with her first adult fiction, then the crime novel, so it's another way to broaden her writing.  

It's also a chance to give something more to Potter fans without writing about any of the characters in that world, so it is something new and fresh.  Having said that, I don't have much interest in the film at the moment - as much as I'm enjoying currently listening to the audio books of the Harry Potter series again, I'm happy with that world as it is, but who knows how I'll feel if it does get made.

I've already been flicking through Fantastic Beasts and trying to guess which ones are going to make an appearance in the film . . . Which ones does everyone else want to see?

:smile: On another side note I like Warwick Davies. He had a show called "Life's too Short" that I loved. Have you ever seen that show Signor?

I have, as well as 'An Idiot Abroad 3' with Warwick Davies and Karl Pilkington . . . I love Warwick Davies and thought both shows were hilarious. :D

• 2 years later...