wrathofkublakhan

Just finished three minutes ago:

Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya

Next Five On The Pile:

The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri

The 'person of dubious parentage' by John Jakes

Maximum Ride by James Patterson

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence (July Reading Circle)

For five months I've been a member of this book club forum and I've noticed my choices in books is changing, evolving.

I think I was simply settling with my book choices: easy reads in the mystery genre or simple escapism in the fantasy genre - never wanting to commit too deeply.

Just by following some of the threads I've taken some odd (for me) chances that have been rewarding - Sea Swept, The Secret Garden, Bless Me, Ultima and Anne of Green Gables come to mind as easy examples though there have been many others.

I think now I look for richer fare rather than simple literary distraction though I enjoy a romp in the fields still and forever will. More of my friends are stepping up with suggestions and giftings knowing that I have the interest in expanding my diet.

Kudos and Bravo to the Book Club Forum: for even the games, recipes and movies reveal a core group passionate about the written word and the generosity to share the time and the experience. My golly, I think I'm two IQ points smarter!

Glad to hear you get so much out of it, Wrath - your posts are always looked-forward-to by me - there's always something interesting in them! Like you, since I joined this place I've expanded my reading horizons so much that I can hardly believe I ever read between such narrow margins without realising there was so much more out there to be enjoyed.

I'll be joining you reading Lady Chatterley for the reading circle...

Next Five On The Pile:

Finished Maximum Ride, Lean Mean Thirteen and Dairy Queen in the last four days - not difficult books, all good reads and I'm just tearing through them. It's awesome.

I just finished Dairy Queen. It felt so good to finish it I hopped right up to write about it in this forum. I read it almost in one sitting, short break for dinner, y'know.

It's what they call a "coming of age" story, which I guess means first kiss or first boyfriend; I'm not sure.

This story is about DJ, a sixteen year old girl who's family owns a dairy farm. Her father just hurt his hip, her mom works two jobs and her younger brother is playing little league baseball. This means she....has...to do ...all...of the .... work.

Her father's good friend is the coach of the cross town rival high school football team who sends his star quarterback to her for training - football training which includes haying, milking cows and working out.

Over the summer she learns her best friend is really a lesbian who loves her, her younger brother wants to be a dentist, her mom would really rather be at work and that her father is learning to love being the cook in the house. She also realizes she is falling in love (in a non-harlequin way, tyvm) with the star quarterback of the cross-town rival AND that she wants to play football as well. It's a mess!

And ... it all works out in the end.

Sigh ... what a nice little story.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The book was a rough ride from start to finish. Last night I was on page 260 and I wondered if I could finish it. Finish I did, just moments ago. Like I said, rough ride from start to finish.

Next Five On The Pile:

Dracula by Bram Stoker (Comparative Reading Circle)

Carmilla by J. Sheridan LeFanu (Comparative Reading Circle)

Recently Finished:

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo

Maximum Ride - The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Maximum Ride - School's Out Forever by James Patterson

Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich

The book was a rough ride from start to finish. Last night I was on page 260 and I wondered if I could finish it. Finish I did, just moments ago. Like I said, rough ride from start to finish.

Ah, but did you enjoy it?

Ah, but did you enjoy it?

Fair question.

I'm not sure yet ~ our hero was a self-centered coward who mocked and then stood by while his faithful friend endured some trauma. He lives with his shame his entire life, slowly over three phases does he feel the burden lift; all the while being no more successful at being a good man. Maybe a hint at a redeemed man in the very last paragraph.

There is no denying that it is a powerful book and, perhaps, an important book. But I wonder if we, as readers, would be as forgiving if taken out of the context of the place and time. How many sympathy points are given due to the reality and current horrors existing in that arena right now? This is what I meant by a rough ride ~ it is a story taking place in a very shitty part of the world right now; the closed minds and the prejudices of the Baba and the old times are better than the brutality of Assef and the Taliban. But even so, both worlds pretty much suck. The bitterness of his wife about the dual standards for men and women hit all the harder. So much pride that a General refuses to work and prefers to strut about the flea market making sure that a standard is maintained. Those poor abused little boys....

It's a powerful book and, perhaps, an important book ~ certainly hard to take on an emotional level, painful to read in almost every aspect, terribly sad in a very real sense - I guess ultimately I won't know if I liked it: but I can be glad I read it and proud that I finished it.

I think some books you don't 'enjoy' - rather they have an impact on you by making you think or teaching you something and become memorable and cherished because of that. I think for me that The Kite Runner and Splendid Suns fall into that category as do Zola's novels and quite a few others I've read.

I agree also. I thought about picking this book up in the bookstore the other day, but I just had a feeling it was going to be really heavy, and I wanted something lighter. I know that I will read Kite Runner, but I think I have to be in the right frame of mind. I'm sure you're glad you read it, but you could maybe use a few days to digest and think?

I agree also. I thought about picking this book up in the bookstore the other day, but I just had a feeling it was going to be really heavy, and I wanted something lighter. I know that I will read Kite Runner, but I think I have to be in the right frame of mind. I'm sure you're glad you read it, but you could maybe use a few days to digest and think?

I honestly don't think I'd have ever picked this book up if it hadn't been a 'Bookworms' choice, and I know I wasn't the only skeptical one in the group, but I did enjoy it (even thought the subject matter was sometimes hard to read) and I certainly didn't find it heavy going.

It's the book that's promoted the most discussion within our group and I'm looking forward to Khaled Hosseini's next book coming out in paperback.

Wrath - thanks for explaining your thoughts so well. I guess I did feel a bit bad about enjoying a book written about such terrible events, but at the same time, I found it compelling.

I guess I did feel a bit bad about enjoying a book written about such terrible events, but at the same time, I found it compelling.

I don't think you should feel bad - it's good that people respond differently to books and it was certainly compelling as is Splendid Suns(you won't be disappointed).

Currently in process:

Lady Chatterley's Lover by DH Lawrence (July Reading Circle)(Page 192 of 326)

One of the best, most wonderful, things about joining this forum is that I've learned that it's perfectly alright to add to a book pile before finishing all the books yet to be read. What a feeling of freedom!

I also bought two CDs: Oh Yeah by Charles Mingus and Ballet: Greatest Hits. I've worked a few ballets and I was recently inspired by

Recent Additions to My List a.k.a. "The Pile":

The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner

Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack

Bangkok 8 by John Burdett

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

Next Five On The Pile:

Recently Finished:

I read The Devil Wears Prada earlier this year, and was surprisingly pleased with it. It's a more complex story than the movie. I'll be interested to see what you think about it! Make sure you post a review!:hyper:

I just finished Literacy and Longing in L.A. by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack

This is "a novel" that is set in West L.A., which means valet parking, movie industry people and occasionally book snobs. The story part of the book is about a recently separated woman who is struggling with the decision of divorce, struggling with direction and all those mid-life crisis issues.

The appeal, for me, of this book is that she is a reader. A big time reader, the entire book is shaped around literature, reading, books and bookstores.

Each chapter begins with a quote about reading, the story is laced with anecdotes of Twain, Dorothy Parker, Dr. Seuss and oh-so-many more. It's delightful. We read her take on book clubs, different genres, types of readers and even a break-down of the types of people who work in bookstores.

For anyone who's taken refuge in a book, picked an author to reflect one's mood or joined a book club forum: this is a fine little story.

Currently in process:

Next On The Pile:

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri

Recently Finished:

Finished three minutes ago:

This was a fun little book. It's about a 15 year old girl who is trained in the sword and taken away from the life of parties, gowns, gossip and dating.

The book was unusual (for me) because of the drug use, overt sexual situations and plenty of gay sex ~ on many levels it was quite refreshing to have them part of a book without it being an issue, just a part of regular life.

I love stories that have theater in them, I love sword-fights with honor and I love coming-of-age stories. This one had it all.

Next On The Pile:

Recently Finished:

What a fabulous book!

I fear my response to it must be emotional as well as critical, I'd imagine this is true for anyone who's read this book.

Honestly, I bought the book because I'd recently seen the flick on HBO. After years of me declaring that not only do Anne Hathaway's supporting cast support her, they carry her! If you can have Julie Andrews and Hector Elizondo (the Princess Diaries) and Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci (DWP), then you simply can't miss. I have to say tho: Anne did a wonderful job (and, girlfriend, she was working those bangs!).

I had a lot of sympathy for Andy. I remember missing my first Christmas with my folks because of a show. After 30 years working as a stagehand and a sometime designer in the theater, I've missed more New Years Parties, Christmas with the folks, Thanksgivings, Easter than I care to think about. The number of people in my social circle who are married are only the one's who both work in this crazy business we call show. My first feature film (I worked in the Art Department) was much like Andy's baptism into the fashion world - non-stop, do or die, insane money, poor pay, perks beyond belief. My experience was certainly not at the scale of Andy's but close enough for me to see what was going on in her life.

I'm sure it is counter to most readers, but I felt Andy's friends just didn't understand nor did they care to understand what was being accomplished. Alex with his "do the right thing" can stuff it up his ... syllabus. Guilt trips don't cut it, I don't buy it. My dad could be in the hospital and he'd rather me working on my show, in fact, he'd be less than pleased if I dropped everything to tend to him.

There are people in the world who are trying to do something bigger than making wages. Be it theater, fashion, sports, politics, health-care, the list can just go on and on - one's personal life does fall to the way-side, even if it's just for the length of time you can sustain your passion.

Even out of context, the Bard explains it all with: the play's the thing.

I was very glad for Andy to tell Miranda to "fudge off" in full view of the important fashion event.

I felt sorry for Andy that she spent a year in servitude to a bitch and never really understood the motives for the big picture - what a horrible reason to work on any job: the promise of a good recommendation.

I never once felt any guilt on Andy's part for Lilly's problems.

I was glad to see Andy write for Seventeen magazine - exactly the level of work she should be producing.

Very good book. It took me about 80 pages to get really into it, the movie tainted me a little bit.

It was strong enough that I felt myself reconsidering my own choices in attire and presentation.

I would happily recommend it to anyone on the condition that we'd talk about it once it had been finished.

I also really loved this book, in fact, more than I loved the movie! I also felt that Andy's friends were a bit too hard on her, and that they were not being fair in their refusal to take her job seriously. I'm so glad you liked this book! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A beautifully written book.

It is also a very dense book that took me just over a week to read, I'd read a few pages or chapters and then put it down - very weighty stuff.

It is a murder mystery that takes place in Bangkok with our hero being the only incorruptible cop who is also a Buddhist. It is such a different culture it would be hard not to bear my own judgment on prostitution, drug use and drug selling, killing, sex-changes, the black market and on and on. However our hero loves his country and his people and just how different the mind-set is of the East.

It is illogical, magical, honest, full of love -- and simply beautiful.

Next On The Pile:

Letters From The Earth by Mark Twain

New York Dead by Stuart Woods

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Recently Finished: