The Perks of Being a Wallflower -Stephen Chbosky
Alice in Wonderland- Lewis Carroll
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde- Robert Louis Stevenson
Catch-22-Joseph Heller
The Crucible-Arthur Miller
The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck
A Game of Thrones Martin
Looking for Alaska - John Green

A lot of Dickens in my near future . I'm trying to read a lot of classics this year because it's astonishing how many I haven't read. A couple "teenage" books are thrown in.

Any new books I buy will be added to this list then.

Edited by BSchultz19

Some great reads on your shelves BSchultz! Especially these ones:

Les Miserables-Victor Hugo

Life of Pi- Yann Martel

Hamlet- Shakespeare

A Midsummer Night's Dream- Shakespeare

Catch-22-Joseph Heller 

I listened to Jekyll and Hyde on audio not long a ago. It's a great little story - and quite a quick light read. I also loved Catch-22 - one of my all-time favourites.

These two I want to read some day too so I'd be interested in your thoughts - particularly The Iliad.

The Iliad - Homer

Othello -Shakespeare

Happy reading!

Another vote for Catch 22, it's a really clever book. I have a few of your books on my TBR pile as well Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter & Nicholas Nickelby. I read Bleak House earlier this year & really enjoyed it so i plan to read another Dickens later on in the year. I'm reading Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde with my youngest son at the moment it's a graphic novel for younger children but the story seems to suit that kind of book quite well  :smile:

Happy Reading  :readingtwo:

I love that list.  Quite a few have been six star reads (my absolute favourites!), including:

Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility (one of my top 3 all-time), Emma, Persuasion (you can see I'm an Austen fan!), David Copperfield (although it took two or three attempts to get going, so don't get put off. Bleak House is my favourite of his), Jane Eyre, Moby Dick, with others close behind. 

On the Shakespeare material, I don't know if you've seen them before, but I've found he's definitely better being seen and then read later (I did Hamlet and Othello for A-level, loving the former and hating the latter!).  I'm currently slowly making my way through Don Quixote on audio - enjoying it.

BTW, Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Bronte, not Emily (but I'd really recommend the one she did write, Wuthering Heights, which I've just reread and loved).

Edited by willoyd

Some great reads on your shelves BSchultz! Especially these ones:

I listened to Jekyll and Hyde on audio not long a ago. It's a great little story - and quite a quick light read. I also loved Catch-22 - one of my all-time favourites.

These two I want to read some day too so I'd be interested in your thoughts - particularly The Iliad.

Happy reading!

I read The Odyssey in school and really liked it which made me want to read the Iliad which comes first. I haven't gotten to it yet though. I'll definitely post my thoughts on it. :)

Another vote for Catch 22, it's a really clever book. I have a few of your books on my TBR pile as well Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter & Nicholas Nickelby. I read Bleak House earlier this year & really enjoyed it so i plan to read another Dickens later on in the year. I'm reading Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde with my youngest son at the moment it's a graphic novel for younger children but the story seems to suit that kind of book quite well  :smile:

Happy Reading  :readingtwo:

I've read Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities this year and really liked them so I have a lot more Dickens I want to read. 

I love that list.  Quite a few have been six star reads (my absolute favourites!), including:

Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility (one of my top 3 all-time), Emma, Persuasion (you can see I'm an Austen fan!), David Copperfield (although it took two or three attempts to get going, so don't get put off. Bleak House is my favourite of his), Jane Eyre, Moby Dick, with others close behind. 

On the Shakespeare material, I don't know if you've seen them before, but I've found he's definitely better being seen and then read later (I did Hamlet and Othello for A-level, loving the former and hating the latter!).  I'm currently slowly making my way through Don Quixote on audio - enjoying it.

BTW, Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Bronte, not Emily (but I'd really recommend the one she did write, Wuthering Heights, which I've just reread and loved).

It's funny that you should say that about the four Austen novels since I just bought all of them and they're in the same volume together. (It is a HUGE book) :D

I've seen a couple Shakespeare plays. Spark Notes has that no fear Shakespeare thing where it's the words of Shakespeare and then modernized right next to it so when something isn't quite making sense that's where I go :)

That's an honest mistake. I knew it was a Bronte sister and was going from memory since most of my books are packed for me to go to school soon. Wuthering Heights is on my wishlist. 

What a great TBR list, Schultz! :) A lot of classics! I was planning on tackling a few of those myself this year, for the same reason as you (so many still to be read!), but so far I've only read two... :blush: I'll be following your progress, stalking and hoping to feed off on your inspiration and motivation... :giggle::D I hope you have a happy reading year!

These are the ones I own if I'm correct (if read, comments between brackets):

The Best of Me- Nicholas Sparks

Les Miserables-Victor Hugo

The Scarlet Letter-Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pride & Prejudice-Jane Austen

Paper Towns-John Green

The Fault in our Stars-John Green (I'm currently reading this one)

Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen

Emma- Jane Austen

Persuasion Jane Austen

A Walk to Remember- Nicholas Sparks

The Lucky One- Nicholas Sparks (really liked this one)

David Copperfield- Charles Dickens

Hard Times- Charles Dickens

Life of Pi- Yann Martel 

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte (loved this one)

Don Quixote- Cervantes

The Iliad - Homer

Hamlet- Shakespeare

Great Expectations- Charles Dickens

Moby Dick- Herman Melville 

Northanger Abbey- Jane Austen

Othello -Shakespeare

Our Mutual Friend- Charles Dickens

This Side of Paradise- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nicholas  Nickleby- Charles Dickens

A Midsummer Night's Dream- Shakespeare

The Beautiful and Damned- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Little Dorrit- Charles Dickens

The Perks of Being a Wallflower -Stephen Chbosky (I thought this one was allright, nice but not worth the hype)

In short, a lot of good reading ahead of you. Happy Reading :)!

• 4 weeks later...

I keep buying or checking out more books without even finishing the one I'm reading. It's a serious problem!

I now have 

Barnaby Rudge by Dickens

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

and a big volume of Sherlock Holmes novels and stories. 

• 3 weeks later...

That's a marvellous TBR list you've got BShultz!

Life of Pi and Persuasion are in the top five of best ever reads, for me.

And I am another of the many, who buy more books than I read. But when you find a book that you have looked for so long, then you find them in a second hand bookshop for a few pounds, the thrill is wonderful!

Happy reading :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been spending the past four weeks reading Nicholas Nickleby for my composition class and I am almost done. It has pretty much soaked up all my reading time. Hopefully I can start making a dent on my TBR once I finish the book this weekend. 

It's a good list Schultz!  A constant diet of classics can get heavy though. When I am on a project like  that I like to break it up it with something totally trashy but readable and quick like the Stephanie Plum series http://www.evanovich.com/novels/plum-series/

Thank you! I've been looking for some in between books for in between classics. I love reading classics but if I read too many in a row it makes me not want to read because it becomes like a task. 

I think having an easy read in between helps keep the reading mojo going. Thank you for the recommendation I will definitely check that series out. Right now my in betweeners have been Nicholas Sparks books, but I have pretty much read them all and the more I read the more I realize they are all pretty darn similar. 

DickensNicholasNickleby.jpg

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

I read this book for class, but it was a choice which book we wanted to read. To keep with my Dickens theme of my TBR, I chose Nicholas Nickleby. This review isn't going to be very long because I had to write four annotated bibliographies on the book and I'm a little tired of writing and rewriting summaries of the plot. I enjoyed reading it a lot, but it was a ton of reading to cram into four short weeks. I'd definitely recommend it because the plot is great. Of course, the descriptions are amazing because it is Dickens. 

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it :). I have most books by Dickens on my shelf (I think?), I've yet to read any as classics intimidate me. I'm hearing good things about Dickens though so when I'm in the mood for it I' might pick up Oliver Twist, because it's not so big and because I know the story of it a bit. You've written a lot of stuff about the book! Did you have to analyse it for themes etc?

Happy Birthday! I didn't know yours was on the same day as mine! I hope you had a good day :).

Well happy belated birthday to you! :)

Happy Birthday a little late !

Glad you enjoyed the Dickens . It's hard to go wrong with him . I have yet to find one that I don't like .

Thank you :D I agree, there is not one that I haven't liked. There are sometimes I want to scream at him to stop being so wordy about useless things, but overall I love his writing.