Cars

Tobi

I have not seen a thread about cars around here, so I thought I start one, since cars are one of my favourite topics to talk about (books and football are one the same level ;) ).

Here some topics I can imagine are interesting to talk about:

What is your dream car? What car do you drive at the moment? Do you like it? What are the "must-have's" in your car (AC, automatic gear, ...)? Do you buy a car because it is practical, for the looks or for other reasons? What is your favourite car manufacturer?

--

My dream car is the BMW 507, built from 1956-1959. I've never driven one, which could be related to the current price of around 1 million euros, but in my opinion it is the best looking car ever built. Just gorgeous & romantic. Here's a picture of the one located in the BMW Museum in Munich.

800px-BMW507.jpg

--

At the moment I do not own a car, because it is much easier and cheaper to get to my university with public transport, but from time to time I borrow the car from my mother. It's a Volkswagen Polo Cross and I really hate how it feels to drive. Can't really say why, it's just feels to smooth for such a small car. And it looks to girly for my taste.. orange is just the wrong colour for this car. Nevertheless I am grateful to be allowed to drive it at all.

320px-Volkswagen_Cross_Polo_orange_vl.jp

Prior to that I drove a red Volkswagen Polo Open Air, until somebody crashed into my back, which resulted in total loss and a lifetime fear of cars driving much to close behind me. Luckily I got physically unharmed out of it (it wasn't at a very high speed, around 60-70 km/h), but I still miss my old car, too many fond memories...

Polo6NModelle_OpenAir.JPG

--

"Must Have's" for me in a car are manual gear (automatic is for old people and Americans ;) ) and AC. "Nice to have's" are a navigation system, a decent audio system and of course all those expansive luxury options like leather or xenon headlights. 

I think, if I buy my first self paid car (the red Polo was my mother's old one), I'm going to be a little bit irrational and go for the looks and feels of it, because a car is more than a car for me.. somewhat like freedom and self expression. And if I am able to afford it, it will be a BMW. Most likely not the 507 for obvious reasons, but maybe the current 1 series.

Anyone as emotional as I am about cars or are all book lovers practical when it comes to cars?

I don't own any car myself, my parents drive a Renault Kangoo:

renault-kangoo-02.jpg

(but then in silverish colour)

and a Renault Twingo:

Renault_Twingo.jpg

(but in a bordeaux reddish purple colour)

I drive one of these two cars when I'm borrowing one of their cars. Soon we will have a Tesla S, an electric car:

img_2210.jpg

which my dad especially is really looking forward to. For me the most important thing is that the car drives nicely. If it's a petrol car then I'd also want a manual gear box with stick and air conditioning. I should be able to get in and out of the car easily and be able to reach the pedals (I'm not very tall). When I was younger we used to have a Renault Espace, so I really like that car, it has fond memories for me. I can't seem to post any more than three pictures so these three will have to do (sorry for the largeness of the pictures).

My boyfriend really likes the Shelby Mustang GT 350 1965.

There are a lot of nice cars out there (your BMW looks quite nice), and also some ugly ones :P. Overall driver's comfort is the most important thing to me, I haven't driven a lot of different cars though so it's hard to say which is my all time favourite car or which one I'd buy if I had lots of money. I find a car should be practical but also nice to drive and nice to look at.

I love the look of the Tesla, sometimes I see one gliding around before my university and I stop to stare at it as long as I can. Environmental friendly and nice to look at. I envy your dad for that car and what would I give to get a test drive in one of these, but I don't think they would give a 20-year-old one at the Tesla dealership here in Frankfurt ;).

Oh, and my mum used to drive a Twingo in the exact same colour, like the one on the picture you posted, but the axis broke while driving to fast over a railway crossing.

Edited by Tobi

Dream car would definitely be a classic one - this is probably my favourite:

280px-1950_Jaguar_XK120_34.jpg

The Jaguar XK120.  I've only ever seen one in real life, but it was in immaculate condition, and looked absolutely amazing.

Most of my favourites would be from the 40s, 50s and 60s, and most of the Jags from that era are all fabulous - an E-Type would find a very happy home with me! :D.  Being a Bond fan, I love the Aston Martin DB5, and from more contemporary Bond films, the V12 Vanquish and the DBS too (although that may be influenced by having Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig behind the steering wheel ;)).

I've got a soft spot for TVRs, particularly the Chimera and the Cerbera

I currently drive a poxy little 1.0L Toyota Yaris. It's too small for anything (dog, shopping, etc) but it's cheap and reliable.

My dream cars are pretty tame, considering I'm not really a 'car person'. It would be either a 3 door Suzuki Grand Vitara, or a VW Sirocco.

My dream car is one that I can afford ! I have owned just 2 in my lifetime - my first car was a Renault Clio, which kept breaking down, and my second car is the one I still have - a Nissan Micra which I bought new in September 2002. A lot of things are now starting to go wrong with it sadly, as I do love that car, but a new version is coming out in September. Since there is always a crossover point when both types are being manufactured, at some point the brand new older style cars will really come down in price, and I am hoping I may be able to get a real bargain.

Dream Car - Nissan GTR

ge-Nissan-GTR.jpg

I've loved the Skyline range for years and this has carried on the standard albeit with a different name.

Current Car - Nissan Qashqai

nissan-qashqai.jpg

Really economical to own and drive and I get loads in the boot. It's probably the slowest car I've ever owned, I wish fuel costs were a lot lower.

Favourite Car Owned - Mazda MX5

4063877.jpg

Mine was in black and I loved it to pieces. Massively impractical and when I injured my back I just has to sell it as driving it for more than 15 minutes had me in agony.

I have not seen a thread about cars around here, so I thought I start one, since cars are one of my favourite topics to talk about (books and football are one the same level ;) ).

What is your dream car? What car do you drive at the moment? Do you like it? What are the "must-have's" in your car (AC, automatic gear, ...)? Do you buy a car because it is practical, for the looks or for other reasons? What is your favourite car manufacturer?

--

My dream car is the BMW 507, built from 1956-1959. I've never driven one, which could be related to the current price of around 1 million euros, but in my opinion it is the best looking car ever built. Just gorgeous & romantic. Here's a picture of the one located in the BMW Museum in Munich.

800px-BMW507.jpg

--

At the moment I do not own a car, because it is much easier and cheaper to get to my university with public transport, but from time to time I borrow the car from my mother. It's a Volkswagen Polo Cross and I really hate how it feels to drive. Can't really say why, it's just feels to smooth for such a small car. And it looks to girly for my taste.. orange is just the wrong colour for this car. Nevertheless I am grateful to be allowed to drive it at all.

320px-Volkswagen_Cross_Polo_orange_vl.jp

Prior to that I drove a red Volkswagen Polo Open Air, until somebody crashed into my back, which resulted in total loss and a lifetime fear of cars driving much to close behind me. Luckily I got physically unharmed out of it (it wasn't at a very high speed, around 60-70 km/h), but I still miss my old car, too many fond memories...

Polo6NModelle_OpenAir.JPG

--

"Must Have's" for me in a car are manual gear (automatic is for old people and Americans ;) ) and AC. "Nice to have's" are a navigation system, a decent audio system and of course all those expansive luxury options like leather or xenon headlights. 

I think, if I buy my first self paid car (the red Polo was my mother's old one), I'm going to be a little bit irrational and go for the looks and feels of it, because a car is more than a car for me.. somewhat like freedom and self expression. And if I am able to afford it, it will be a BMW. Most likely not the 507 for obvious reasons, but maybe the current 1 series.

Anyone as emotional as I am about cars or are all book lovers practical when it comes to cars?

The BMW is gorgeous. :)

It doesn't pay to make assumptions regarding Americans and their driving habits/preferences.  It so unattractive, and inaccurate.

I am old and an American :). If you ever get a chance to visit the U.S., please contact me and I will give you lessons in driving. :)

Current cars we own. The Audi Sports coupe is primarily driven by my wife. The BMW 528 is primarily driven by me. The racing car has a Pratt & Miller chassis and a CRD engine. We raced in the Trans Am Road Racing Series at some of the best tracks in the world. The photo was taken at Road America.

Brian - the GTR is a nice car.

Edited by muggle not

Sometimes the cars or even the manufacturers names are changed when the cross the Atlantic and occasionally even between European countries. For example the Mazda MX5 is called the Mazda Miata in the USA as far as I know. Vauxhall in the UK is called Opel in Europe. There does seem to be a lot of car made in the USA that don't get sold in Europe and vice versa. I quiet like Acura cars but only recently have they been available in the UK without having to import them.

Sometimes the cars or even the manufacturers names are changed when the cross the Atlantic and occasionally even between European countries. For example the Mazda MX5 is called the Mazda Miata in the USA as far as I know. Vauxhall in the UK is called Opel in Europe. There does seem to be a lot of car made in the USA that don't get sold in Europe and vice versa. I quiet like Acura cars but only recently have they been available in the UK without having to import them.

I also liked the Acura cars. I owned a 2000 TL, a 2004 TL, and a 2010 TL. I really liked the 2000 and 2004 but did not like the 2010 at all and kept it less than 12 months. It seemed like you were driving and riding in a tank. I sold the 2010 TL and bought the BMW 528.

Athena, I really like the Tesla S and have been thinking about it. The other new car that I like is the Jaquar F model. I am waiting for the Coupe to be released, soon I hope. I would love to own both of them.

My favorite car of all time though is the 1955 Thunderbird. One of these days I am going to talk my wife into letting me buy one. The attached photo is actually the one I want.

Edited by muggle not

I drive a 1986 Honda Prelude, which still goes well and suits me just fine. My favourite car that I've owned was a 1955 Austin A30 (like Wallace and Gromit's only theirs was a van) She was purple and I named her Agapanthus. She had no hand-brake for a long time and questionable foot brakes. Going on any journey was always an adventure, you were bound to break down somewhere along the way.post-3715-0-10313400-1375225147_thumb.jpg

What I'd really like to own is an old MG. Either of these would do :D

post-3715-0-05668000-1375225275_thumb.jpgpost-3715-0-64157200-1375225276_thumb.jpg

Cars I've owned, I owned a classic mini, but hadn't passed

my test so never drove it. I owned an L reg astra 1.4, which I got upto 120 on the m/way. Between these I drove a Nova 1.0 which on a good day could reach 100 and slow back down between the Manor Way Island and the Island by the Foxhunt pub, which is now a H in halesowen. App 1 mile.

Up until I skidded my Nova out of the And Now It's A Good Night From Him Tunnel, there wasn't an island before the Main Kiddirminster one at junction 3. Out the tunnel lane 2, damp patch and down tbe grass verge, Exciting wasn't the word.

Edited by dex

I also liked the Acura cars. I owned a 2000 TL, a 2004 TL, and a 2010 TL. I really liked the 2000 and 2004 but did not like the 2010 at all and kept it less than 12 months. It seemed like you were driving and riding in a tank. I sold the 2010 TL and bought the BMW 528.

Athena, I really like the Tesla S and have been thinking about it. The other new car that I like is the Jaquar F model. I am waiting for the Coupe to be released, soon I hope. I would love to own both of them.

My favorite car of all time though is the 1955 Thunderbird. One of these days I am going to talk my wife into letting me buy one. The attached photo is actually the one I want.

That Thunderbird is gorgeous :yes:

That Thunderbird is gorgeous :yes:

Brian - Thanks, The T-Bird is probably my favorite car of all time but the 1953 Corvette is a close second - see attached photo.

Chesilbeach - The Vintage Jaquar are beautiful cars. Yes, it would be nice to own one. :)

Poppy - The Classic MG are also nice cars to drive, especially on a mountain road. The TR6 was also a very nice car. The only problem with the MG and TR6 was that you always needed a toolbox in your trunk as it was certain that you would need it. :)

The BMW is gorgeous. :)

It doesn't pay to make assumptions regarding Americans and their driving habits/preferences.  It so unattractive, and inaccurate.

Sorry, it was meant as a joke. All Americans I know personally (exactly one) are decent drivers. And he even owns a Ford Mustang with a manual gearbox. It isn't my place to judge the way Americans drive their cars, but sometimes the European in me wants to make a joke at the expense of the US and their inhabitants. ;)

I am old and an American :). If you ever get a chance to visit the U.S., please contact me and I will give you lessons in driving. :)

Current cars we own. The Audi Sports coupe is primarily driven by my wife. The BMW 528 is primarily driven by me. The racing car has a Pratt & Miller chassis and a CRD engine. We raced in the Trans Am Road Racing Series at some of the best tracks in the world. The photo was taken at Road America.

Brian - the GTR is a nice car.

If the driving lessons are given in the BMW or even the racing car, I will gladly accept that offer :D

So many nice pictures in this thread :)!

@ Tesla S

I'm glad to hear the comments :).

I really like the Tesla. However, I would rather have owned stock in Tesla 52 weeks ago and still own it. 52 weeks ago the stock was $26  a share , today it is going for $153 a share. Quite an increase in value. An investment of $50,000 would be worth $294,230 today. Quite a gain in 52 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I drive a Fiesta (12) years old because it suits my financial needs and is economical. When I when the lottery i will have an Aston Martin DB9, 1967 Mustang in red and a whole bunch of other cars just because I can. I value my driving licence above every other posession lol

• 3 weeks later...

So.. the Tesla S has arrived! I've been for a drive earlier, sitting in the passenger seat and in the back seat. The seats are quite comfortable. The car looks amazing, I love the dark reddish colour. There is plenty of boot space, front and back. The car is fast (0-100 km/h (or 60 mph) in 4.0s IIRC, in fact I prefer we don't accelerate too fast XD) and quite quiet (I love that!). The dashboard screen is very clear and has a lot of technological features. We have the Signature Edition and also the P85+ package (which means we have a slightly better engine and more range).

Here are some of the features I remember:

- The front seats can be adjusted electronically in several different ways and can also be heated

- You can adjust where the sound is coming from

- You can phone wireless by connecting your phone with Bluetooth

- You can navigate somewhere (sat nav)

- You can open and close the roof electronically

- You can listen to the radio or internet radio using 3G (free for the first year, I'm not sure what happens after that tbh), the display will tell you which song is playing. I don't listen to much music but my parents might like this. You can also listen to media from your phone (if connected with Bluetooth) or you can plug in a USB-stick.

- You can browse the internet using 3G

- The car has a camera at the back so you can see what's behind you

- And more, my dad showed me a lot of things but I don't remember them all!

So.. the Tesla S has arrived! I've been for a drive earlier, sitting in the passenger seat and in the back seat. The seats are quite comfortable. The car looks amazing, I love the dark reddish colour. There is plenty of boot space, front and back. The car is fast (0-100 km/h (or 60 mph) in 4.0s IIRC, in fact I prefer we don't accelerate too fast XD) and quite quiet (I love that!). The dashboard screen is very clear and has a lot of technological features. We have the Signature Edition and also the P85+ package (which means we have a slightly better engine and more range).

Here are some of the features I remember:

- The front seats can be adjusted electronically in several different ways and can also be heated

- You can adjust where the sound is coming from

- You can phone wireless by connecting your phone with Bluetooth

- You can navigate somewhere (sat nav)

- You can open and close the roof electronically

- You can listen to the radio or internet radio using 3G (free for the first year, I'm not sure what happens after that tbh), the display will tell you which song is playing. I don't listen to much music but my parents might like this. You can also listen to media from your phone (if connected with Bluetooth) or you can plug in a USB-stick.

- You can browse the internet using 3G

- The car has a camera at the back so you can see what's behind you

- And more, my dad showed me a lot of things but I don't remember them all!

Wow Athena, I am so envious. Both of my cars have most of the features that you have mentioned but they are a far cry from competing with the Tesla. I am sure your parents will enjoy the Tesla. I cannot think of any car I would rather own over the Tesla.......btw, do you mean Satellite Radio instead of Internet Radio. Each of my cars have Satellite Radio and I would find it difficult to give up now that I am used to it. It has commercial free music of any type you want to listen to plus all other kinds of programming. I was in the car driving for 8 hours today and listened the whole time to the first decade of Rock N Roll.

I'm glad to hear you like the Tesla. I don't know what kind of radio it is to be honest, I know it uses 3G and then you can select certain radio stations, maybe you're right and it is satellite radio. Due to my disability I don't listen to the radio, but the rest of my family likes it a lot.

Here's a photo of the car (my dad took this photo):

img_2846_0.50.jpg