Author Robert Galbraith revealed as J K Rowling

Janet

The Sunday Times has uncovered the fact that Robert Galbraith, who wrote The Cuckoo's Calling - is actually J K Rowling.  She wanted to write a book that sold for its story rather than her reputation - and good for her, I say.  At the time of posting, the book has 20 5* reviews and one 4* review on Amazon (only a few written since the story broke).  

I've done a quick search on here and it appears nobody has read it - and it's not listed on anyone's wish list/to read pile.   I imagine sales will rocket now this has been revealed, but good on her.  :)

She'd always said she planned to do this - I remember her talking about it in an interview. It's a bit of a shame that the she had to be "outed" though. Would have been nice to see what the sales were like after the paperback was published, although the volume of hardbacks sold is quite impressive with no author promotion.

I'm impressed that the secret lasted three months, although I wish it could have lasted longer. I remember Rowling saying that she wanted to do this (and I remember us discussing here whether she could get away with it), but I figured perhaps she had changed her mind or realised it couldn't be done after A Casual Vacancy was released. It certainly seems that she threw us off the scent by releasing this book so soon after ACV. Good on her!

I just checked Goodreads and it has 88 ratings at an average of 4.02, which is a reasonably impressive score. No reviews have been written there since Rowling was outed. I'll be very interested to see how quickly it starts selling now.

I had not even heard of the book.  Just looked it up on Amazon/U.S. and the synopsis is certainly interesting.  But here is a quote from the "About the Author"... lol

About the Author
After several years with the Royal Military
Police, Robert Galbraith was attached to the SIB (Special Investigative
Branch), the plain-clothes branch of the RMP. He left the military in 2003 and
has been working since then in the civilian security industry. The idea for
Cormoran Strike grew directly out of his own experiences and those of his
military friends who returned to the civilian world. 'Robert Galbraith' is a
pseudonym.

BOLDING IS MINE........

Thanks for posting Janet. :)  I need more books! :roll:

She always said she intended to do it .. like Claire I think it's a shame that The Sunday Times revealed it so early but nice to see that it was already doing well on its own merit. Crime is not necessarily my thing but I'll definitely give it a go .. unless it's gory .. has anyone said it's particularly gory? :blush2: 

It's going to sell like hotcakes now .. I bet Waterstone's are shovelling the rest of the books out of their window display as we speak :D 

I was reading those last night - it won't affect someone like JKR (in whatever guise she's using) but it annoys me when people who haven't read the book/tried the product review it.  It's just sour grapes.  :negative:

I checked my local library to see if they have any copies, and they didn't, and I sent a request that they order copies. (Ever since Joensuu got a whole new website, the library's site's a bit different now and the request for a book -section is also different and I could actually place a reservation for the book when it arrives at the same time :exc:  Meaning, if they decide to order the book (and why wouldn't they, it's J. K. Rowling after all...), I should be the first one in line :D)

I was reading those last night - it won't affect someone like JKR (in whatever guise she's using) but it annoys me when people who haven't read the book/tried the product review it.  It's just sour grapes.  :negative:

Oh me too .. drives me .. further ;) ... up the wall. Also the people that rate a film one star because the DVD turned up faulty etc :banghead: 

Yay!! frankie .. you go to the head of that queue girl :yahoo: 

Amazon really need to employ some people to police their reviews (or more if they already do).  Genuine one star reviews are fine, but people sounding off - especially when they start "I haven't read the book and don't intend to" should just be deleted.

I've never read a jkr book, so I might have check this one out. I hadn't heard of this book till now.

Yay!! frankie .. you go to the head of that queue girl :yahoo: 

That's great news, frankie :)!

Thanks gals :lol: Wohoo, I just checked the library website and now they've already ordered a copy of the book and now they're just waiting for its arrival, and I'm the first one in line to get it (and so far the only one, as well) :exc:

I have no qualms about authors releasing under a pseudonym, and I have nothing against J.K Rowling but call me a cynic, I find it a bit suspicious that before the book had only sold 1,500 copies when it was 'accidentally' released that it was her.

I just hope people can look past things like that and judge the book by its own merit.