Your Book Activity - July 2013

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Who Runs Britain last night so I can return it to the owner tomorrow morning. I'm just under half way through The New Moscow Philosophy and it's slow going.

My plans to turn my living room into a study are continuing apace; fourth bookshelf assembled last night and I have three new desks on the way from Argos.  Guess I know how I'll be spedning my weekend . . .

I've finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry now, and I've treated myself to the next book in the Phryne Fisher series, Death At Victoria Dock which I thought would be a good one for the read-a-thon this weekend. :smile2:

I have to finish The Ingredients of Love today, otherwise I might abandon the book and throw it across the room :rolleyes:

Oh dear. :( (But I'm looking forward to the review!)

My plans to turn my living room into a study are continuing apace; fourth bookshelf assembled last night and I have three new desks on the way from Argos.  Guess I know how I'll be spedning my weekend . . .

I'm so proud of you. :D

I've finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry now, and I've treated myself to the next book in the Phryne Fisher series, Death At Victoria Dock which I thought would be a good one for the read-a-thon this weekend. :smile2:

My reading has stalled nearly halfway through the first Phryne Fisher, but I'm planning to finish it during the readathon. :)

Just finished Unseen by Karin Slaughter.  She writes really suspenseful police thrillers.

Next up is Steve Hamilton's Let It Burn.  An Alex McKnight mystery set in Paradise, Michigan on Lake Superior.  Steve Hamilton is a good writer, have read several of his Alex McKnight series.

There's a Daniel Silva book to be released in July, The English Girl, looks like it might be interesting.  Always so many new releases,  looks like my Visa will take a beating this month. :blush2:

Edited by mrsmac

I´m right in the middle of The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale. It was a tip from a friend, and so far it´s good enough. But I don´t think I will be as enthused by it, as she was.

And then I finally started A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. I´m on page 200 something, and it´s hard to put it down. :jump:

My library will be closed the whole July for summer holiday :banghead:  so this morning I took as many books I could:

Stieg Larsson trilogy, Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen, The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey, and a french contemporary book written by Laurence Cossè.

I'll be a bit busy for a while.. :readingtwo:

My library will be closed the whole July for summer holiday :banghead:  so this morning I took as many books I could:

Stieg Larsson trilogy, Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen, The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey, and a french contemporary book written by Laurence Cossè.

x

Sorry to hear your library will be closed.

On the other hand, most of the books you borrowed are on my TBR, I look forward to hear what you think of them :).

Stieg Larssons books are waiting for me too. The Snow Child was a great choice, I really enjoyed it.

Had a book waiting for me after the hols.

'The Returned' by Jason Mott. It was offered by a bookcrosser via Goodreads and I took her up on it.

I also won a giveaway on Goodreads too, which was a total surprise as I forgot I had entered. :smile:

'Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes

Finally read Of Mice and Men.  I really enjoyed it, but it was quite short.  Also tried to read Catcher in the Rye but I couldn't get into that, so I've given up.  I'm currently reading New York by Edward Rutherfurd.

I loved the Larsson trilogy, and husband liked The Snow Child...I haven't read that one yet though.

Finally read Of Mice and Men.  I really enjoyed it, but it was quite short.  Also tried to read Catcher in the Rye but I couldn't get into that, so I've given up.  I'm currently reading New York by Edward Rutherfurd.

I read Catcher, but didn't much care for it.

Whoops, forgot to add....

I've started The Fall of the House of Dixie by Bruce Levine.....a history of the South (U.S.) after the Civil War.  Or, as we Southerners prefer to call it, the Northern War of Aggression....... :P

And...The White Queen by Philippa Gregory, first in the trilogy.

Edited by pontalba

Eleanora, The Snow Child was a beautiful book, I felt like I was in the frozen North when I read it.. :)

I have about a quarter of 'Tell The Wolves I'm Home' to go, it's all written from the perspective of a 14 year old girl and written in the time when AIDS was first becoming a big issue in the US, and her friendship with her deceased (due to AIDS) uncles friend. In parts lovely and funny but a little disturbing and I'm really not sure how it will end..

I was glad to finish The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce, and am now wading through Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco for my World Challenge.

It seems rather unnecessarily complicated at times - as if just for the sake of it! But I'm about 2/3s through now.

That's great to hear! I bought the Wool omnibus (1-5) on the Kindle when it was on sale.

I had no idea it was part of a series Athena but if they're all as good as the first one i shall be adding them to my wishlist  :D

I finished Wool this morning over breakfast & have decided to read House Of Orphans by Helen Dunmore next.

Just finished 'Tell The Wolves I'm Home' by Carol Rifka Brunt, easily a 4.5/5 if not more, I need to see how I feel about it after a little time goes by..

Quite a coming of age story, all about how young people can live their lives very individually, not actually realising others may be affected in ways completely unknown to them.. The blurb on the book doesnt do it justice at all.

Just finished 'Tell The Wolves I'm Home' by Carol Rifka Brunt, easily a 4.5/5 if not more, I need to see how I feel about it after a little time goes by..

Quite a coming of age story, all about how young people can live their lives very individually, not actually realising others may be affected in ways completely unknown to them.. The blurb on the book doesnt do it justice at all.