Your Book Activity - July 2013

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Nick Hornby - The Complete Polysyllabic Spree. According to GoodReads this is part one in the series, however on Wikipedia it lists The Polysyllabic Spree going upto 2004, whereas my Complete goes until 2006. Is it all the books in the series, or the first two or something, does anyone know? I'm quite liking it so far, although I haven't heard of most of the books he's read so far. I've added a few books to my wishlist XD.

Edited by Athena

Started and finished Dragons Oath by PC and Kristen Cast which is part of a series I've been reading. It's always nice to catch up with old characters.

Have now started One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I didn't know anything about this book when I started reading it but I'm doing OK so far about a quarter the way through.

I've got to make the most of my time off work because I don't seem to be reading nearly as much these days!

Just finished 'Tell The Wolves I'm Home' by Carol Rifka Brunt, easily a 4.5/5 if not more, I need to see how I feel about it after a little time goes by..

Quite a coming of age story, all about how young people can live their lives very individually, not actually realising others may be affected in ways completely unknown to them.. The blurb on the book doesnt do it justice at all.

This one has been on my wishlist for quite a while now.

I just finished Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson + Axel Scheffler, and I´m in love. It was just so sweet.

And finally my copy of Affliction by Laurell K. Hamilton arrived, which means I´ll be very busy the next few days. :jump:  She is one of my favourite writers, and I can´t believe, that this is already #22 in the Anita Blake series. 

I feel like I'm so behind on everything. There's just not enough time! :thud: I'm only half-way through Hyperion. I'm enjoying it but it's not the kind of book I can read quickly. I can't guess where it's heading or how it will conclude, as it seems to be quite different to other books I have read. Or maybe because its sci-fi (or should that be SF? :P ) and therefore in my mind, a bit unpredictable.

I'm now officially more than halfway through Game of Thrones  :D  :exc:

What do people think of Wool so far? I know someone here didn't like it all that much. 

I'm reading Nick Hornby - The Complete Polysyllabic Spree. According to GoodReads this is part one in the series, however on Wikipedia it lists The Polysyllabic Spree going upto 2004, whereas my Complete goes until 2006. Is it all the books in the series, or the first two or something, does anyone know? I'm quite liking it so far, although I haven't heard of most of the books he's read so far. I've added a few books to my wishlist XD.

I don't think the book's a series in itself. As far as I know (and if I remember correctly), the book's a collection of Hornby's articles/blogs/whatever in a newspaper. Maybe they've added new ones to the book as it was, making it a new edition. A bit like 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, which comes up with additions and removals every few years. This is just a guess, though! Maybe he's come up with a new book :shrug:

I was going through my bookcases yesterday to think of something to read and picked up Jodi Picoult's The Pact. I got straight into it and read 188 pages. A great novel so far! Really touching and well written.

Finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult last night in bed, what a great read! :) Had problems picking out my next read but I think I finally settled with Peter Pan. What darling sentences! And a doggy nurse :D

Peter Pan is on my shelf, look forward to hear what you think! I'm almost finished with the For Dummies book on the Kindle, not sure yet what my next Kindle read will be, perhaps another For Dummies book or a self-help book or maybe one of the short story collections I have on there, or hmmm.. XD

Finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult last night in bed, what a great read! :) Had problems picking out my next read but I think I finally settled with Peter Pan. What darling sentences! And a doggy nurse :D

The Pact is one of my faves by her, right after My Sister's Keeper :D

Awww .. yes, what a great story :)

I've read nearly all of Where'd You Go Bernadette now .. should finish it later. I'm not sure where to go next but both Geoff and Claire tell me that Suite Francaise is excellent so I might just pick that up :)

Could someone pin this topic and unpin and lock the June one?

I'm reading Nick Hornby - The Complete Polysyllabic Spree and nothing on the Kindle. I'll probably be picking my next read soon, I'm not sure yet what though I'm leading towards another information book (non-fiction). I find it easier to read one fiction and one non-fiction book as opposed to reading two fiction books.

Peter Pan is on my shelf, look forward to hear what you think! I'm almost finished with the For Dummies book on the Kindle, not sure yet what my next Kindle read will be, perhaps another For Dummies book or a self-help book or maybe one of the short story collections I have on there, or hmmm.. XD

It was great, as far as I got :)

The Pact is one of my faves by her, right after My Sister's Keeper :D

I have to look that book up! :)

Awww .. yes, what a great story :)

I was thinking about you when reading the book, thinking that if you haven't yet read it, you'd really like the writing! :)

Unfortunately Peter Pan wasn't my cup of tea last night (nothing wrong with the book, I'm just more into plot than writing now, as I'm getting more anxious and excited towards the weekend...) and I picked up The Silver Linings Play Book. What a weird read so far. Not in a bad way, but also not in the best way either. I have to read more to get my head around it.

I love My Sister's Keeper, I highly recommend it, frankie!

Sorry to hear Peter Pan isn't your cup of tea. I've heard good things about The Silver Linings Play Book but I don't know if it'd be my thing (or yours for that matter). I look forward to hear what you think when you're further into the book.

Edited by Athena

In the mail today via Giveaway  pointed out my Michelle and I got a copy. Have to push this up the TBR pile now as I don't think they want you to take to long to get reading it.

'Until you're mine' by Samantha Hayes