Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2013

Little Pixie

Rob Lowe?? Gawd.  Sean Dillon's character is supposed to be short, slight and have very pale hair and I believe pale eyes. 

I repeat........Rob Lowe????? :doh:

Re second hand books, definitely!  We have great Library Sales here, plus two nice  second hand stores.  Plus there is always Amazon Marketplace with their one cent books. :)

Just looked on IMDB and they also made some Sean Dillon TV movies with Kyle MacLachlan. Not sure that`s an improvement. :giggle2:

We`ve got a few charity shops in town with book sections ( the Save the Kitties one is a personal favourite - they get great donations ) plus an Oxfam bookshop. A couple of second hand places have closed now, but there`re still a couple open in the Market Hall. The Town Square lets charities put out tables to raise money - often with a book section. :smile:

Hurray, Amazon has delivered 1Q84 : Book 3 - yay ! th_dancing.gif

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book # 59, 60, 61 1Q84 Book 1, 2 & 3 by Haruki Murakami

Synopsis from Amazon.

The year is 1Q84.

This is the real world, there is no doubt about that.

But in this world, there are two moons in the sky.

In this world, the fates of two people, Tengo and Aomame, are closely
intertwined. They are each, in their own way, doing something very dangerous.

And in this world, there seems no way to save them both.Something extraordinary is starting.

Quotes :  A ragged line of sparrows sat on an electrical line, constantly switching positions like musical notes being rewritten.

Everybody feels safe belonging not to the excluded minority but to the excluding majority. You think, Oh, I’m glad that’s not me. It’s basically the same in all periods in all societies. If you belong to the majority, you can avoid thinking about lots of troubling things.

It`s difficult to know what to say about these books without giving away spoilers ;  the books basically have chapters which alternate between the two main characters, and you gradually find out how the people and their separate stories are connected. The language is breathtaking ( he does love a simile ! :D ) and I kept having to go back and reread bits whilst thinking `wow`. Now that the books are finished, I miss the characters - they felt so real to me. One thing I particularly liked was the food descriptions and knowing what the people were listening to ; it really made things come to life.

There were things which made me feel uneasy - the book deals with some big Adult Themes - though the characters also seemed uneasy about what was happening. Also, some of the descriptions didn`t work for me ... though again, the characters complained that they couldn`t work out what was going on either. ;)

I`m not sure that the synopsis does justice to the books :  the sci-fi/fantasy/magical realism aspects seemed incidental to the real story of two people struggling to find themselves and each other.

For anyone who`s read the books ...<< At the end, I was surprised that they didn`t go back to the original taxi with the sinfonietta playing. That, the Esso tiger facing the wrong way and the Little People still working to create a chrysalis from Ushikawa, suggested to me that there`s a Book 4 in the works ? << :smile:

Hmm, that all seems a bit cryptic, but I think if I comment on the book more, it`d destroy the thriller-ish aspect of the books, and it was a proper page-turner for me, waiting to find out what was going on. :smile:

Nice review Little Pixie.  I enjoyed the book, but sometimes had a difficult time picking it up again....it's almost as though I've enjoyed it more in retrospect then at the time of reading. 

Whatever sort of sense that might make. :huh:

Nice review Little Pixie.  I enjoyed the book, but sometimes had a difficult time picking it up again....it's almost as though I've enjoyed it more in retrospect then at the time of reading. 

Whatever sort of sense that might make. :huh:

Thank you. :D

` In retrospect` - Like your mind makes more sense of it later on, subconsciously perhaps ? :smile:

I found I thought `eh?` a bit during the start of Book Three - I read the first two books straight through, then had to wait for Book Three to be delivered - possibly it needed to be read all at once, to keep the thrillerish aspect going. :smile:

I`m already looking foward to Murakami`s latest book - Click - which looks to be coming out next year. Might try The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next , though Kafka on the Shore does have a kitty on the cover ( always a good way to pick books.whistling.gif ) 

Thank you. :D

` In retrospect` - Like your mind makes more sense of it later on, subconsciously perhaps ? :smile:

I found I thought `eh?` a bit during the start of Book Three - I read the first two books straight through, then had to wait for Book Three to be delivered - possibly it needed to be read all at once, to keep the thrillerish aspect going. :smile:

I`m already looking foward to Murakami`s latest book - Click - which looks to be coming out next year. Might try The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next , though Kafka on the Shore does have a kitty on the cover ( always a good way to pick books.whistling.gif ) 

Yes, exactly.  Just like when you have a problem, sleep on it, and come to a resolution the next morning.  Our unconscious or subconscious mind works wonderfully.  :)

I read them all together.

Click looks interesting, I had not even heard anything about it yet!  Thanks for the info.

Yes, exactly.  Just like when you have a problem, sleep on it, and come to a resolution the next morning.  Our unconscious or subconscious mind works wonderfully.  :)

I read them all together.

Click looks interesting, I had not even heard anything about it yet!  Thanks for the info.

:D

I hadn`t heard anything about it either, till I went web-trawling to see if there would be a Book Four. NYDailyNews says that the latest translation should be done by the end of this year, so perhaps there isn`t long to wait. Murakami seems to inspire book mania in Japan similar to Harry Potter. ;)

Ah, I miss the Harry Potter excitement. :lol:

Book # 56       Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

Coincidentally I just read this book not too long ago, it was my first Donna Leon. I agree with you, I liked how the author gave us a glimpse into Brunetti's personal life. I also liked how there were all these small details about the Italian culture. And I couldn't help but laugh at the two police detectives (or what were they called) who worked as a pair for Brunetti. Quite funny characters :)

Here's hoping that the rest of the series is as good :)

Coincidentally I just read this book not too long ago, it was my first Donna Leon. I agree with you, I liked how the author gave us a glimpse into Brunetti's personal life. I also liked how there were all these small details about the Italian culture. And I couldn't help but laugh at the two police detectives (or what were they called) who worked as a pair for Brunetti. Quite funny characters :)

I'm a bit of a Brunetti fan, but have to say that, if anything, I found Death at La Fenice one of the weaker ones (not that there's a huge difference - Leon has proved pleasantly very consistent so far)..

I'm a bit of a Brunetti fan, but have to say that, if anything, I found Death at La Fenice one of the weaker ones (not that there's a huge difference - Leon has proved pleasantly very consistent so far)..

Well I find that very comforting :D I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next novel in the series.

I hope so too - possibly `cos I have another 9 of her books ( it was a special offer, 10 books for £9.99 ). I was looking for something to `replace` the Michael Dibdin Aurelio Zen series which I finished, and the Donna Leon books had good write-ups. :smile:

And it made sense to buy 10 books rather than just buy the first one ; I forget the reasoning, but assume others on this Board are familiar with the same logic. :giggle2:

Edited by Little Pixie

Ooh, good to know. :smile: I`ve also tried a few of the Inspector Montalbano books ; they were fun, but I think I prefer the TV show. :D

And it made sense to buy 10 books rather than just buy the first one ; I forget the reasoning, but assume others on this Board are familiar with the same logic. :giggle2:

Just the kind of reasoning I love! :D  I have bought many a book selection based on bargain series logic.

Just the kind of reasoning I love! :D  I have bought many a book selection based on bargain series logic.

And just when I pronounced that I probably wouldn`t be bothering with any more of the Montalbano books, The Book People - click -  announced that they`ve got 10 of Camilleri`s books for a tenner. I`ve got 3 or 4 of those books, but it`s just such a bargain and I did quite like them... :blush2:

Those bookpeople offers are very tempting aren't they  :smile:

Yes, and then they do those `free p&p this weekend, whoo !` offers, so you barely feel like you`re spending money at all. ninja.gif I`m also tempted by their Barbara Pym collection ; I`ve never read any of hers, but keep going across good reviews. :smile:

Thanks to reading about The Book People in this thread I went on there. I've spent £26.98 and I'm getting 32 books!! And it's free p&p over £25! Bargain! :)

I feel proudly responsible for the increase in your TBR list. 01.gif;)

The only annoying thing is that they use Yodel as their delivery company - :doh:  - they did lose the last order of mine, but The Book People re-sent it via a different company with no quibbling. Once you sign up to their newsletters, they email regularly, and every few weeks they do free p&p, which is worth holding out for, imo. :D

C`mon, what books did you get ? :D

Edited by Little Pixie

Yes, and then they do those `free p&p this weekend, whoo !` offers, so you barely feel like you`re spending money at all. ninja.gif I`m also tempted by their Barbara Pym collection ; I`ve never read any of hers, but keep going across good reviews. :smile:

I was only listening to a book programme on the radio & they were talking about Barbara Pym's novels; i've not read any myself so look forward to hearing what you think of them  :smile:

I feel proudly responsible for the increase in your TBR list. 01.gif;)

The only annoying thing is that they use Yodel as their delivery company - :doh:  - they did lose the last order of mine, but The Book People re-sent it via a different company with no quibbling. Once you sign up to their newsletters, they email regularly, and every few weeks they do free p&p, which is worth holding out for, imo. :D

C`mon, what books did you get ? :D

I will write them on the book activity thread so I won't take over yours. :)

I will write them on the book activity thread so I won't take over yours. :)

<< Goes to look >>

Ooh, some good choices there ; I keep meaning to read some Katherine Mansfield, have only read some of her letters. ( Book Activity has switched to August now, so I decided to comment here `cos comments on the other one were closed. ;)  )