Your Book Activity - May 2013

I finished The Reavers  George Macdonald Fraser which was a bit of a barmy read; i hope the Flashman novels are better as i've collected quite a few already  :doh:

I reserved Bring Up The Bodies  Hilary Mantel at the library & was surprised to get a copy quite quickly as there was a waiting list so i'm halfway through it already & really enjoying it  :readingtwo:

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I started The Elegance of the Hedgehog, I've abandoned it already.  Not sure if it's my mood, or the philosophical slant of the book that has put me off. 

I'm dreading the end of Forever Amber, it hurts every time I read it. /sigh/groan/

I've just ordered it Tim, looks lovely!  I also ordered Graves White Goddess

Thanks so much for mentioning it. :)

Oh great! Glad to help, it is lovely, complete with maps and illustrations. I would like to read I, Claudius by Graves. Will also check out White Goddess :)

I'm about 100 pages into the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and It's definitely living up to all the recommendations :D

So glad you're enjoying it.

I finished The Prisoner of Heaven today and although I thought it was fantastic it's left me with too many unanswered questions and I know I'll be awaiting the series' final installment for too long. In addition to finishing Zafon's text I started Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. Never managed to make significant headway with it but perhaps I shall be able now I have a bit more time on my hands.

Oh great! Glad to help, it is lovely, complete with maps and illustrations. I would like to read I, Claudius by Graves. Will also check out White Goddess :)

I, Claudius and Claudius the God are in my top 10 ever, favorite books.  If, after reading them, try to catch the Masterpiece Theatre series based on them.  It followed pretty closely and was excellent. 

Lydia (Claudius's grandmother) has to be my top villainess of all time.

Edited by pontalba

Less than 100 pages to go in Bringing Up The Bodies so i should be finished if not today then definitely tomorrow.

Other book activity- i bought tickets yesterday to take my two youngest to meet the childrens author Steve Cole at one of the libraries, he's appearing as part of the Breeze Bookfest events that are going on in Leeds for the next couple of weeks. My daughter is a big fan of The Cow's in Action books & can't wait to meet him; i'm going to buy her his latest book as a surprise so she can get it signed  :smile:

I'm currently reading Z for Zachariah with my daughter.  She has to read it for school, and is struggling with it, so we're taking turns reading a chapter aloud. 

As for my own reading, I've started reading Kathy Reichs again. 

I finished reading Charles H. Elliott and Laura L. Smith - Depression for Dummies. It gave some insight into depression, I thought it was pretty good.

I'm not sure yet what to read next. I'll be picking a next Kindle read and a next paper book read. On the Kindle I'll likely read another information (non-fiction) book. For the paperbook, I feel like reading something shorter and lighter after reading The Crimson Petal and the White, so I've picked out a few available options of books that I feel like reading soon.

I might also re-organise several of my bookshelves. At the moment my fantasy books are spread out over four different book cases and my YA and paranormal is spread out over two. I was thinking of making it so they aren't so spread out (so YA + paranormal in one book case, fantasy in three (I have a lot of fantasy books XD)). Anyway, I've been looking forward to doing this, don't know yet when I'll do it but probably sometime soon.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the new Dan Brown installment, haven't heard anything about it really.

I'm making good progress with Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment as I knew I would when I finally had some time on my hands. I'm 116 pages in and it's really starting to move apace now. It's already a wonderfully dark exploration of the human psyche and I'm interested to see where it'll go.

I'm about 100 pages into the Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and It's definitely living up to all the recommendations :D

Oh yeaaaaah! :D That's great news :smile2:

I started a Lucy Dillon novel yesterday, can't remember the title.

I finished If You Find Me yesterday, and it was very, very good too. Have been out all day today and a Sunday without reading just doesn't feel right.  Will be picking up Diving Belles again next, but not sure if I'll get to it today, or will have to wait until tomorrow.

Started Inferno. Not been able to put it down since. Obviously I've had to but when I am reading it I'm totally engrossed. Nothing has been given away too quickly and you're getting a good backstory on how events are how they are. I love it!

I've started to read Charles H. Elliott and Laura L. Smith - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder For Dummies, but at a certain page my Kindle kept crashing :/. I've restarted it several times (didn't help) and redownloaded the file (I don't know if this will help). I'm reluctant to try again as I'm worried it will crash again (silly, maybe). I was sitting in the sun so maybe it overheated? If that's the case it should be okay now that it's cooled down.

Edited by Athena

I've started Replay by Ken Grimwood. :)

Mwahahahahaha! :giggle2:

I finished A Fire Upon the Deep and am of the opinion that I need to buy everything Vernor Vinge has written.  I'm going to Forbidden Planet today - could be dangerous :hide:  :giggle2:

Mum and I went to a charityshop earlier today, I wanted to see if I could find some nice shirts or something. Did take a quick look at their book section at first, though :giggle: Mum got three books (and she usually doesn't buy anything!) while I got none! :cool:

I wanted to see if I could find some nice shirts or something.

Yeah, right! We all know the real reason you went there. You can't fool us, Frankie. :P Sorry to hear you didn't find anything though.

Not much book activity for me. I went to donate blood today, so I took along Veronica Roth's Insurgent to read, but I didn't end up donating, so I only got to read a page or two.

Yeah, right! We all know the real reason you went there. You can't fool us, Frankie. :P Sorry to hear you didn't find anything though.

Actually I went there to look at clothes, honest! :D There have been a few nice retro kind of things there and I was hoping I could find something nice for summer! :cool:  But no matter, I found a nice shirt at a store later. And I can still do shopping in Joensuu, there are far more clothes shops and charityshops there.