Spiders

risingdawn

As some of you may have seen by my status update, the lovely Boris the spider is hibernating under my bed right now. I found him hoovering (as you do!) when I picked up my boyfriend's scarf and he dropped out. I kinda froze for a second and then he scurried under my bed. :'( I have a massive phobia of spiders. The dinky one's are so-so cause they're tiny and can't really do much. But this one was a Boris! He's the big spider you find in your bath after you've been on holiday.

So yeah, he's now under my bed! I've got a box sitting outside the room waiting to squish the little thing and then my life will be happy. I'm contemplating getting my Mum to lift up the bed later and then hoovering him up when he walks out! I can't really just hoover under the whole bed as I know there's a battery under there and I don't want an explosion or anything!

So, what do you guys do when you see a spider or anything like that?

Look up house spider and you'll be close to the spider I'm hunting!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge fan of spiders, but whenever I come across them in the house, I get a glass and a piece of cardboard - put the glass over the spider, slip the cardboard under the glass so that he's trapped inside, and then put him outside to live another day, and hopefully he'll get the message that he's not welcome inside! :lol:

I couldn't kill them, anyway my Mum used to say their big brothers and sisters would come and find me if I did!!  I don't mind them at all and will remove them with my hands if I can do so without hurting them, if not it's a plastic cup and maybe a piece of card if it's a fast one!!

I couldn't kill them, anyway my Mum used to say their big brothers and sisters would come and find me if I did!!

That's what I think too!   I hate them, but I do the old 'glass and cardboard' thing - or, if he's home,  my son picks them up for me and puts them outside!

I'm not a huge fan of spiders, but whenever I come across them in the house, I get a glass and a piece of cardboard - put the glass over the spider, slip the cardboard under the glass so that he's trapped inside, and then put him outside to live another day, and hopefully he'll get the message that he's not welcome inside! :lol:

This is what I do - they are good to have to keep the flies and other insects at bay, and I have never had one come back in. :)

I can handle daddy long legs myself, but anything bigger and hairy I freak out, I can't stand watching them move - I have to call for help! I have a real phobia for huntsman spiders - we used to live right in a forest when we were growing up, and there would be these huge ones that came into the house - talking dinner plate sizes (including leg span). Ewwwww

Edited by Devi

I hate spiders. I don't kill them though, and try to remove them with a glass and bit of cardboard. They just freak me out. They have too many legs, and their legs are all spindly. Ugh, makes me feel funny just thinking of them. :hide:

^^ Likewise, Michelle  :lol:

The only good spider is a squashed one :yes:

Too true! I've had many methods of squishing. Bus tickets, crisp packets. I also like the good 'ol technique of hoovering them up. Which apparently doesn't actually kill them so that's kinda humane. I wouldn't squish them if they didn't invade my personal space. I just have fears of them crawling on me and everything. My Mum made it worse saying how we eat spiders and I was like, yeah thanks. Just before I came into my bedroom she was like "There's gonna be cobwebs on your floor spelling murderer by the baby Boris' tomorrow". Haha.

So yes, Boris is now dead. Thank the lord. My life can move on.

I've had a phobia of spiders all of my life. It seems they were put on this earth to scare the xx#% out of me. As a child I've woken up to them hanging inches from my face, crawling on my blankets. I seem to be a spider magnet.

We have those huntsman spiders and I frequently get them in our home. Our house is next to a pond. I hate them. I despise them. I have learned to use my vaccuum to suck those invaders of my home up, then some kitty litter and then I put in a prop of paper and leave a note for my hubby to PLEASE dispose of the bag. He is such a dear he always does. If he is home, he will pick them up and throw them outdoors. Mostly when they are scuttling around on my floor or climbing my walls he is not home. So, I do what I can to get rid of them. They are always so huge. Too huge for me to handle with my own hands. And, why, do tell, do they always run towards me if people tell me that they are more afraid of me than I am of them?! I do not believe them. My fear is greater.

But, on the other hand, when these same spiders are outside, I believe in Live and let Live. Then they have a right to go their own way.

Did you know that those daddy long leg spiders are one of the most posionous spiders around? Yes, they are (saw it on National Geographics) but their mouth is too small to bite us, so we are safe.

I've always been terrified of spiders, but since Xan was born I try to be more brave about them, especially in front of Xan. However, I've never been able to kill them. I can now put a pot over a Boris and then get it outside. Xan thinks I'm very kind because then the spider can go and find HIS Mummy instead of being lost in the house. He understand that wild animals (including spiders) belong outside and not in the house! I always feel sick to the point of vomiting when I have to do that, but I can do it. Pre-Xan I never could - I would either run screaming from the room or be frozen to the spot, unable to move till someone came to rescue me.

You're doing the right thing, Kell.  When I was a kid, if a spider ran across the floor my mum would jump on a chair and scream the house down.  I'm convinced this is why I'm arachnophobic :lol:

Squash them.

A couple of months ago we saw a black spider, huge body.....I think it was a black widow.....when squashed, thousands of little ones came out.  Sprayed them. 

If they'd hatched/been born we'd have had thousands in the house.  /shiver/  No thanks.  They're too quick to capture with jar and cardboard.  I'll do that for lizards and such, but not spiders.

Squash them.

A couple of months ago we saw a black spider, huge body.....I think it was a black widow.....when squashed, thousands of little ones came out.  Sprayed them. 

If they'd hatched/been born we'd have had thousands in the house.  /shiver/  No thanks.  They're too quick to capture with jar and cardboard.  I'll do that for lizards and such, but not spiders.

That will now give me nightmares for a month!

Squash them.

Eww that's just scary and weird! I'm seriously glad I've never seen a black widow... I don't think.

Thankfully no cobwebs saying murderer this morning! :lol:

That will now give me nightmares for a month!

/groan/ sorry Michelle. 

Eww that's just scary and weird! I'm seriously glad I've never seen a black widow... I don't think.

Thankfully no cobwebs saying murderer this morning! :lol:

It was scary, I almost freaked out.  Fortunately the spray can was nearby.  Collapsed later....lol

Edited by pontalba

Holy moly! Mrs Boris came to say hello tonight. :'( Finished watching Bridges of Madison County and my Mum noticed some legs go under the sofa. As you can guess I was right up standing on the sofa so it couldn't crawl on me! We squished her with Mum's slippers but her legs were still twitching so Mum got a knife and stabbed her. :o She is now in heaven with Mr Boris! :P

Thank you, that has made me laugh! I have pictures in my head of your mum with a large carving knife, with the 'Psycho' theme playing in the background!

Haha. She got the bread knife. I thought she had slipped it back into the draw after and was like "YOU ARE WASHING THAT AREN'T YOU?!" Haha. We're waiting for baby Boris's now. :P

I appreciate that, but stabbing with a knife?  I suppose I should be grateful RisingDawn isn't terrified of mice?  I have quite a bad bird phobia but have yet to resort to any form of violence when either a bird gets in or the cat brings one in. There is always another option, and a knife certainly isn't it. :(