Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

It's like, should I cry or stab something sharp in my ear? You feel anxious and nauseated and proud of having read that and then disgusted over the fact that you're proud of yourself over something so shallow as reading a book when people are going through whatever it is you've just read about, and all the while you just hate it all and the world and the hopelessness of everything... It's a very specific feeling.

The documentary sounds interesting. If it's well done, it'll kill you. Somehow I've found it's easier to put down a book and walk away for a while. Documentaries... yes, you can pause the DVD, go to another room, but you return to it faster, you don't get away from it the same way.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate to give up on books and try very hard not too. But as a reviewer said above, life can sometimes be too short to persevere with one that doesn't do anything for you.

I'm about to give up on Exodus as I read it donkey's years ago and quite enjoyed it then but I think my tastes have changed quite a bit and I'm not a fan now of that style of writing. The plot is of course very good and heart wrenching but I wish it had been written in another style (possibly updated as it is 51 years old and it shows!!) It's also 600 pages long .....:D

Well, I put my hands up, I've had to give up on this now. The book is very long with tiny print, I have been turning pages like there is no tomorrow and have only reached page 250. I have to say that's it now. I know what happens anyway so it's now time to move on.

I gave up on Jane Eyre when I was about 14, but then read it when I was 16/17 because it was a book I had to read for my English a-level. I actually enjoyed it in the end but it took me a while to get into, I didn't so much like the bits where Jane was young. I almost gave up on Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone too, but the series ended up being an obsession, I do usually miss out the first few chapters when I re-read PS though.

I've always intended to try and read Lord of the rings again, I got as far as the forming of the fellowship first time

I almost gave up on Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone too, but the series ended up being an obsession, I do usually miss out the first few chapters when I re-read PS though.

I've always intended to try and read Lord of the rings again, I got as far as the forming of the fellowship first time

I used to love Harry Potter I read all until the first big book 'Goblet of Fire'? came out, I read the first few chapters but couldn't solider on through the rest.

Oh, this woman's constant whining and dramatics makes me absolutely crazy.

"Ohhhh I must lie on the bathroom floor and cry some more.. :lol: My life is upside down and I didn't see it coming at ALL! I didn't realize that jumping into one relationship after another, with each being worse than the prior, especially that time I dove directly from my marriage into a relationship with a man named David, then proceeded to scare him to death with my desperate clinginess, could send my life into a downward spiral and complicate my divorce proceedings. Ohhh how did I get so unhappy?? I did nothing to deserve this.. I must write a book and moan about it so millions of people will read it. :D "

Omg.. I feel SO MUCH BETTER now that I have vented this frustration to you, Ceinwenn. *sigh* *breathing normally now*

Omg.. I feel SO MUCH BETTER now that I have vented this frustration to you, Ceinwenn. *sigh* *breathing normally now*

Eek!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm now I'm thining twice about this one! I hate whinny books!

*just checked with LibraryThing's will you like it predictor - it says I will probably not like this book, with a very high probability! It's not been wrong yet about the books I have tested it against, so maybe I definately will pass this one by!*

In all seriousness, MANY people really like this book.. but it was just NOT for me. AT ALL. I cannot relate to her one little iota.. not even a FRAGMENT of an iota. That's what did it for me, I think -- just complete inability to connect with her on any level.

This "predictor" you talk about .. I'm not a member of LibraryThing, so unsure of what's involved? Can anyone join LibraryThing? This predictor sounds really interesting!

:lol: Oh no, you better run before the crowds start chasing you :D

I thought I was asking for trouble admitting it! :)

I did exactly the same.

:friends0:I thought I was the only one!

I`m not sure if I should say this! :lol:

I gave up on the first Harry Potter book and I have no intention of picking it or any other HP book up again. :)

I did exactly the same.

I am a major Harry Potter fan but I actually almost gave up on the first one first time, needless to say I'm glad I persevered. But yeah I can understand, I find the first one a little slow starting.

How far did you both get before you gave up?

I've spent the last 4 years (almost 5 now actually, when I think about it!) on a Harry Potter forum so it's weird for me to see someone online not liking Harry Potter :D

Pipread and Roxi, you definitely cant stop there! It'd be such a waste! I agree that the first one is slow going - it's an introduction to the world of magic and the characters really - I read it when I was around 12 and I think I only finished it because it was a present and the person who had given it to me was actually staying at my place at the time... Had to put on a show of liking it! (plus it got me out of joining everyone on the afternoon walks *I'd looove to go with you but this book is sooo good, I just cant put it down*) :D

I actually like it when I go back to it now but that's because the characters have grown on me... The following books are just amazing and it'd be a crime not to give them a try... imo of course :lol:

I`m not sure if I should say this! :lol:

I gave up on the first Harry Potter book and I have no intention of picking it or any other HP book up again. :D

I did exactly the same.

Now you know me, I'd rather have a good gory serial killer/murder book than young adult fiction, but even I have to admit, when I was reading these to my kids years ago, I thought they were really good. They are worth the effort and do get better! :)