Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used to give up on books, no matter how much I hated what I was reading. Now, it's a different story, though. My life is too hectic & way too short to bother with a book I am not enjoying!

I really hate to give up on books and try very hard not too. But as a reviewer said above, life can sometimes be too short to persevere with one that doesn't do anything for you.

I'm about to give up on Exodus as I read it donkey's years ago and quite enjoyed it then but I think my tastes have changed quite a bit and I'm not a fan now of that style of writing. The plot is of course very good and heart wrenching but I wish it had been written in another style (possibly updated as it is 51 years old and it shows!!) It's also 600 pages long .....:readingtwo:

:( I knew there would be! That's the problem though. When you know there is gonna be a twist. You spend your time wondering what that is! Just waiting for it to be revealed.

I know, and regardless of how much you try, you can never guess the twists in her books. Or at least I can't.

I've decided to give up on Vishnu - I am just not enjoying this book at all! I mean, god it's awful! There's a guy called Vishnu who lives on the landing in a bombay tenament block & he's dying & the mornons who live in the building are so self centred that they just carry on with their stupid petty arguements & lives, behaving like Vishnu dying on their stairs is the worst thing in the world that could possibly happen to them. Such an inconvenience, is Vishnu. **** book!

I know, and regardless of how much you try, you can never guess the twists in her books. Or at least I can't.

That's true, I had no idea with the previous two. I don't have much clue with this one either! I've decided to finish it though as I'm more than halfway through. So, I may as well.

There was another thread on this somewhere.

Yep, that happens from time to time, and I merge threads whenever I can. However, if I can't find the older thread, I can't expect others to find it! :(

Edit: Oddly enough, writing that made me remember that *I* started the original thread, which therefore made it easier to find! So, they're now merged. :(

Edited by Michelle

I have more unfinished books than I realised. I'm yet to finish PS I love you and We Need To Talk About Kevin. There's one by Torey Hayden that I started but switched to a more appealing read. And there's a few by Jodi Picoult.

I do plan to pick them up again though! :(

I have a number that I have put down that I will never pick up again (Smoke Jumper by Nicholas....?), and some that I have put down that I really want to read (Anansie Boys by Neil Gaiman). Some you know you are just not going enjoy or are not going to turn out in a way that will be satisfying, or in the case of Smoke Jumper, feel like they're going to be just too sad to read! Others, you may just not be in the right frame of mind for at the time. I love Neil Gaiman, I'm hopeful that I just picked to read his book at the wrong time and next time I come to it I wil enjoy it.

Oh Princessponti, you really should read the Smoke Jumper! It was a brilliant book! Have you read any of his others?

I read the Horse Whisperer, and it was so so sad! I could see the Smoke Jumper going that way as I was reading it and couldn't face the heartache! Sensitive soul I am!! ...I still have it on the shelf though I think - is it sad?

Do you know, I honestly don't remember. I must get it & read it again. I've read all his books & loved them all, but I honestly couldn't tell you what happened in this one in particular. My favourite was The Loup. Have you read that one?

If I`ve put a book down because I`m not in the right mood for it, I`ll try again when I feel I am ready for it. If I`ve given up because I really don`t like the book, I won`t try it again.

I can think of a few books I've given up on, earlier this year not having seen the movie, I started reading American Psycho. Got half way and I don't think I'll be picking it up again anytime soon.

Memoirs of A Geisha, started reading this years ago but couldn't get into it at all.

Lord of the Rings, my book was all three squashed into one book with small writing, I skimmed quite a few chapters and gave up on the Two Towers.

The Dumas Club by Arturo Perez Reverte, can't remember why but will give it another chance.

I have one in particular that haunts me. I see it every time I walk into my bedroom & I keep meaning to pick it up and try reading it again, but as much as I have that intention.............not sure I'll get it read. This is it HERE

I have one in particular that haunts me. I see it every time I walk into my bedroom & I keep meaning to pick it up and try reading it again, but as much as I have that intention.............not sure I'll get it read. This is it HERE

That looks like a fashinating book, Ceinwenn, I'll have to add that to my list. I loved Hotel Rwanda (the movie), and though he was the most interesting charater in it! Of course I've always had a thing for the UN. I have a love/hate relationship with books like that. One one hand I like reading them, 'cause they teach you so much, but on the other, they just make you want to curl up and hide from the world, no?

I have a love/hate relationship with books like that. One one hand I like reading them, 'cause they teach you so much, but on the other, they just make you want to curl up and hide from the world, no?

Yes!