Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

I tried to read Ulverton by Adam Thorpe on two separate occasions (years apart) and got bogged down at the same bit. It was a shame as I'd read good reviews about it and would have liked to have made it to the end. Maybe it will be third time lucky one day.

Just edited this to ask - has any on here read it?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many moons ago i started the oldest living confederate widow tells all and put it down because i got distracted by another book-- when i picked it up the second time i actually enjoyed it

• 2 weeks later...

Books I couldn't finish:

Fingersmith Sarah Waters

Unless Carol Shields

Autograph Man Zadie Smith

Month of Sundays John Updike

Odd about the Updike one, as normally I like his novels, but to be honest this one was just too clever for me.

I'm amazed that people didn't like Life of Pi or Never Let Me go, but I guess people may feel the same about my list of "great unreads".

There are lots of books I shouldn't have finished.

Having finally read War and Peace, now the only books I've failed to finish that I might finish are Don Quixote and Peter Ackroyd's immense Biography of London, which I got half-way through and thought I'd wait before I ploughed on with, and which has been in that state for about three or four years now.

Books I couldn't finish:

Unless Carol Shields

Ah, now that's one of my favourite books and I've known quite a few people who didn't like it. I love its melancholic nature. John Mullan does a really good analysis of it in How Novels Work.

I'm amazed that people didn't like Life of Pi or Never Let Me Go

I enjoyed Never Let Me Go but it's certainly a book that polarises opinion! There's a couple of threads that discusses it and it's amazing how strongly people feel about it!

Re: Restless

I liked it a lot. He's one of my favourite authors. Try Armadillo or Brazzaville Beach. Any Human Heart was brilliant too.

Urgh, I really can't stress how much I loathe this novel! It's completely put me off reading anything else by Boyd. Probably the least enjoyable reading experience I've had in, ohh, at least 5 years :lol: I had a near apocalyptic rant about it in the first part of my 2007 blog.

It's rare for me to give up on a book, although sometimes I wish I could...I just try not to. Occasionally I have picked up a book and after reading a couple of pages have known that I am not in the mood for it at that time. When that happens, I read something else instead, but I think I have always gone back to the first one at some point. It happened with one of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, by Charlaine Harris. I love those books, but when it came to reading the 3rd one, I just couldn't get into it. I did read it at a later time, and loved it.

• 10 months later...

I do like to try and finish books if I start them, but if it's that bad or I'm really struggling I will put it down and try again at some other time. But if I have the same problem again then I probably wouldn't try a third time.

So far this year I've given up on 3 -

Shirley - Charlotte Bronte

Silent Spring - Rachel Carson

Pride & Predjudice - Jane Austen

I will probably pick up Bronte's and Austen's books in the future when I'm in the right frame of mind :friends0: but not Silent Spring that was just soo boring it felt like I was revising for an exam!

I HATE giving up on a book, so I must really hate the book to do so. So here listed in order of how early I gave up are the few books I ditched and the reason.

Carol Shields Unless - dreary.

John Updike A Month of Sundays - couldn't follow the religious references & just hated it. This one really pained me to ditch.

Zadie Smith The Autograph Man - Just dire. It was a long time ago & can't remember exactly why. I had a really nice copy as well, with the fold out dust jacket, but I hated it.

Sarah Waters Fingersmith - The lesbian intrigue and the supposed realisation that the only true love is woman to woman started to bore me to tears. Don't get me wrong, I have the same fantasies as most males but I felt that the political agenda destroyed the book.

JEEZ.. How did I miss this thread. It was only updated yesterday!!

Edited by NiceguyEddie
Embarrassed at missing this thread.

It's not often I give up on a book , I tend to see them through to the end even if I'm not that keen. The three I have given up on are in the past couple of years are:

A Suitable Boy- Vikram Seth

The Time Travellers Wife

War and Peace - Tolstoy

The think the size put me off with a couple of them and I just wasn't keen on the Time Travellers Wife. Would like to read war and Peace all the way through and will definitely try to tackle it someday!

It's not often I give up on a book , I tend to see them through to the end even if I'm not that keen. The three I have given up on are in the past couple of years are:

A Suitable Boy- Vikram Seth

The Time Travellers Wife

War and Peace - Tolstoy

The think the size put me off with a couple of them and I just wasn't keen on the Time Travellers Wife. Would like to read war and Peace all the way through and will definitely try to tackle it someday!

I enjoyed The Time Travellers Wife - what about did you not enjoy?

I enjoyed The Time Travellers Wife - what about did you not enjoy?

I didn't read the whole book , or even half but I just wasn't keen, couldn't get into it and I didn't find the dialogue very goodMaybe one day I will read it right through.

There are two books that I recall beginning when I was a teen, but just could not get into and had to put them down. The first was The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, which I may have gotten through a couple of chapters. I think the other was The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

Someday I may just give them a go again.