Does predictibility spoil a book for you?

Allough predictability doesn't spoil it for me, I do prefer a 'good' twist or two.

I also agree that there can be a set pattern/rules to good story telling, some things work and some don't.

One thing that DOES put me off though is hype. Everyone told me to read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, then every tv channel was making programs about it, good publicity but I don't want to feel like I HAVE TO read it, so haven't yet .

Some criticise the way in which Neil Gaiman ties his plotlines up so neatly, yet the fact that everything ends more or less as it should is a great comfort for me in these uncertain times :) plus he writes so well I'm not that bothered about having a "whoa!" end twist.

I don't mind it in the slightest when a book ends up this way, though i do when it is poorly written that this would just irritate me even more.

Some books don't really have a plot, but I still enjoy them because of the way they are written, they aren't really meant to have a story line, their purpose was something different.

But I also like books with something I didn't expect. I remember 'Redeem the time' by Sue Frost. I couldn't predict the ending. There were different story lines coming together near the end. And just when you think you know all, there is another surprise. It tells the story of two women living in different times, but meeting each other when one is old and about to die, while the other still has a whole life to live. Their past is very interesting and their lives have more in common than the reader first thinks.

On the whole I'd have to say I'm not a fan of predictable books, I prefer books with twists and unexpected (but plausible) developments.

Conversely though, I don't have a problem with books where I already know the story.

Predictability won't necessarily put me off a book. It would depend on my mood whilst reading. Sometimes familiarity is comforting however I would enjoy a happy ending more in familiar plot, say for instance, if changes in how that happy ending comes about. At other times twists and suprises are quite a delight.

• 1 year later...

I dont like a book to be predictable. I can handle it here and there but I love a book that makes me sit up in bed because its too intense of reading to be laying down. Twists and turns for me are what make a book un-put-downable (as long as they make sense).

Unfortunately, I find most books predictable, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. It's a standing joke in our house that I should write scripts for television and films as I can (far too) often predict next lines, characters and stories, and I find the same with books. I'm absolutely delighted when an author takes the story somewhere I was never expecting, and increases the enjoyment, but predictability does not spoil a book for me.

I much prefer an unpredictable book to a predictable one. When I get to the end of a predictable book, while I may enjoy it, I feel a little bit let down. Unpredictable books give you that 'Wow' moment :D

I have to admit that I'm not great at guessing plot twists or endings. I think it's because I don't think to try, though. Usually I'm too focused on the current part of the book that I'm reading that I forget to think ahead. However, I do also constantly read spoilers - especially because I tend to read introductions to classic books before I read the book - but then when I get to that point in the story, I forget that I even knew about it! Maybe I'm just forgetful. :D Either way, predictable books don't really bother me, because I'm not good at predicting.

More to the point, however, I don't especially read for storylines. I tend to enjoy more exploratory books, for example those that explore characters and opinions, with the story as more of a catalyst for ideas, rather than the whole point of the book. That's not to say that I don't enjoy a good plot twist either, though. A novel's story must be good to convey opinions with force and, to some extent, conviction, and also to leave an impression upon you. Unpredictable books are definitely preferable for this reason, but like I say, it doesn't bother me much! :D

It bothers me, depending on the kind of book it is. For instance, if I'm reading a 'whodunnit' it really annoys me if I guess early on who did it, and turn out to be right. I usually keep reading though, because I want to see if I'm right or not!!

Some books you're obviuosly meant to know who did what fairly early, and the enjoyment comes from watching the other charactesr figure it out. In those instances, no it doesn't bother me.

I have to admit that I'm not great at guessing plot twists or endings. I think it's because I don't think to try, though. Usually I'm too focused on the current part of the book that I'm reading that I forget to think ahead. However, I do also constantly read spoilers - especially because I tend to read introductions to classic books before I read the book - but then when I get to that point in the story, I forget that I even knew about it! Maybe I'm just forgetful. :D Either way, predictable books don't really bother me, because I'm not good at predicting.

My thoughts exactly.

In some cases no, if I'm reading a romance I want a happy ending and nothing else will do. If I'm reading a whodunit then yes, I want to be kept guessing.

I think writing predictability can kill a good author. Martina Cole is too formulaic, you can't read more than a couple of her books without knowing exactly what the rest will be like.

As I've mentioned before somewhere ... I try not to second guess the plot even though it may be obvious - I don't try to analyse or think about it too much as I don't want to be disappointed (although I often am).

I've never really given that much thought. But yes, I did predict the ending of the Harry Potter books and that ruined the last book a lot for me.

And my reader insists that my book's greatest plus point is that she can't predict what happens. I guess that to some people that matters a lot.

I don't like predictability in my books. Some writers deliberately telegraph their (or their characters) intentions through a book, and that's fine. Look at Romeo & Juliet - you know how it's going to end; doesn't stop it being a great story! All of Dan Brown's books have been ruined by guessing the ending long before the end.

For real twists in the tail - I'd recommend Jeffery Deaver.