English Literature's 50 Key Moments

Raven

English literature's 50 key moments from Marlowe to JK Rowling.

As the article itself says: It makes no claim to be comprehensive (how could it?). Rather, it aims to stimulate a discussion about the turning-points in the world of books and letters from the King James Bible to the present day.

Interesting list though, do you agree?

Could be a good basis for a reading list as well.

There are certainly some interesting additions there. I wouldn't on my own have thought to include the American declaration in a list like this, but having given it some thought, it is a beautifully concise use of language.

There are some books there that I don't recognise, some familiar ones as well. I would have to agree with the ones I'm familiar with, they're pretty important works (ie. Darwin, Dickens, J. K. Rowling). It's an interesting list, I might have to look up some of those books.

I can't remember if it was the King James Bible or another that allowed common people to be able to read the Bible themselves without being ripped off by people of the church in order to make money but it is definitely revolutionary within literature. I think most of these are hugely influential in the way that they have opened the minds of humans to controversy and more. Also the changes in literary styles.

English literature's 50 key moments from Marlowe to JK Rowling.

As the article itself says: It makes no claim to be comprehensive (how could it?). Rather, it aims to stimulate a discussion about the turning-points in the world of books and letters from the King James Bible to the present day.

Interesting list though, do you agree?

Could be a good basis for a reading list as well.

Thanks for the link, Raven.

I have a book similar to this called The Little Black Book of Books. There are probably around 200 items that have been chosen as 'key' books, authors, characters, passages in books, and (real-life) events. I've always thought it would make a great and unique reading challenge, but I've never had time to go through and type it all out. The only downside, in my opinion, is that my book only covers a 100-year period (1900-2000). There are so many more important things that have been left out, particularly from pre-1900. There would easily be enough to fill another book, I should think, although I don't think there are plans to do another one.