Peacefield's Reads 2013

Peacefield

I managed to finish the behemoth a.k.a. Under the Dome while I was on vacation, as well as Dead Ever After.  I was busy after that trying to squeeze in time with my family, so I just re-read bits of Circle of Friends for the hundredth time.  Tonight I'll start a new book, but I just haven't decided on which one yet...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't read Under the Dome yet, but I've been watching the TV series. I don't want to know how it ends, but could you please kindly tell me if we will at least get answers about the reason for the dome? It's not going to be left open-ended, is it?

I mostly enjoyed Under the Dome, Bobbly, and I completely agree that it was like reading King in his prime!  It reminded me so much of staying up late at night during high school and reading The Shining :D

Ugh, the TV show :(.  This is just my opinion you guys, but I had to stop watching after 3 or 4 episodes because it was so bad.  They've changed so much that's important in the book, it's not even the same story anymore.  I've read that the US series is meant to go on as a regular ongoing show, not a mini-series, which makes me think that the Dome issue will never be explained/resolved properly. 

There are main characters in the book who I loved but are completely missing from the show, and even the essence of the Dome structure itself is different!  Both things I think are important to the story so I just had to quit watching the TV version. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, guys!!  How goes the reading?

I read and LOVED Joyland last month, and cannot find enough words to say how much I enjoyed it :D.  It's King with all of his nostalgia and east-coast US charms but without the bizarre and gruesome elements, if that makes sense.

Last week I read the first story in King's short story book Full Dark, No Stars - called 1922.  Talk. About. Creepy.  Man!  Also very dark, so I'm taking a break from old-King-ness to read Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley.  It's the third installment in his Flavia de Luce mysteries and it's already making me laugh.

I'm glad I read your comments about the Under The Dome series - I read the book and enjoyed it and have been recording the series, but I don't think I will bother watching it.

I am a big fan of Stephen King and his books (with a few exceptions) and I agree, peacefield, Joyland was great!  One of the best he has written in a long while.

I agree with the Under The Dome TV series being so bad. I watched it last night (I think it's about the 4th episode) and I don't think I'll bother watching the rest. It really is bad, however it does make me want to pick up the book again, which I will probably do after my current read.

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh, I watched the season finale of Under the Dome and boo!  Not good. 

I finished A Red Herring Without Mustard and absolutely loved it.  Really, Alan Bradley is such a superb author, and I love Flavia de Luce!  Can't wait to read the next in the series.

After that I picked up The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey, and am half-way through.  After I finish I'll read the remaining 3 short stories in Full Dark, No Stars.  Reading King around Halloween is pretty fitting! :D

The Fifth Wave is extremely dark, intense and depressing.  I can't take my eyes off the pages though because of Yancey's writing, so that's what's keeping me reading.  The book picks up after the first, second and third Waves have hit and 97%  of the earth's population has been destroyed by aliens (aka the 'Others').  Sounds like fun, huh? :lol:

Really?  Thanks for the news, Pontalba! :D

Yeah, I can never really get enough of reading about Flavia.  She's so funny not to mention smart and I love that she talks about her bike 'Gladys' like she's her best friend!

Thanks, Pontalba! What does that make now, 5 books? 6? I have some work to do since I just finished #3.

Sounds like Frankie has some work to do too! :P I think we just have some different reading tastes, Frankie. We should swap some time. You can read one of my faves and I can read one of yours! :D

(null)