Peacefield's Reads 2013

Peacefield

Well, better late than never, huh?  My official 2013 reading list/blog is now open for business :D  I'm going to take a bit of a different approach this year.  I have many, MANY books in my TBR pile, but I'm going to concentrate on reading at least 12 of them and commit myself to reading 1 book a month.  I know, it's not very many considering most of your own lists, but I feel this is what I can handle and something at which I can be successful.  Between working full time and also dabbling in my family genealogy project and other crafty things I like to do, it's just too hard to get a ton of reading time in.

Anyway!  Here are the books I am going to try and read in 2013, in no particular order. I hope to read 12 of them, but more would be awesome :D  Wish me luck!

City of Bones Cassandra Clare (January)

Remarkable Creatures Tracy Chevalier  (February) 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children Ransom Riggs

Red Herring Without Mustard Alan Bradley (September)

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle Murakami

Palo Alto James Franco

House of Velvet & Glass Katherine Howe

Before the Poison Peter Robinson (May)

Generation Dead Daniel Waters (1st half of June)

Reliquary Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

One of our Thursdays is Missing Jasper Fforde

Nerd Do Well Simon Pegg

Delicate Edible Birds Lauren Groff

Arcadia Lauren Groff

Shop Girl Steve Martin

The Emigrants Johan Boger

The Devil in Massachusetts Marion L Starkey

High Fidelity Nick Hornby

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella  (March)

Divergent by Veronica Roth (April)

Under the Dome by Stephen King (June/July)

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris (July)

Joyland by Stephen King (August)

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey (1st half of October)

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King (2nd half of October)

Edited by Peacefield

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and also dabbling in my family genealogy project...

I do this - and when I get going on it sometimes I neglect everything else - it's so engrossing!  Do you use something like Ancestry.com?  :)

House of Velvet & Glass Katherine Howe

I can't wait for this to come out in paperback!  :)

Happy reading 2013.  :)

ETA:  Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh - I hate this new quoting system! 

Edited by Janet

I hope you have a great reading year, peace, and I hope you reach your aims and goals for the year! :)  Life gets in the way sometimes, and if you have many other hobbies it's no wonder you don't have that much time to read. I hope that all the books you read are wonderful! :)

What's Palo Alto? I was once googling for pics of doggies and came across with a blog about a doggy and he had a Palo Alto group going on, he has a few doggy friends he likes to hang out with :D

Thanks for the good luck wishes, guys! :D  I'm glad to hear good things about Remarkable Creatures, too.

AshleighJane, I really enjoyed City of Bones and I'd like to read the rest of the series.  It'll be interesting to see how they turn it into a film and even though it's another YA series, it's unlike any I've read. 

I love working on my genealogy, Janet!  It's very engrossing, I agree.  You can find someone and just keep going back further and further in time.  It's the best!  I use Ancestry.com as well as Rootsweb and many other sites.  What do you use?

Frankie, I haven't heard of a dog and Palo Alto, but it's a city in California and also the name of James Franco's book :D.  Weave sent it to me and I'm looking forward to reading it this year!

Hope you have a happy reading year! I completely understand what you mean when you say about life getting in the way of reading.

T

I love working on my genealogy, Janet!  It's very engrossing, I agree.  You can find someone and just keep going back further and further in time.  It's the best!  I use Ancestry.com as well as Rootsweb and many other sites.  What do you use?

I use Ancestry.co.uk. :)   I also use the forum rootschat.com, which is marvellous! :D   I discovered a cousin (several times removed) in Minnesota on Ancestry.co.uk and she does remarkable research on one branch of my family (on my Mum's side) and has put me in touch with other distant cousins and we all pool our resources - it's great!

Frankie, I haven't heard of a dog and Palo Alto, but it's a city in California and also the name of James Franco's book :D.  Weave sent it to me and I'm looking forward to reading it this year!

Maybe the doggies played in that city in California then :D I've just realised who James Franco is, good stuff :D I hope there are pictures :giggle:

Wouldn't it be awesome if you found out that one of you were related to someone else on this forum! :D

Ooh, that would be mind-blowing, Devi! I want to start properly doing my family tree soon. My Dad has recently received some stuff from an aunty, which I hope will help me.

Happy reading in 2013, Peacefield. I loved Nerd Do Well, and I'm sure you will too. Miss Peregrine is also an excellent read. :)

I use Ancestry.co.uk. :)   I also use the forum rootschat.com, which is marvellous! :D   I discovered a cousin (several times removed) in Minnesota on Ancestry.co.uk and she does remarkable research on one branch of my family (on my Mum's side) and has put me in touch with other distant cousins and we all pool our resources - it's great!

OOOOH, I'll have to look up Rootschat, Janet.  I love chatting about family history!!  How cool that you connected with a cousin - I'm in MN too, so you never know! :lol: I don't know if you're originally from Somerset, but one of my ancestors was from Ash.  In fact, hopefully in a few years I'll be able to come visit since my English relatives came from Somerset and Dorset.

It would be so neat if we found distant relatives here, Devi!  Those kind of connections are mind-blowing, just like Kylie said :D.  Maybe we should start a genealogy thread, huh?

I can't wait to read Simon Pegg's book, Kylie, and Miss Peregrine, which is yet another gift from Weave.

OOOOH, I'll have to look up Rootschat, Janet.  I love chatting about family history!!  How cool that you connected with a cousin - I'm in MN too, so you never know! :lol: I don't know if you're originally from Somerset, but one of my ancestors was from Ash.  In fact, hopefully in a few years I'll be able to come visit since my English relatives came from Somerset and Dorset.

I'm not from Somerset - I was born in a county in the East of England called Kent - I moved here when I got married. :)  Door to door I'm about a 3 hour drive from where I grew up (not a long way in the US, but it feels a long way in the UK  :lol:  ).   However through my research I discovered that my G-G-Grandfather was born 3 miles from where I live now, and my G-G-Grandmother just 2 miles from here.  :o

Moon (my maiden name) is a local name and I used to joke that I might be related to people living locally, but we had no idea our Moons hailed from this neck of the woods when I started my research!  Spooky!

I'm not from Somerset - I was born in a county in the East of England called Kent - I moved here when I got married. :)  Door to door I'm about a 3 hour drive from where I grew up (not a long way in the US, but it feels a long way in the UK  :lol:  ).   However through my research I discovered that my G-G-Grandfather was born 3 miles from where I live now, and my G-G-Grandmother just 2 miles from here.  :o

Moon (my maiden name) is a local name and I used to joke that I might be related to people living locally, but we had no idea our Moons hailed from this neck of the woods when I started my research!  Spooky!

That's so cool you ended up moving so near the places where your G-G-Grandparents were born, Janet!  It's funny how things happen like that. 

Do you think it'd be worthwhile for me to join Rootschat?  I know it's a UK-centered forum and while my paternal grandmother was 100% English, her ancestors came to the US in the early 1600's so I'd have to go awfully far back to find more info.  You never know, though, I'm always amazed at what I find out when I do my research! :D  Are you known as Janet on that forum as well?

Hey guys!  I've managed to read about 100 pages of Remarkable Creatures this month so I should be on track to finish it by March 1st :D.

Yesterday in the mail I received The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson from Weave.  It was in a fabulous birthday package with enough Tunnock's tea cakes and wafers to last me oh, maybe a week :lol:  YUM!! 

I also received a Barnes & Noble gift card from my friends tonight so I plan on using that very soon!

A Happy Birthday wish Peace -- sorry I must have missed it before !

Sounds as if you got some nice gifts .Enjoy the books and the gift card .

I loved Remarkable Creatures. Good story !

I also have the 100 year old man waiting in the wings. :)

That's so cool you ended up moving so near the places where your G-G-Grandparents were born, Janet!  It's funny how things happen like that. 

Do you think it'd be worthwhile for me to join Rootschat?  I know it's a UK-centered forum and while my paternal grandmother was 100% English, her ancestors came to the US in the early 1600's so I'd have to go awfully far back to find more info.  You never know, though, I'm always amazed at what I find out when I do my research! :D  Are you known as Janet on that forum as well?

There are some pretty clever researchers on it (far better at it than me!) and you might find relatives - you never know.  I'm Bagpuss_Janet on there!  :D

ETA: Sorry for the late reply

Edited by Janet

Thanks, everyone!  I'm very much looking forward to reading my selection of books this year :D

I'll plan on joining Rootschat today/tonight Janet and will definitely look for you there!  You never know, you and I might be distantly related! :lol: