Peacefield's Reads 2013

Peacefield

Well, I almost made my February quota of 1 book read a month :lol: I finished Remarkable Creatures on Sunday morning.  It was a lovely little read but it left me wanting to read something fast paced and/or funny.

I don't think this was on my intial TBR list for the year, but last night I started Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.  It felt like it was the perfect next book for me once I started reading it so here we go! :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

post-8818-0-76485400-1363353384_thumb.jpg

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

Synopsis via Powell's Books:

On the windswept, fossil-strewn beaches of the English coast, poor and uneducated Mary Anning learns that she has a unique gift: "the eye" to spot fossils no one else can see. When she uncovers an unusual fossilized skeleton in the cliffs near her home, she sets the religious community on edge, the townspeople to gossip, and the scientific world alight. After enduring bitter cold, thunderstorms, and landslips, her challenges only grow when she falls in love with an impossible man.

Mary soon finds an unlikely champion in prickly Elizabeth Philpot, a middle-class spinster who shares her passion for scouring the beaches. Their relationship strikes a delicate balance between fierce loyalty, mutual appreciation, and barely suppressed envy, but ultimately turns out to be their greatest asset.

My thoughts:

What I liked most about this book was the unique and layered friendship between Mary and Elizabeth, and that I was able to witness it change and grow.  Mary took on the role of daughter, friend, fellow fossil-hunter, teacher and rival in love.  Elizabeth also became Mary's teacher and champion, and together they made great discoveries and challenged authorities of the church and other disbelievers.

Chevalier has a wonderful way of painting the perfect picture, both of the landscape and the extraordinary fossils that Mary and Elizabeth were able to uncover on the beaches of Lyme-Regis.  I don't know a lot about pre-historic dinosaurs, but I definitely widened my scope of knowledge by the time I finished the book.  Before I read it I had no idea that Mary Anning existed and the role she played in making such great discoveries. 

Very highly recommended, you guys! :D

Peace

So glad you enjoyed Remarkable Creatures. I found it really interesting myself . I'm like you, I have very little knowledge about fossils, etc ,so it was a good subject to learn a bit more about . The way the ladie's relationship came together was quite interesting too .

I keep saying I'm gonna read some other Chevalier books,but I've just never gotten around to it yet .

W

I don't think this was on my intial TBR list for the year, but last night I started Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.  It felt like it was the perfect next book for me once I started reading it so here we go! :D

This is my favorite by Kinsella, if you don't count the Shopaholic series! :) I hope you enjoyed the book :)

Hey Peace, I read somewhere that the Franco dude got his own star in the ... star walk path kinda thingy! :D I can't remember what's it's called at the moment. And I'm not actually sure if you guys have more than one of those in the States. But how cool was that for him?! He's still very young, you know!

Glad to hear you enjoyed Remarkable Creatures, peacefield.  One of Chevalier's better books I think.  I think she's fairly recently published a new book too, but haven't had chance to look it up yet, so maybe I'll do that later today. :)

It's called The Last Runaway ; i heard her talking about it on Woman's Hour during the week & have added it to my wishlist  :smile:

Julie: I highly recommend Girl with a Pearl Earring and The Lady and the Unicorn if you want to read more Chevalier :D

I've heard about The Last Runaway and have added it to my wish list too!

Wow, Frankie, Franco got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame already?  Cool!  He is young, so that's neat.  We only have one walk of fame and it's in Hollywood, CA, running down Hollywood Blvd.  It's also where the Grauman's Chinese Theatre is and all the hand and foot prints of celebrities in the cement :D.  It's a fun place to visit!

Frankie, did you read Shopaholic and Baby?  That's one Kinsella I've not read aside from the one I'm reading now, which I'm thoroughly enjoying, btw.

I liked Shopaholic and Baby, imo it's just as good as the other Shopaholic books. After that one, there is Mini-Shopaholic (also great, imo). I'm unsure if more books are planned. I'm glad you're enjoying Twenties Girl :).

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, Marcia, m'dear! C'est moi, your old pal Mac! Two things: Jo (she of whom I have written to you regarding) met Cassandra Clare a few months ago. Apparently quite a pleasant lady; have you started The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle yet? I cannot wait for you to read that!

Big love, mate. x

You're welcome, Julie! :D

Mac my man!  How goes it?  You're back on the board; this pleases me!  How cool that Jo was able to meet Cassandra Clare :D.  I take it she's a fan?  I plan on sometime reading more of her books.  I have not yet started Bird Chronicle, but I'm planning on making it my May read so I'll let you and Weave know what I think since you guys are his biggest fans!

I finished Twenties Girl and have continued on my 'fluff' journey by starting Divergent this weekend from Veronica Roth.  It's OH SO good!

Glad you're enjoying Divergent Peace, both myself and two of my kids have loved it, we also enjoyed the second in the trilogy, Insurgent. We're all very much looking forward to 'Detergent' later this year to finish the story off, I think I may need to buy more than one copy when it is released! :D

Glad you're enjoying Divergent Peace, both myself and two of my kids have loved it, we also enjoyed the second in the trilogy, Insurgent. We're all very much looking forward to 'Detergent' later this year to finish the story off, I think I may need to buy more than one copy when it is released! :D

That's great to hear!  I can't wait to read more.  Did you know they are making a film of Divergent which is due out in 2014?  All I know right now is that Theo James has been cast, which means I'm automatically going to see it! ;)

Theo James is a British actor who's currently in the US TV show 'Golden Boy.'  IMDB says he's also been in series 'Room at the Top,' 'Case Sensitive' and 'Bedlam.'  He's a cutie, though, and he's going to be playing Four in Divergent! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Divergent over the weekend and LOVED it!  Such a thought-provoking read.  I've added it to my ever-growing list of reviews I need to write :blush2:.

I started Peter Robinson's Before the Poison on Monday.  I felt like a creepy, ghost story type of read and it's fitting the bill nicely so far!  So much so that I decided to stop reading last night when it got dark outside :lol:

I finished Divergent over the weekend and LOVED it!  Such a thought-provoking read.  I've added it to my ever-growing list of reviews I need to write :blush2:.

Glad you enjoyed it Peace, will you go on to Insurgent next?  Allegiant, the third in the series will be out in October. :_

That's good to know about Allegiant, Chalie, thanks! :D

Yes I'll eventually read Insurgent, but I'll probably wait until it comes out in paperback unless I find a good used hard cover.  I'm curious to see what happens next in the world of Tris, Tobias and Caleb!

I read a good chunk more of Before the Poison last night, and am very much enjoying the way Peter Robinson wrote it.  The majority of the book is set during 2010 but frequently placed is snippets of one long article written after a murder which happened in 1953.  Both time periods and events are connected which makes everything come together nicely.

• 1 month later...

I finished Before the Poison just before it was time for June!  While I enjoyed it, in later parts of the book I was looking for a little more 'suspense' that it seemed to start out with.  It was very interesting, though, going back to the 40's and reading the diary of the accused murderess who was a Queen Alexandra's Royal Army nurse, then reading about a man in 2010 trying to clear her name.

I started Generation Dead by Daniel Waters yesterday, which will be my June read.  Although at the rate I'm going I'll probably be finished before the month is out.  Watch, I just jinxed myself... :doh: 

So far so good, Chalie! :D  I'll keep you posted.

I was looking through a summer book list in the local paper this morning, and a review caught my eye of Fear in the Sunlight by Nicola Upson.  It's an historical mystery (my favorite kind), and I think I might pick it up.  Has anyone else read it?