The last film you saw - 2013

Lilywhite

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane Eyre. They missed quite a lot out but I think it was a good effort and quite atmospheric. Both Jane and Rochester were convincing.

Also watched Life Of Brian. The kids love this film and despite the odd swearword I think it is a good one for making them think and a lot of fun.

Edited by vodkafan

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs the world & The Adjustment Bureau over the weekend. I really enjoyed both, although two more different films you probably couldn't pick!

Which version of Jane Eyre was it? As far as I know, it's been made into a film several times.

I like Life of Brian, though it's perhaps not my favourite Monty Python film.

It was the latest one with Mia Wasikowska. 

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs the world & The Adjustment Bureau over the weekend. I really enjoyed both, although two more different films you probably couldn't pick!

That's true!

It was the latest one with Mia Wasikowska.

x

I haven't seen that one yet, though I think I have recorded it a while ago (but our satellite hasn't been recording so well lately, so I'm not sure if it worked). I'm glad to hear you liked it :).

I haven't seen that one. I'm not sure which one I saw, it's been so long that I don't remember who was in it :blush: (to be honest, at the time I didn't really care about that, I just liked the film). I have the TV mini-series from 1983 on my shelf but I haven't watched it yet.

I haven't seen that one. I'm not sure which one I saw, it's been so long that I don't remember who was in it :blush: (to be honest, at the time I didn't really care about that, I just liked the film). I have the TV mini-series from 1983 on my shelf but I haven't watched it yet.

You must mean the adaptation staring Timothy Dalton! I haven't seen that one but have seen him in Wuthering Heights. He doesn't look like Heathcliff however his acting was great!

Jane Eyre. They missed quite a lot out but I think it was a good effort and quite atmospheric. Both Jane and Rochester were convincing.

Also watched Life Of Brian. The kids love this film and despite the odd swearword I think it is a good one for making them think and a lot of fun.

You must mean the adaptation staring Timothy Dalton! I haven't seen that one but have seen him in Wuthering Heights. He doesn't look like Heathcliff however his acting was great!

My absolute favorite, and the most accurate rendition of the book, IMO, is the Timothy Dalton version.  He is a fantastic actor, and brought off Rochester perfectly. 

The latest one was gorgeous, but soooooo incomplete!  Half the story was missing, hence much of the motivation was gone. 

A Good Day to Die Hard, tragically bad. Not even passable for a mindless action film like Die Hard 4.

Hah, I have to laugh.  We saw the latest Die Hard a while back, and yes, it is more or less as you say.  However.  I still loved it, the scenes of Helen Mirren shooting out of both car windows was absolutely priceless!  And when she told the young spy to "show me what you can do...".  I hadda love it!    Anthony Hopkins character was well done also.  Double-double! :)

:giggle2:

Edited by pontalba

Hah, I have to laugh.  We saw the latest Die Hard a while back, and yes, it is more or less as you say.  However.  I still loved it, the scenes of Helen Mirren shooting out of both car windows was absolutely priceless!  And when she told the young spy to "show me what you can do...".  I hadda love it!    Anthony Hopkins character was well done also.  Double-double! :)

I think Pontabla's confusing Red 2, with Die Hard 5. 

I think Pontabla's confusing Red 2, with Die Hard 5. 

I was gonna say, I can't remember Helen Mirren in it...  :blush2:

I saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film yesterday. I also own the TV series which I also really like. I quite enjoy both, I think both have their strong and weaker points.

I prefer the TV series, the film is OK but Mos Def is awful as Ford Prefect, he just mumbles every line and all the jokes get lost. Sam Rockwell is good though, as is Alan Rickman.

Edited by Timstar

Dex wrote:  I think Pontabla's confusing Red 2, with Die Hard 5. 

I was gonna say, I can't remember Helen Mirren in it...  :blush2:

ARRRGGGGGG!  You are right!   Gad Zooks.  Sorry 'bout that! :blush2:  :doh:

My absolute favorite, and the most accurate rendition of the book, IMO, is the Timothy Dalton version.  He is a fantastic actor, and brought off Rochester perfectly. 

The latest one was gorgeous, but soooooo incomplete!  Half the story was missing, hence much of the motivation was gone. 

You're right .. he's the best Rochester I've seen yet (by a million miles) .. and I thought Zelah Clarke was very good as Jane too (though it ended her career apparently :o .. she never got offered anything else and had to retire.)

You're right .. he's the best Rochester I've seen yet (by a million miles) .. and I thought Zelah Clarke was very good as Jane too (though it ended her career apparently :o .. she never got offered anything else and had to retire.)

I've only seen the BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson, which I thought was fantastic.  I did catch a bit of one on ITV3 this afternoon, with Samantha Morton and Ciarán Hinds - normally I love both of them, but after only a few minutes of this one, I didn't like either of them as the leads, and turned it off.

I've only seen the BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson, which I thought was fantastic.  I did catch a bit of one on ITV3 this afternoon, with Samantha Morton and Ciarán Hinds - normally I love both of them, but after only a few minutes of this one, I didn't like either of them as the leads, and turned it off.

Yes .. I totally agree about Ciaran and Samantha .. really disappointing. I really liked the Toby Stephens/Ruth Wilson one too but, for me, Timothy had the edge over Toby. It's worth seeing if you come across it Claire .. the sets are a bit creaky etc .. like the old Jane Austen ones from the 80's but I thought he especially was phenomenal in it. Have you seen the old one with Joan Fontaine and Orson (I won't say cart :giggle: that's an old joke) Welles? ... with a very young Elizabeth Taylor playing Jane's friend Helen. It's not particularly faithful but I still like watching it .. I like all old movies :blush2: