Ian's reading 2013

ian

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmonds. 

I sometimes struggle with Sci-Fi and fantasy. Some Sci-Fi concentrates too much on accurate science and the explanation of it, to the detriment of story for my liking. Nevertheless, two of my favourite books of all time are LOTR and The Many-colored land series.  Now, I have to add Hyperion to that list. A fantastic story (or should that be 7 stories, that somehow manage to cross genres and cover every available emotion.  I don't think I can say much more, I don't think I have the words to do it justice. I loved this book, and if you like good, exciting sci-fi, with a healthy dose of believable science, then read this book. As it is, I need to get the follow up PDQ! 

In case it's not obvious already - I'll give this book 5 out of 5

Edited by ian

The problem with reading such absorbing, excellent books as Hyperion...... what to read next! Anything is going to be a bit of a disappointment, so, the way I figure it, I need to go comfortably low brow & entertainingly guilty pleasure.( That sentence makes no sense, but you know what I mean, hopefully!!)  So the next Lee Child book it is! (The Hard Way)

I got a marathon reading session in on Saturday, courtesy of my son's chess commitments, so was able to finish "The Hard Way" and start the next one "Bad Luck & Trouble".

As I expected, a bit disappointing. Lee Child writes well enough for the thriller genre, but when he tries to put in a bit of mystery, it fails (in my opinion anyway) as it's always blindingly obvious who the real bad guy is etc. Oh well, it certainly passed what would have otherwise been a boring wait around. Plus, you don't want to be reading deep, thoughtful novels when you have to stop every fifteen minutes to chase after two kids between chess games! I'll give it 3 out of 5.

Starting the next Reacher book, seemed like the obvious thing to do.

Finished "Bad Luck and Trouble last night. I enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous. Maybe because it was a much more straightforward story. There are bad guys up to no good. Reacher sorts them out. What's not to like?! 

In this particular book, one member of Reacher's old unit has been found dead, and others are missing. He put's together the rest he can find, and goes to work finding out who killed his friend, and why. 

As I say, a straightforward storyline, with some nice touches. It's always satisfying (to me anyway) when bad guys get their comeuppence, and this boo has some fairly inventive ways of despatching them!

4 out of 5. 

As it was on my Kindle ready to go, it made sense to carry on with the Lee Child - so "Nothing to lose" is my next book.

I started reading Bad Luck and Trouble when I was on a plane to Canada, got distracted, and never finished it.  It's still on the shelf, looking a bit battered :lol:  Shall have to give it another go :smile:

I started reading Bad Luck and Trouble when I was on a plane to Canada, got distracted, and never finished it.  It's still on the shelf, looking a bit battered :lol:  Shall have to give it another go :smile:

Probably just as well, There are some parts that might be a bit uncomfortable if you're on a plane! Then again, maybe that's just me - I'm terrified of flying!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished "Nothing to lose" which I enjoyed. With everything else going on, I have really needed to escape into an easy, light read, and Lee Child's book certainly deliver on that score.

Still, after 3 on the bounce, I felt in need of a slight change, so I picked up "Live Wire" by Harlen Coben, which has forlornly sat on my TBR for about a year now. Actually, I'm about 80% through it now, and after a slow start, I've got into it

Finished "Live Wire" which I enjoyed. Didn't realise it was part of a series, which explains perhaps why I took a while to get into it at the start. Had a slight problem with the ending (which I won't ruin here) as I felt it was a little hard to swallow. Still, that's a minor gripe. I'll still give it 4 out of 5.

I've just finished reading "The Great Gatsby".  Hmm. I have to separate my thoughts on this really. On the one hand, I can see that this is a very well-written book. The story is very well told; it's a good story line and manages to convey the essence of the era of 1920's New York very effectively. 

On the other hand, I found it difficult to "like" this book. I didn't feel connected to any of the main characters, and struggled to feel sorry for them. 

I'm glad I read it, but I'm not sure I would bother to re-read it

3 out of 5.

Interesting review, Ian.  I felt the same about the book when I read it in my late teens, but I with my favourite director bringing out a new film adaptation this year, I wonder whether to try it again in case I get along with it better now that I'm older.

I'm a bit behind with my log here. Since I last posted I've read "The Broken Window" by Jeffery Deaver. This is one of his Lincoln Rhyme series. I'd normally prefer to read series like this is order, but this was given to me by a collegue at work who knew I would like it, and I'm not going to turn down a good book simply because it's not in the right order!

For those familiar with Deaver's books and the Rhyme series....well it's more of the same really. You know you're going to to be led by the nose to plenty of red herrings and false trails.

The basic storyline involves a killer who is able to pick his victims by gathering data about them from their online information and shopping, to not only track them, but to pick a suitable patsy to plant evidence and mis-direct the police.

After reading quite a few of Deaver's books, I can't help but try to second guess the killers identity. Other than sucessfully ignoring the most obvious suspects, I always fail. A good read - 4 out of 5.

I'm now reading a book that's been on my TBR for ages - Midnight by Stephen Leather

Midnight by Stephen Leather.

Jack Nightingale found it hard enough to save lives when he was a cop. Now he needs to save a soul - his sister's. But to save her he has to find her and they've been seperated since birth. When everyone Jack talks to about his sister dies horribly, he realises that someone, or something, is determined to keep them apart. If he's going to save his sister, he's going to have to do what he does best - negotiate.

I read a lot of thrillers. They're not always the most insightful or though-provoking books you can choose to read, but they are at least entertaining. I felt that way about Dan Brown: enjoyable whilst reading, but leaves an empty, unsatisfied feeling almost as soon as you finish. I thought Da Vinci Code was shallow, but this book takes shallowness to new, well, depths! :P

What didn't help was I probably should have read the first book in the series first. There is also obviously a next book, given how abruptly this one finishes. The story seems to keep repeating itself. This is only my first Stephen Leather, so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and try another. I won't be going out of my way to find one though.

2 out of 5

Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay

The worst day of Tim Blake's life started out with him making breakfast for his seventeen-year-old daughter Sydney. Syd was staying with him while she worked a summer job - even if he wasn't entirely sure what her job at the Just Inn Time motel actually was - and Tim hoped this quality father-daughter time would somehow help her deal with his divorce. When she didn't arrive home at her usual time, he thought she'd probably gone to the mall to hang with her friends. When she didn't answer her phone he began to worry. When she didn't come home at all, he began to panic. And when the people at the motel said they had no Sydney Blake working there, and never had, he began to see his life going into freefall.

If she hadn't been working at the motel every day, what had she been doing? Something she couldn't - or wouldn't - tell her own father about? To find his daughter Tim doesn't need to simply track her down - he needs to know who she really was, and what could have made her step out of her own life without leaving a trace.

Only one thing has him convinced the worst hasn't already happened: the fact that some very scary people seem just as eager as he is to find her. The question is: who's going to find her first?

My Thoughts

A bit of a slow start, and I thought I wasn't going to enjoy this book. However, it manages to rack up the tension and the helplessness of the main character very effectively, whilst all the other characters are suitably suspiscious. There are plenty of surprises and twists that I certainly didn't see coming. I give it 4 out of 5.

I think I might have to add this one to my wishlist. I haven't read a good thriller in awhile.

Edited by Devi

Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz

Odd Thomas see dead people. They cannot speak to him nor do him harm; but still, it's innerving, living between two worlds, facing our darkest fears.

Just off California's Paficic Coast Highway stands Roseland: a mansion, protected by high walls. Odd finds refuge there, with the very pregnant, and very mysterious, Annamaria.

But the house contains terrible and bloody secrets. It is haunted by lingering spirits, and by nameless beasts which lurk in the grounds, riding the shifting tides of time.

Lately, Odd has suffered dreams of doom and terror. Roseland has welcomed him in; but will it ever let him leave.

My thoughts.

The first bok was great, the second pretty good. It's gone downhill since there, with Odd hours being very dissatisfying. After a shaky start however, this book puts the series right back on track. Don't expect any any great change in style here - this is a Dean Koontz book, so you know what to expect. And the questions posed at the end of the first book still remain unanswered, but the story rattles along at good pace, and keeps you interested; something the last two failed to do. 

Thank you Mr Koontz  - you have restored my faith in your writing. For now.

4 out of 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've read a couple of Lee Child since I last posted on here - "Gone Tomorrow" & "61 hours". Both were good, without being great. I actually feel like my reading mojo is waning a little at the moment, so I don't know whether to take a little break or not. Either that or reach for something from a completely different genre....

I thought Gone Tomorrow was pretty poor, but I liked 61 Hours a lot.  I think you can have too much Lee Child, though, so taking a break is probably a good idea! :smile:

We were going through our son's bedroom the other weekend, which meant we had to move his bookcase (mostly filled with Nintendo DS games). In it I came across this book. I'd never heard of it before, but I am a fan of this writer. So given the state of my reading mojo, I thought now was the best time to give it a go.

Nick and the Glimmung by Philip K Dick.

His only children's book, published about 5 years after his death. It tells the story of Nick and his family, who are forced to leave Earth as they illegally own a cat. They go to Plowman's planet, where the native lifeforms are locked in the middle of a war with each other.

It's a very short book, I practically read it in one sitting, and it has some familiar themes that Dick brought to his adult fiction; Illegal pet ownership, overcrowding of earth, colonisation of other planets. There are also some quite funny parts, particularly the exchanges between Nick and the Spiddles. MY only gripe would be that it's difficult to see what age group he was writing for. Some of the words used would go over the top of younger childrens heads, but the story itself is quite simplistic.

As always with Dick though, it's the ideas within the book that amaze me. He had such a fertile imagination. I'm glad I found and read this book