Ian's reading 2013

ian

I'm starting the year with My Christmas present - The Twelve by Justin Cronin, which is the follow up to The Passage. I'm about 40 pages in now, and the only comment I will make at the moment is don't try to read this before you read the first book, or you won't have a clue what's going on.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Are we allowed to comment already? :hide: If not, just say the word and I'll delete this post! :D)

Happy reading in 2013, ian! :) May you find many a literary gems in your bookcases!

Commenting is positively encouraged here! I only received the one "real" book for Christmas, but my brother also put together for me a CD of Kindle books that are free, but it saves me the bother of downloading them. It also means I don't have to spend any money at Amazon, who are black-listed by me at the moment, along with Starbucks due to their tax avoidance schemes

That's real nice of your brother :) Which books are on the CDs?

Well, pretty much all the Dickens & Jane Austen, The Great Gatsby (which I haven't read, so I'll be reading that soon), Mark Twain, plus he added some early Stephen King, knowing how much I like them. Loads more, but at the moment I can't remember.

I'm starting the year with My Christmas present - The Twelve by Justin Cronin, which is the follow up to The Passage. I'm about 40 pages in now, and the only comment I will make at the moment is don't try to read this before you read the first book, or you won't have a clue what's going on.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this, Ian, even though I haven't read The Passage yet!

I only received the one "real" book for Christmas, but my brother also put together for me a CD of Kindle books that are free, but it saves me the bother of downloading them. It also means I don't have to spend any money at Amazon, who are black-listed by me at the moment, along with Starbucks due to their tax avoidance schemes

That's a really thoughtful present! :)

Well, pretty much all the Dickens & Jane Austen, The Great Gatsby (which I haven't read, so I'll be reading that soon), Mark Twain, plus he added some early Stephen King, knowing how much I like them. Loads more, but at the moment I can't remember.

Well Dickens is always good as is Jane Austen, Stephen King is good maybe 80% of the time, and The Great Gatsby is great :D Mark Twain I haven't.. Oh actually I have read one book by him, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and it was pretty good. I'd say you have a lot of great reads ahead of you on that CD :smile2:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this, Ian, even though I haven't read The Passage yet!

That's a really thoughtful present! :)

I'm about three-quarters through it at the moment and I am enjoying it; possibly not as much as The Passage, but very enjoyable nevertheless. I'll put a proper review when I've finished (my New Year resolution is to try and write proper reviews of the books I read).

Oh Ian, please please read The Great Gatsby! I love that book so much :) Actually I love all of Fitzgerald's work...he always wrote about disappointment and disillusion, but he always did it so beautifully.

Anyway, if and when you do read it, I look forward to reading your thoughts on it!

I've finished "The Twelve" (and put my thoughts on a seperate thread). Picking completely at random from my now vast TBR pile (kindle) I've come up with Dombey & Son by Charles Dickens. Not one of his I've read before.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd better post in here as it's been a while. Still reading Dombey & Son, but it's quite a big book, so I'm still only 66% through according to the Kindle. Enjoying it very much!

Finally finished Dombey & Son! Hugely enjoyable, with some great comic characters as well and a great storyline revolving around the themes of arranged marriage and child neglect. Classic Dickens.

I need a bit of a change of style after such a long book, so I'm going for a recent charity stall purchase - The Summons by John Grisham

• 2 weeks later...

Finished "The Summons" by John Grisham. Not particularly impressed;I couldn't really get to like the main character who  I thought he was a bit weak and indecisive. Also, it seemed to take a very long time for anything of real note to happen. All of the main action occurs in the last quarter of the book. The ending is very unusual though - it left me unsure as to whether I like it! I certainly wasn't expecting to be left up in the air like that. (I'll say no more, I don't want to spoil).

All in all, I can only give it 3 out of 5.

I have another Grisham, however - "The King of Torts". Hope this one is a little better.

I don't think I've read The Summons but I've read a few other books by John Grisham. Unfortunately I don't know the English title and tbh I don't remember the Dutch title (I read them in Dutch when I was younger). The Client was my favourite (that's the only one whose title I remember). I've recently purchased some used John Grisham books (in English) and look forward to reading them.

Edited by Athena

Finished "The King of Torts". I enjoyed this one much more than The Summons. A great storyline about a young lawyer who becomes seduced by greed as he leaves Public Defence, sets up his own firm and sues large corporations in so-called class actions or mass-torts. I learned quite a lot about the American legal system. A minor charactor from The summons pops up in this too - Patton French. A charactor you love to hate as he is so over the top greedy - almost a caricature of a greedy lawyer.

I give this 4 out of 5.

Time for a complete change of genre - so I'm reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Time for a complete change of genre - so I'm reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons

I've read this book in Dutch and I liked it a lot! I've bought it in English, so I can also read the original version. It's on my TBR list, it's a big book (I have the Hyberion Omnibus) so I haven't started it yet. After that, I want to read the Endymion Omnibus, which continues the story but I haven't read it yet. If my TBR-soon pile wasn't big already I would totally add it now! Hmm, I'll add it and see when the mood strikes me, the pile doesn't contain any science-fiction yet so..

EDIT: I also like John Grissam books btw, I didn't realise The King of Torts was by him, I'm used to the Dutch titles since my parents have read his work in Dutch. I recently bought some books by him on Ebay, I can't remember which ones (they're at my boyfriends' house), so I look forward to read more of his work when he brings the books next time I see him.

Edited by Athena

I have a copy of The King Of Torts it's not usually my sort of thing but a friend passed it on to me tbh i didn't think i'd get round to reading it but reading your review i shall have to dig it out  :smile:

Hyperion is one of my favourite books, Ian.  I hope you enjoy it :smile:

It's partly on your recommendation that I'm reading it now. I'm about halfway through now, and it's great!