Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I like Joe Applecrumble :D so I might like it and what's more I might understand it. Great review Steve :) .. I am noting down the version .. the audiobook might be the way to go for me.

I believe you've written a longer review than me :D .. you stayed on subject though (Brad Pitt could have led you astray but you side stepped him) and didn't bring food into it so fair play :clapping:

Hmm... an epic war fantasy... how is that 'trying different genres' going for you Steve? :P

To be fair, I did point that out in the review :lol:

What's next on the list?

I'm about two thirds of the way through A Journey to the Centre of the Earth now :smile:

I'm about two thirds of the way through A Journey to the Centre of the Earth now smile.gif

Is it much like the classic film with James Mason, Steve? I loved that film when I was a kid. Always felt sorry for the duck.

Edited by vodkafan

Is it much like the classic film with James Mason, Steve? I loved that film when I was a kid. Always felt sorry for the duck.

I loved it when I was a kid, too, but I haven't seen it since then and can't remember it in detail. It certainly involves a volcano in Iceland :smile:

Book #4: A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

JulesVerne_zps18e91c4a.jpg

From Amazon:

The father of science fiction, Jules Verne, invites you to join the intrepid and eccentric Professor Liedenbrock and his companions on a thrilling and dramatic expedition as they travel down a secret tunnel in a volcano in Iceland on a journey which will lead them to the centre of the earth.

Thoughts:

I thought the start of this story was great fun. Narrated by Axel, nephew of Professor Liedenbrock, the early chapters deal with the decoding of a code found within the pages of a journal that belonged to Arne Saknussemm, a 16th century Icelandic alchemist. You can guess from the title exactly what the code might contain. Axel, in love and certain that the code is nonsense, is not very keen on the idea of being dragged on this journey by his abrasive and obsessive uncle. There is some nice humour in these early stages, and the preparations for the journey and the initial trip to Iceland make for a fun read.

Strangely, though, once they had met up with their Icelandic guide, Hans, and ventured into the depths, I started to find the story less interesting and a bit of a chore to read. Axel becomes increasingly morose, which is something I struggle with when stories are written in the first person. Coupled with the frequent digressions into descriptions of rock, I found my attention wandering more and more frequently. One thing that did amuse and annoy in equal measure were the frequent footnotes courtesy of the translator, who was determined to point out every time Verne's scientific ponderings were incorrect. Totally unnecessary, with the unfortunate side effect of also pulling you out of the story. The contrived and somewhat rushed ending turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I suspect I just wasn't in the mood for this story - and am probably not giving it a fair crack - but I had figured, after a long fantasy novel and an epic poem, something short and to the point was needed. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't this.

6/10

Book #4: A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

JulesVerne_zps18e91c4a.jpg

Hello Karsa :)

I didn't like this book much - and struggled to complete it when I read it last year.

But oh, what a gorgeous cover!

Beautiful book ! Love the cover .. I read all of Verne's books as a kid ,very good stories,but you're probably right on the having to be in the right mood to thoroughly enjoy them . :)

Hi Julie, yes, I thought I'd love reading it. There's no doubting the man's imagination. I may give it another go in the future and see if my opinion changes :smile:

Hello Karsa :)

I didn't like this book much - and struggled to complete it when I read it last year.

But oh, what a gorgeous cover!

Hi Bree - I'm glad it wasn't just me who didn't enjoy it, then :smile: Yes, it's a beautiful edition. Weighs a ton, though! :D

Okay, here are my choicest books for you:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

"Dickens’ greatest historical novel traces the private lives of a group of people caught up in the cataclysm of the French Revolution and the Terror. ‘The best story I have written’ was Dickens’ own verdict on A Tale of Two Cities, and the reader is unlikely to disagree with this judgement of a story which combines historical fact with the author’s unsurpassed genius for poignant tales of human suffering, self-sacrifice, and redemption."

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

"Running with Scissors is the true story of a boy whose mother (a poet with delusions of Anne Sexton) gave him away to be raised by her unorthodox psychiatrist who bore a striking resemblance to Santa Claus [...] The funny, harrowing and bestselling account of an ordinary boy’s survival under the most extraordinary circumstances."

The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

"Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

This improbable story of Christopher's quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighborhood dog makes for one of the most captivating, unusual, and widely heralded novels in recent years."

Q&A by Vikas Swarup

"Vikas Swarup's spectacular debut novel opens in a jail cell in Mumbai, India, where Ram Mohammad Thomas is being held after correctly answering all twelve questions on India's biggest quiz show, Who Will Win a Billion? It is hard to believe that a poor orphan who has never read a newspaper or gone to school could win such a contest. But through a series of exhilarating tales Ram explains to his lawyer how episodes in his life gave him the answer to each question."

Marathon Man by William Goldman

"Tom "Babe" Levy is a runner in every sense: racing tirelessly toward his goals of athletic and academic excellence--and endlessly away from the specter of his famous father's scandal-driven suicide. But an unexpected visit from his beloved older brother will set in motion a chain of events that plunge Babe into a vortex of terror, treachery, and murder--and force him into a race for his life . . ."

Beyond the Great Indoors by Ingvar Ambjørnsen

"Elling has a wildly overactive imagination and has been molly-coddled by his mother all his life, so when she dies he is left completely incapable of taking care of himself. After a stint in the very helpful Broynes Rehabilitation Centre, Elling returns to Oslo with his room-mate Kjell Bjarne in tow. Together the odd couple embark on a free-spirited new life."

Enjoy! :smile2: