Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coincidentally, I`m wondering if I should not buy any books till my TBR list is under 600, so I feel your pain. :giggle2:

If you'd said 690 I would've taken you seriously :giggle2:

And did I mention it`s the Abbey fair this weekend and they always have a book stall ? :doh:

:lol:

I seem to have discovered a load of books I want to buy now.  I don't want to abandon the plan, but reducing the TBR pile to 50 suddenly seems more problematic than it should be :rolleyes::D

Plus I was planning on starting my big Malazan re-read when I got it down to 50, and I really want to do that, too :rolleyes:

:lol:

I seem to have discovered a load of books I want to buy now

Buy now or read now ? :smile:

I have `wish list` books which I`ll buy eventually, but I know if I get them now, they`ll just go on the pile instead of immediately being read. :doh:

Buy now or read now ? :smile:

Both! :lol:

I have too many series on the go, some of which I haven't been back to in ages, so I'm in danger of forgetting what was going on :rolleyes:

Book #37:  The Technician by Neal Asher

TheTechnician_zps82eb683d.png

From Amazon:

The Theocracy has been dead for twenty years, and the Polity rules on Masada – but it is an order that the rebels of the Tidy Squad cannot accept, and the iconic Jeremiah Tombs is top of their hitlist. Tombs, meanwhile, has escaped his sanatorium. His insanity must be cured, because the near-mythical hooder, called ‘the Technician’, that attacked him all those years ago, did something to his mind even the AIs fail to understand. Tombs might possess information about the suicide of an entire alien race. It’s up to the war drone Amistad to discover this information, with the help of an ex-rebel Commander, the black AI Penny Royal and the amphidapt Chanter. Meanwhile, in deep space, the mechanism the Atheter used to reduce themselves to animals stirs from slumber and begins to power-up its weapons . . .

Thoughts:

This is one of Neal's standalone 'Polity' novels and, as such, it doesn't really require any prior knowledge of his other books - although Amistad does appear in Shadow of the Scorpion, and the hooders and gabbleducks have certainly appeared elsewhere in his work.  This story is basically a race against time.  Twenty years ago, religious fanatic Jeremiah Tombs was attacked by the hooder known as the Technician (see cover art above) and - unlike all its other victims - survived.  In the intervening decades he has been nursed back to health and protected because it appears that the Technician downloaded something into his brain - something several opposing factions very much want to get their hands on.  What this download is and how it might change the course of Masadan history is what drives the story forward.

I think this is the seventh or eighth of Neal's novels that I have read.  I'm a fan, for sure.  But this one is the first that I have struggled with.  I felt it was too long, lacking in his usual dark humour, devoid of his usual memorable characters (apart from Tombs himself), and strangely lacking in his trademark action, taking far too long to come to the boil.  It was a little too preoccupied with religion and politics, too.  I also noticed an alarming amount of repetition of certain words, like he sat down to write sometimes and had a 'word of the day' that he had to use a predetermined number of times.  'Impinge' was one.  How many times that cropped up, I lost count.  And 'Euclidian'.  Dear Lord that came up a lot!   I thought, really, that it was only in the last quarter, where the proverbial seriously hits the fan, that the book really came alive. 

In that final portion, when he brings all the plot threads together cataclysmically, it becomes a great deal of fun, and it answers a lot of questions.  It almost saved itself in my eyes, but I have to recall the first half of the book and the lack of pace, which is what really unseated it for me, and is very surprising in an Asher novel. 

Something of a brave attempt, then, but tinged with a little disappointment.

6/10

^ I agree. Shame you didn't love the book (though you did like it), I'm glad to hear though you liked his other books. I have many Asher books on my TBR.

I saw! :smile:   Luckily you don't have this one - I'd say it'd be a bad place to start if it was your first Asher.

Tim, if you weren't enjoying The Skinner (though I can't imagine why! :D  ), you could always give Prador Moon a go.  It's a prequel to the whole Polity universe and it's relatively short, plus it's great! :smile:

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel - finished 13/06/13

Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden

Prophecy by S. J. Parris - finished 18/06/13

The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy - finished 27/06/13

The Odyssey by Homer

Something by David Gemmell, to be decided (probably either Hero in the Shadows or The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend)

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

The Technician by Neal Asher - finished 04/07/13

Pompeii by Robert Harris

The Silver Spike by Glen Cook - finished 22/06/13

The one no-one saw coming: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I'm going off plan again :rolleyes:  I'm diving straight into Blood Song.  Just couldn't wait :exc:

The one no-one saw coming: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Awesomesauce book - I hope you enjoy it. :)

I know this is awful (it's my age! :blush:  ) but I just can't remember how Replay ends, despite the fact that I loved it!  Can you (in spoiler tags) remind me how it winds up?  :)

I know this is awful (it's my age! :blush:  ) but I just can't remember how Replay ends, despite the fact that I loved it!  Can you (in spoiler tags) remind me how it winds up?  :)

Crikey, is this a test?  :lol:

Pam and Jeff's replays were getting shorter and shorter and they were thinking that they would eventually end and they'd die for good, then they died (again) and woke up the next morning and their lives carried on, and Jeff realised - as he had done with the replays - that the possibilities for the rest of his life were endless.  Or something like that.  Then the epilogue was another guy waking up in Norway having died somewhere in Africa (I think) and starting to go through the same thing.  I'm guessing he would've been the subject of the sequel.

Awesomesauce book - I hope you enjoy it. :)

Pam and Jeff's replays were getting shorter and shorter and they were thinking that they would eventually end and they'd die for good, then they died (again) and woke up the next morning and their lives carried on, and Jeff realised - as he had done with the replays - that the possibilities for the rest of his life were endless.  Or something like that.  Then the epilogue was another guy waking up in Norway having died somewhere in Africa (I think) and starting to go through the same thing.  I'm guessing he would've been the subject of the sequel.

Oh, crikey....don't talk about age.  :roll:  I was trying to remember exactly how Rook ended......not Replay.  Sheesh!!

Haha - sorry!   Thanks for filling me in. :)

Pontalba - I'm glad it's not just me!

Oh, crikey....don't talk about age.  :roll:  I was trying to remember exactly how Rook ended......not Replay.  Sheesh!!

Can't help you there, I haven't read Rook :lol:

Well this is vexing.  I was going to get Caliban's War, the sequel to Leviathan Wakes, for Kindle (as I have LW on Kindle), but it's £9.65 when the full-price paperback's only £8.99 (or £5.93 on Amazon).  Guess I'll wait a bit longer  :rolleyes:

Haha .. all Kindle users deserve to be vexed :D  :P You do know that when everyone goes over to Kindle (and I'm already one of the fallen so I don't know why I'm laughing) that they will shove their prices up mercilessly. All this discounting is just a way of tempting you to the other side :devcat: They'll be sticking it to you sooner or later.

No, seriously .. I'm very sorry you've got to wait a little longer to read the sequel to Leviathan Wakes .. perhaps perchance, there is a cheap copy of To Kill a Mockingbird to be had :D

Haha .. all Kindle users deserve to be vexed :D  :P You do know that when everyone goes over to Kindle (and I'm already one of the fallen so I don't know why I'm laughing) that they will shove their prices up mercilessly. All this discounting is just a way of tempting you to the other side :devcat: They'll be sticking it to you sooner or later.

Aren't all paperbacks discounted on Amazon as well?  :lol:

Nice try, though :P  :giggle2:  

No, seriously .. I'm very sorry you've got to wait a little longer to read the sequel to Leviathan Wakes .. perhaps perchance, there is a cheap copy of To Kill a Mockingbird to be had :D

Hee, I don't need to buy it, I'm going to borrow my mum's copy :D

Aren't all paperbacks discounted on Amazon as well?  :lol:

Nice try, though :P  :giggle2:  

Well they started it didn't they? .. the quest to shut the bookshops down and well done them for partially succeeding (because ... *hypocrite warning* ... I would never .. under principle .. by a cheap book from Amazon ;))

Obviously, cos my mum likes the same sort of rubbish you like :P  :giggle2:

:doh: I forgot to put protective clothing on (so annoying .. I knew I would need it :D) Anyhow, you'll be eating those words once you've read it sonny. 

Well they started it didn't they? .. the quest to shut the bookshops down and well done them for partially succeeding (because ... *hypocrite warning* ... I would never .. under principle .. by a cheap book from Amazon ;))

Oh for sure, and I think you could also lay some of the blame on supermarkets, charity shops, secondhand bookshops, ebay, people who lend books etc etc :shrug:

Book #38:  Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

bloodsong_zps6266e2a7.png

From Amazon:

We have fought battles that left more than a hundred corpses on the ground, and not a word of it has ever been set down. The Order fights, but often it fights in shadow, without glory or reward. We have no banners.

Vaelin Al Sorna's life changes for ever the day his father abandons him at the gates of the Sixth Order, a secretive military arm of the Faith. Together with his fellow initiates, Vaelin undertakes a brutal training regime - where the price of failure is often death. Under the tutelage of the Order's masters, he learns how to forge a blade, survive the wilds and kill a man quickly and quietly.

Now his new skills will be put to the test. War is coming. Vaelin is the Sixth Order's deadliest weapon and the Realm's only hope. He must draw upon the very essence of his strength and cunning if he is to survive the coming conflict. Yet as the world teeters on the edge of chaos, Vaelin will learn that the truth can cut deeper than any sword.

Thoughts:

The blurb above makes it sound like just the sort of generic fantasy I tend to run a mile from these days.  And the cover art is quite awful, which doesn't help.  In many respects, this is a very traditional fantasy novel:  young boy with mysterious heritage left on the doorstep of the equally mysterious Sixth Order, then going through apprenticeship, learning and honing skills, bonding with fellow apprentices etc etc yadda yadda yadda.  Yet, out of 99 reviews on Amazon, it has 86 five star reviews and an average rating of 4.62 out of over three thousand reviews on goodreads.  Eh?  What's that about, then?  Of course, similar could be said of Sanderson's The Way of Kings, and look where that got me . . .  :rolleyes:

Vaelin Al Sorna is ten years old when his father leaves him at the gates of the Sixth Order and rides away into the mist, leaving him to a future of incessant training and brutal tests, of murder and war.  But that's not quite how the story starts.  Cleverly, Ryan begins at the end, introducing us to a much older Vaelin, as a scribe relates their first meeting:

"He had many names. Although yet to reach his thirtieth year history had seen fit to garner him with titles aplenty: Sword of the Realm to the mad king who sent him to plague us, the Young Hawk to the men who followed him through the trials of war, Darkblade to his Cumbraelin enemies and, as I was to learn much later, Beral Shak Ur to the enigmatic tribes of the Great Northern Forest - the Shadow of the Raven. 

But my people knew him by but one name and it was this that sang in my head continually the morning they brought him to the docks: Hope Killer. Soon you will die and I will see it. Hope Killer."

What Anthony Ryan has done with such a standard set up is somehow quite amazing.  At nearly 600 pages long, Blood Song never felt to me like it dragged at any point.  I think the biggest compliment I can pay it is that it felt to me like I was reading a David Gemmell novel.  It has the feeling of a story that has been crafted and honed almost to perfection.  There is always something happening to hold the interest, and the characters are so well developed that you genuinely start to care for them.  There's no angst here, no shadow of evil in the east (or north or west or wherever it is today), no quest, no mystical trinket to be found before the enemy gets to it, no pages of boring description to bog it down, no magic system to distract from story or character.  It's lean and tight, with all the extraneous crap stripped away and, although it starts with Vaelin as a boy, it quickly moves beyond that period.  The story covers many years, so you won't reach the end of this book and find he's only 11 years old.  And I have to note that even thought this is the first in a series (called 'Raven's Shadow'), Blood Song stands very well on its own, concluding its own tale whilst leaving open avenues for further stories.

The framework may be generic, but Ryan turns that around with a pervading sense of wrongness, that there's something not quite right about Vaelin, the lessons he's being taught, or the actions he's ordered to take.  There are as many shades of grey here as there are in a Dulux catalogue.  It's full of twists and turns, love and death, and - whilst there is little in the way of prophecy or magic - there is a sense of destiny and how much control one can have over it.  There is violence but it's not particularly graphic, there are a couple of instances of the 'f' word but, apart from that, any swearing is mild.

I'm really glad that I took a punt on this book.  Apart from Joe Abercrombie, heroic fantasy seems to have become somewhat lost since David Gemmell left us.  It's quite exciting to find a new voice in the genre.  Anthony Ryan is one to be watched, I reckon, and Blood Song is very, very good indeed.

9/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong