Steve's Bookshelf 2013

Karsa Orlong

I was trying to work up the enthusiasm to start The Desert Spear today, but that damn audiobook of The Painted Man seems to have put me off it at the moment, it was so painful  :rolleyes:

The Plan 2

From the TBR list:

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - finished 17/04/13

Stonemouth by Iain Banks - finished 09/04/13

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle Book 2)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Gentleman Bar Steward Sequence Book 1) - finished 05/04/13

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey/Maturin Book 3) - finished 21/04/13

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive Book 1) - finished 22/03/13

Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds - started 23/03/13 - finished 28/03/13

The Cure of Souls by Phil Rickman (Merrily Watkins Book 4)

Re-reads:

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (about 20 years since I read this)

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (over 30 years since I read this!) - finished 30/03/13

Books I might buy:

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files Book 7)

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan (Kovacs Book 1)

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (Expanse Series Book 1)

Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney

Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis (Milkweed Tryptich Book 3)

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Shogun by James Clavell

The 'one no-one saw coming'

East of Eden by John Steinbeck - started 22/04/13

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not listened to the Painted Man audiobook... was it really that bad? I am about 2/3 into The Desert Spear, it is ok but very slow.

Yeah, it was awful, and it just made it sound so childish.  Very offputting, plus I've been reading some extremely bad reviews of The Daylight War.  I think I'll wait for your review :D

I think we should just get you an ordnance survey map for Christmas you will just look at it for ages :giggle2:  

:lol:  Only if it's on parchment and tells me how to get to Mordor snooty.gif  :giggle2:

I don't remember having problems with the audio for The Painted Man. As for The Daylight War, I've given up on it - it confused me by going back in time, and then it started dragging so much.

Oh dear :(  A mate bought The Daylight War for me for my birthday, so I'm feeling kind of obliged to read them, but I really can't summon up the will to do so at the moment  :(

Not on the inside, that I recall!

Actually, there are parts of the map inside :giggle2:   You'll probably appreciate Joe's views on maps in fantasy books.  Somewhat amusingly, each book he's published since writing that blog has had a map on the cover and other bits and pieces within  :lol:

Excellent reviews of Master & Commander and Post Captain there Karsa.

Thanks Will :smile:  

You mention how O'Brian gets the historical detail in there by osmosis, a good way of expressing it. What Iove about his writing is the way you are immersed so completely in that time - the very language the people speak is so perfectly placed for the era; after reading a few of his books I always discover my speech littered with expressions such as "Indeed", "Very good sir", "God damn your eyes" and of course "There is not a moment to be lost".

:lol:  Indeed! :giggle2:

I'm definitely finding myself getting into a rhythm when reading the books, which made the last couple very difficult to put down.

His humour is also very subtle, but as you say, some great laugh out loud moments, from quotes like this one for example (this is from memory): "Killick? Get the doctor aboard with all his dunnage, whatever it is, a pack of mice or a gorilla got with child by the bosun, he must be aboard within the hour."

:lol:  I think my favourite so far was in HMS Surprise when Jack got the sloth drunk, causing much Maturin outrage - "Jack, you've debauched my sloth!" :lol:

Hmm, Stover's 'Acts of Caine' books are finally getting a Kindle release in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1366969709926#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=acts%20of%20caine&sprefix=acts+%2Cdigital-text&rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Ck%3Aacts%20of%20caine

I had the first one in paperback but didn't read much of it and gave up, especially seeing as the second book was pretty much unavailable, unless you were prepared to pay a lot for it (which I wasn't).  Might be tempted to give them another go now.

Curses!  Tregillis's Necessary Evil  seems to have been released a few days early and I didn't realise.  My mate received his copy from Amazon yesterday   :irked:   I can see a trip to Waterstone's happening tomorrow ninja.gif  :exc:

Book #24:  East of Eden by John Steinbeck

EastofEden_zps8f2efdba.jpg

From Amazon:

An epic allegorical novel chronicling the fortunes of two families as they try to escape the sins of their forbears.  Set in the rich farmland of the Salinas Valley, California, this powerful, often brutal novel, follows the intertwined destinies of two families - the Trasks and the Hamiltons - whose generations hopelessly re-enact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel. Here Steinbeck created some of his most memorable characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity; the inexplicability of love, and the murderous consequences of love's absence.

Thoughts:

I have to say, I never thought I'd type the words 'East of Eden by John Steinbeck' at the top of one of my posts, but there they are.  I'm not entirely sure what made me want to read it.  I've seen it on my mum's bookshelf over the years, and I know she's read it several times and loves it, but her tastes and mine have never been exactly similar :lol:  At the start of the year, I kind of wanted to read a few books that are outside my usual fare, and I guess this qualifies.  So I borrowed mum's copy.  I couldn't find an image of the cover on this version of hers, which is a shame, so the one above will have to suffice.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can do the book justice, and I'm certain there are others here who will have a far better appreciation of its content than me.  I found it was the sort of book where sometimes I could read it very quickly, and at others I had to slow down and try and absorb it, yet the strange thing is that it is very easy to read.  The story itself could probably be described as straightforward, but it's in the characters - and their thoughts and their actions - where the depth shines through, and it's how they - for the most part - try to fight against the Cain and Abel template that I found fascinating.

The story is largely about two families: the Trasks and the Hamiltons.  Their stories are used as a framework on which Steinbeck hangs a lot of philosophising on human nature, how we live our lives, what we hope to get from it etc.  I found the truths in this could be evidenced by the number of times I had to stop reading and work through memories of things that have happened in my own life that it seemed to directly address.  I should add that none of these memories had anything to do with Cathy :hide:   :lol:

He uses mainly two characters for these philosophies: Samuel and Lee.  They were my two favourite characters in the book.  What a brilliant character Lee is.  I don't want to say too much about him, so as not to spoil it, but he (and Samuel) really came alive in my head.  But, then, most of the characters did so.  Cathy is a creation of such malevolence that I am actually quite surprised my mum likes the book so much :lol:  The strange thing about her - Cathy, that is! - is that she was the character who really pulled me into the book, just because I couldn't really believe what I was reading, and I had to see what she did next.  Her relationship with Adam Trask takes up most of the first half of the book.  The second half is mostly about the next generation, Caleb and Aron, and I spent most of that second part hoping and praying that they would not just re-enact, on some level, what had happened to their parents.

There's a fine sense of history about the novel and a vibrant sense of time and place.  Steinbeck obviously loved the setting for the novel.  At times it felt a little bit preachy to me and, at times, I wanted him to get on with it, but it's one of those novels that needs to meander and take its time about things.

Overall, it wasn't at all what I was expecting.  I'm glad I read it.

9/10

What's next? let me guess... Necessary Evil?

If the Waterstone's on Oxford Street has got it on my way home today!  If not, I'll be getting the Kindle version first thing in the morning, I think, and then getting the paperback when I see it (to complete the trilogy on the shelf) :smile:

The Plan 2

From the TBR list:

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie - finished 17/04/13

Stonemouth by Iain Banks - finished 09/04/13

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle Book 2) - dropped

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Gentleman Bar Steward Sequence Book 1) - finished 05/04/13

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey/Maturin Book 3) - finished 21/04/13

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive Book 1) - finished 22/03/13

Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds - started 23/03/13 - finished 28/03/13

The Cure of Souls by Phil Rickman (Merrily Watkins Book 4)

Re-reads:

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (about 20 years since I read this)

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (over 30 years since I read this!) - finished 30/03/13

Books I might buy:

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files Book 7)

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan (Kovacs Book 1)

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (Expanse Series Book 1)

Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney

Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis (Milkweed Tryptich Book 3) - started 30/04/13

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Shogun by James Clavell

The 'one no-one saw coming'

East of Eden by John Steinbeck - finished 29/04/13

:D