Frankie reads 2013

frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know why but I keep coming up with stuff I want to look into! :blush: I was in bed this morning, realising that as I'm now 31, I have lived one third of my life (if I were to live to past 90yo). If I read 80 books a year on average, but won't manage to reduce TBR more than with 10 titles per year... And keep on buying as much as I have in the past... *crunching numbers* well let's just say, I'm in big trouble! And please don't laugh Claire, I know you are good with numbers and could do those calculations at the drop of a hat :giggle2:

First of all. I thought Kylie was organized in her, er, extensive lists. My girl, you take the cake. I love it. I don't know how you do it, but I love it. I think we need both of y'all organizing us!

Although I firmly believe we are hopeless cases. :blush2::D Regarding number of books vs. number of years............./sigh/ I've stopped worrying about it. I know we won't catch up, but man, oh man, it's fun running.

Happy Reading!! :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

Oooh, cake! :D Can I have it and eat it as well?

Thanks pontalba for your kind words, you are too sweet :blush: I like lists and challenges, but don't for a second think that I'm as organized in real life as I am with my lists on here :giggle2: That's a whole other story.

It's fun running, indeed! And it's not the destination, but the journey :) I hope you have a great reading year too, pontalba! :friends3:

I have this odd piece of 'furniture' as in an odd piece of 'bookshelf' which I've had situated next to my bookcase in the bedroom and where I've shelved books that don't belong to any main categories of my bookshelves: they are not (auto)bios, they are not books on literature/authors, they are not classics or doggy books, etc. You get the idea.

Recently I got a new laptop and didn't have to use my crummy old desktop which meant I could stick the big ass monitor in a closet and I had a bit more table space. I moved around my furniture a bit and realised I could probably fit my CD 'tower' next to the bookcase in the bedroom, where the 'odd piece was. I measured the space and it was doable, and so moved the tower into the bedroom and was left with the odd piece. I realised I could put it on top of my bookcase in the livingroom, if it wasn't too broad and would hang over the right end of the bookcase in too dangerous a fashion, but again I did a bit of measuring and it was fine. I put the books that had been in the odd piece right back in and it looks nice.

However, now I'm thinking that as I'm trying to read more classics, maybe I should re-arrange the classics shelf and move some of them to the odd piece, moving the books from that to some other place. This might entice me to pick up a classic more often, and it would certainly look nicer. But then again, the odd piece is on top of a tall bookcase so maybe the novels wouldn't stand out as much... Ho hum, humdidum.

Do you still think the salty liquorice is okay, and have you eaten it all? Be very careful what you say, if you continue agreeing it was good, I might send you more, of some other variety, taking it up a notch :giggle2: We have some really hot hot salmiakki candy as well! I might actually insist on a webcam connection when you try Turkin pippurit, aka Turkish pepper! Heheeh!

Yes, we love it, though probably because we love liquorice and salt .. not had them together before but ... revelation ... they love each other. The hot spicy ones might be a different story .. Alan in particular is a bit wimpy with spice .. but I may not tell him and try and pass it off as strawberry flavoured or something. Will have my camera at the ready (how many is it wise to eat in one go? ;))

Thanks poppyshake! I'm determined to make some real effort with some of my reading challenges this year, and I'm also going to reduce mount TBR at least somewhat. I'll try and go without buying books as long as I can... I've lasted 11 days already! :D

Well done you .. you've got willpower. Have you always had it or is this something new? Did you get it for Xmas and if so do they ship to the UK? :D Good luck with your challenges, just chip away bits at a time, it'll soon look more manageable (sounds like my advice to Alan at dinner :D)

Stalk away, missy, you are very welcome!

Thanks! You won't regret it .. hopefully :D

In honour of your new theme .. here's a pic which I hope you won't mind me pinning up ..

vonnegut.jpg

Kurt Vonnegut and Pumpkin (a Lhasa Apso apparently :))

Bloody hell bloody hell, bloody hell! I've just been to the Joensuu library website, and it turns out that they got a load of positive feedback about the free book reservations during the anniversary year last year, that they've decided to continue with the free reservations!! :exc: :exc: :exc:

Oh dear oh dear, this is brilliant news :rolol::hyper: I remember how much fun I had reserving books for free at the library last year! Oh lordy lord :D

Yes, we love it, though probably because we love liquorice and salt .. not had them together before but ... revelation ... they love each other. The hot spicy ones might be a different story .. Alan in particular is a bit wimpy with spice .. but I may not tell him and try and pass it off as strawberry flavoured or something. Will have my camera at the ready (how many is it wise to eat in one go? )

The hot spicy ones are a bit different, they are hard candy on the outside which you can either sit in your mouth for a long time to enjoy it, or you can bite down hard on it, and inside there's this powder that's the really spicy stuff. That's the secret :D The most spicy ones are ones I don't think I'd be too comfortable with, and I don't buy them. I can't remember when the last time was that I ate one. Oh poor wimpy Alan... It would be rather daring and maybe even mean if I got you some of those and you didn't let him in on the secret of the spicy powder inside :giggle:

I'd say one at a time, and you can eat as many in succession as you'd like :D Or send the rest of the package to enemies... as always :D

Well done you .. you've got willpower. Have you always had it or is this something new? Did you get it for Xmas and if so do they ship to the UK? Good luck with your challenges, just chip away bits at a time, it'll soon look more manageable (sounds like my advice to Alan at dinner )

I think it's a mix of willpower and a very poor personal financial situation :D It helps if one has no extra money! Haha, I'm sure your dinners are wonderful and Alan manages to drool your carpets all wet in his excitement when he hears you starting the food preparations in the kitchen.

In honour of your new theme .. here's a pic which I hope you won't mind me pinning up ..

vonnegut.jpg

Kurt Vonnegut and Pumpkin (a Lhasa Apso apparently)

Oooh, I definitely don't mind, you are very welcome to add to the collection :friends3: Thanks poppyshake! I didn't know Vonnegut had a dog, but I suppose I don't know about all that many authors and their thoughts on doggies, in general. August Burroughs I knew for sure about :yes:

Edit: Oh poppyshake, I think you are going to be happy about a few of the book reservations I made last night for the library: Caitlin Moran's How To Be a Woman, Ron Jonson's The Psychopath Test and Rosamund Lupton's Afterwards!

:giggle: Aw, you're so cute when you're excited. :D

Well it was the best news all year! :D I immediately wrote about it on my FB feed, too, hehe!

You're going to have so many acquisitions this year!

I hope you are talking about free library reservation acquisitions, missy :D

.............Ron Jonson's The Psychopath Test and Rosamund Lupton's Afterwards!

I've read both of above, and certainly enjoyed them. Have you read Lupton's other one, Sister?

I've read both of above, and certainly enjoyed them. Have you read Lupton's other one, Sister?

That's good to hear, thanks pontalba! :) Yep, I read Sister last year and really, really enjoyed it. It was so well written and constructed and there were a few major twists. I picked it up based on recommendations on here and I wasn't disappointed! I don't know anything about Afterwards, but it's a Lupton novel, so I can't miss it :yes: Have you read Sister?

That's good to hear, thanks pontalba! :) Yep, I read Sister last year and really, really enjoyed it. It was so well written and constructed and there were a few major twists. I picked it up based on recommendations on here and I wasn't disappointed! I don't know anything about Afterwards, but it's a Lupton novel, so I can't miss it :yes: Have you read Sister?

Yes, that was the first of hers I read. Loved it! I'll definitely pick up anything she writes.

Oh crap.. I wanted to borrow a certain book from the library, but there are no copies in any which language, not in the town library or in the uni library. So I was browsing the pages of adlibris.com, bookdepository.com and play.com... And when I was on play.com I noticed there were these really cheap secondhand copies... I haven't bought secondhand copies from online bookstores in ages, because play.com's refused my debit card in the past and when I broke up with ex I couldn't really keep on asking him to buy me books on there, could I (eventhough I of course paid him back for them, duh). So I figured I might as well try to set up an account again, and quite unbelievably, this time they were okay with my debit card and tadaa, I have an account. Oh, this is going to be so bad.... And yeah, I bought the book I wanted to borrow in the first place. But it was only 4e. Very little. And I'm not buying any more books for months, that's for sure.

Well it was the best news all year! :D

And just think: you've still got the whole year to go for more good news! (Minus a couple of weeks.)

I hope you are talking about free library reservation acquisitions, missy :D

Yes, I was. But then I saw this...

tadaa, I have an account. Oh, this is going to be so bad....

:D Oh, you are going to be so bad this year! :giggle2:

I forgot to say earlier (although it probably goes *without* saying) that I am very envious of you getting The Psychopath Test!

And just think: you've still got the whole year to go for more good news! (Minus a couple of weeks.)

Indeed :D But I don't need any more great news for this year, this was good enough for me. Well not true, I'd also like to have great news about getting to study information studies or what have you, so I could become librarian... But I would be more than happy with just those two pieces of news for the year :yes: (I'll know about the library studies after March...)

:D Oh, you are going to be so bad this year! :giggle2:

I forgot to say earlier (although it probably goes *without* saying) that I am very envious of you getting The Psychopath Test!

Luckily I don't have the money to be bad this year :D This was just a one off. Fo sho :yes:

Have you checked your library if you guys have copies of The Psychopath Test? :shrug: Support your local library!

Oh crap.. I wanted to borrow a certain book from the library, but there are no copies in any which language, not in the town library or in the uni library. So I was browsing the pages of adlibris.com, bookdepository.com and play.com... And when I was on play.com I noticed there were these really cheap secondhand copies... I haven't bought secondhand copies from online bookstores in ages, because play.com's refused my debit card in the past and when I broke up with ex I couldn't really keep on asking him to buy me books on there, could I (eventhough I of course paid him back for them, duh). So I figured I might as well try to set up an account again, and quite unbelievably, this time they were okay with my debit card and tadaa, I have an account. Oh, this is going to be so bad.... And yeah, I bought the book I wanted to borrow in the first place. But it was only 4e. Very little. And I'm not buying any more books for months, that's for sure.

I don't think this'll affect you but just FYI, Play.com's in a bit of trouble. They're closing down their retail business but, from what I can gather, the marketplace is going to keep going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-20953357

I don't think this'll affect you but just FYI, Play.com's in a bit of trouble. They're closing down their retail business but, from what I can gather, the marketplace is going to keep going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...jersey-20953357

Thanks, I just heard about that on IRC when I was asking people if they wouldn't happen to have a copy of the book I was looking for.

Frankie

I'm a little confused --when you mentioned the free book reservations at your library .

Does that mean you can choose a book and they will purchase a copy for you to borrow, or does it mean that you normally have to pay to reserve a book and now you dont have to ?

WE have inter-library loan here,so if any library in the whole system has a book you want,they will send it to your closest library .

If you want a book they don't have,then you can request a book and they will consider purchasing it .

This system used to be much speedier,but due to budget cuts in the libraries, they dont get as many copies of new books,so you have a long wait sometimes .

Edited by julie

Frankie

I'm a little confused --when you mentioned the free book reservations at your library .

Does that mean you can choose a book and they will purchase a copy for you to borrow, or does it mean that you normally have to pay to reserve a book and now you dont have to ?

WE have inter-library loan here,so if any library in the whole system has a book you want,they will send it to your closest library .

If you want a book they don't have,then you can request a book and they will consider purchasing it .

It used to cost 1e to reserve a book at the library (from the books in their collection), but last year was the anniversary year (the library turned 150y.) and they decided to offer reservations for free. Due to the massive amount of positive feedback from the library patrons, they will continue to let us reserve books for free.

If you want to borrow something which the library doesn't have a copy of, you can suggest they acquire a copy. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, I don't know what it depends on. I've suggested maybe 10 books during the 12 years that I've lived in Joensuu and they acquired a copy of all of them.

I'm not familiar with the inter-library loan business. I think it can be done in some cases because when I was working at the library I would get books that had a note between the pages and the note would say 'thanks for the loan, with regards this-and-that-library'. I think if you ask a librarian if you could borrow a book that isn't in that library's database, they can check other libraries' databases and see which ones have a copy, and they can then ask the libraries if they wouldn't mind lending a copy.

I should ask my library guru about that... I need to know it all at some point! :)

Frankie

It sounds a lot like our system here ,that you can reserve books for free,or request that they purchase one. In our library, we are such a small town,we are just a branch of the bigger library.. Ours are by county,but then there are counties that are all in one bigger group that all share books within the bigger system. I'm not sure how many libraries are in it,but I'd say it's in a 50 mile radius .

I asked once who gets to pick what books the library purchases ,and there is a lady who works at our main County branch whose job it is tp purchase books.

Now THAT would be a fun job, wouldn't it ?

Have you checked your library if you guys have copies of The Psychopath Test? :shrug: Support your local library!

Nah. I'd rather buy it!

I don't think this'll affect you but just FYI, Play.com's in a bit of trouble.

I bet they wouldn't be in trouble if they started shipping to Australia. *I* would have kept them solvent!

Frankie

It sounds a lot like our system here ,that you can reserve books for free,or request that they purchase one. In our library, we are such a small town,we are just a branch of the bigger library.. Ours are by county,but then there are counties that are all in one bigger group that all share books within the bigger system. I'm not sure how many libraries are in it,but I'd say it's in a 50 mile radius .

I asked once who gets to pick what books the library purchases ,and there is a lady who works at our main County branch whose job it is tp purchase books.

Now THAT would be a fun job, wouldn't it ?

I'd love to be the Book Ordering Lady :D

Nah. I'd rather buy it!

I feel sorry for your library :(

Play.com are only going to be doing second-hand from now on - I wonder if they'll survive?

That I did not know. What on earth :o

Although, officially I DON'T CARE anymore. They've declined my account based on my debit card details. WTF?! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: So I'm not going to get the book I ordered yesterday after all, and in addition, I can't order anything else from there, either. Why?? Fine, have it your way. If you don't want my money, I'm glad to give it to BookDepository and Adlibris instead. Your loss, suckers! Stupid sonnova...

:motz::hissyfit:

I told ex yesterday that I'd finally gotten around to creating an account for play.com because I couldn't really ask him to order me books any longer, and he said he was pleased for me but if I needed, I could've just ask him to order books. I wonder if I should now, or should I just take this as a sign that I'm not meant to read the book? Or should I order it from Adlibris, the next cheapest choice. Their new copies were surprisingly cheap, but I didn't fancy the cover much...